UPSer Survival Guide

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
"Welcome to UPS." said the driver as he shoved the door shut to his already over packed package truck.
No driver would say that.

The thick exhaust from the fleet leaving the warehouse was enough to make anyone sick...especially those who were up so early that they couldn't stand to eat breakfast.
That part is true except it's not a warehouse.

A trip to the other side of the building reveals a tangle of drivers punching in as preloaders punched out.
Drivers don't punch in. We have diads.

Brown uniforms would only have to suffer the casual dressed loaders for a few more minutes, then their own struggle would begin.
That's pretentious sounding. We don't "suffer" inside employees. We're a team and most of us appreciate each other.

Anyone tough enough to make it as a driver could look back at the zombie-like preload fleeing to the parking lot and remember just how brutal things used to be for them.
The only thing "brutal" was the lack of sleep for those of us who also had to work a full time job. You either have what it takes to be a UPSer or you don't. If you have it, it isn't brutal. It's just one package at a time until it's done whether you're delivering packages or sorting in the sort aisle.

To compare a driver's day to a preloader is much like comparing an DVD to a Blu-ray.
One is more expensive than the other, but they operate with the same guidelines, principles and demanding work ethic. Lift...lower...lift...lower, scan package, repeat until done!
The methods of UPS may have changed over its 100 year existence, but the answer to every problem faced remains..."Don't give up...tough it out...smile and show your strength, respect those in higher positions, and never abandon your fellow employees in need."
A good work ethic is not demanding. It's an innate intangible that you either have or don't. It demands nothing because he who possesses it instinctively works hard. Preloaders usually don't scan packages. Also, drivers aren't doing a lot of lifting and lowering. We primarily locate a package on a shelf then grab it and go. Yes, there is some lifting and lowering, but it's not how I would characterize what we do.

How does one even find this unending courage and strength to lift, lower, position and scan?
Courage? It's cardboard...not a claymore mine or IED.

The answer lies within the tested, tried and true. UPSers have survived the company before
Which company before? This just doesn't make sense.

What I hope to accomplish here is a dialogue between the preload. supervisors, drivers and HR folks who have long weathered the years of boxes and labels.
HR "folks" weathered labels? May I have some of what you're smoking please?

Chapter one should be the overview of UPS operations, and also include the tips, tricks, cheats and success stories from all around the variable Brown-Nation.
We're not about cheating here.
and....Brown Nation?
15q9ik7.jpg

Not to be a dick, but your sentence structure and grammar is really bad. You should take some English composition classes before you attempt to write a book.

Last edited:

Re-Raise

No driver would say that.

That part is true except it's not a warehouse.

Drivers don't punch in. We have diads.

That's pretentious sounding. We don't "suffer" inside employees. We're a team and most of us appreciate each other.

The only thing "brutal" was the lack of sleep for those of us who also had to work a full time job. You either have what it takes to be a UPSer or you don't. If you have it, it isn't brutal. It's just one package at a time until it's done whether you're delivering packages or sorting in the sort aisle.

A good work ethic is not demanding. It's an innate intangible that you either have or don't. It demands nothing because he who possesses it instinctively works hard. Preloaders usually don't scan packages. Also, drivers aren't doing a lot of lifting and lowering. We primarily locate a package on a shelf then grab it and go. Yes, there is some lifting and lowering, but it's not how I would characterize what we do.

Courage? It's cardboard...not a claymore mine or IED.

Which company before? This just doesn't make sense.

HR "folks" weathered labels? May I have some of what you're smoking please?

We're not about cheating here.
and....Brown Nation?
15q9ik7.jpg

Not to be a dick, but your sentence structure and grammar is really bad. You should take some English composition classes before you attempt to write a book.
Damn TooTechie.. I was just about to ask you what you thought of this poem I wrote, but I think I will ask someone else now.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Perfect! So how did you end up getting unstuck? Any techniques that would be helpful to others who'll surely get stuck?
I keep a heavy duty tow rope in the package car that I bought at a garage sale for $5.

I also feed dog biscuits and give lots of love to the dogs of the customers on my route....virtually all of whom own 4x4 vehicles or tractors. You can see where this is heading.

When I get stuck, all I have to do is connect my tow rope to the bumper and just stand there with a pleading look on my face, and without fail the first person who passes by will either stop and pull me out or call a nearby family member/buddy/boyfriend with a 4x4 who can.

Good will, karma, and a $5 tow rope beats the hell out of waiting 2 hours for a $300 tow truck.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I thought it was pretty darn good. A few minor mistakes as I was reading it for the fun of it, not with a critical eye. Those can all be corrected easily.
I punch in, Yes I have a diad. But I still punch in. Just like I scan packages, but I still may say "I already sheeted that" .
I barely passed English in college. And I still dont understand a dangling participle. But somehow, I have survived.
I just try not to be critical, Goodness, don't we get enough of that?
I think, that alot of thought went into it. While we do not dodge landmines and IED's, you know, it is tough right now. No way in hell can you compare what we do to a military person, and no one did. I thought it was honorary to us, that someone wanted to write of our struggles. And make a story about it. I commend them.