UPSF satellite operations

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I was driving by a UPS package center & noticed there were a couple of Freight pups in the corner of the parking lot. Could this be the start of something?

Loco170Brownie

Thats funny, I see UPS friend trucks hauling UPS pups all the time. Leads me to believe A. UPSF is moving my work, or B. we use the same pups as need demands.

Leaning to A as I have started to see friend trucks del to homes on my route,

Our "new" UPGF pups look a lot like package pups except for the UPS Freight on the side. The other difference is that our taillights are horizontal while package pups are vertical

Rick

These are "zone drivers" ups has started a bunch of them in the past few months there filling in the map of our coverage with these people and once the freight grows there they will then look for a terminal to place them in.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I notice them at the Meadowland hub and they are usually filled with palletized load retainers.

On another note, I don't think Freights pups can be be connected to a package pup because we use two different styles of dolly that places the pintle hook higher on a Freight pup. I also think Freight dollys provide all the air lines where on a package dolly your lead trailer must provide one line.

lazydriver

I remember years ago when Preston freight went out of business and Carolina freight I think merged with ABF Somehow UPS package got some of their trailers and dollies. I hated pulling them the dollies were heavier and the trailers just had the old logos painted over. You could pull their trailer as a rear on a UPS dolly only.

spif91

I notice them at the Meadowland hub and they are usually filled with palletized load retainers.

On another note, I don't think Freights pups can be be connected to a package pup because we use two different styles of dolly that places the pintle hook higher on a Freight pup. I also think Freight dollys provide all the air lines where on a package dolly your lead trailer must provide one line.

True.......

Buckethead

we cant hook your dollys to our pintle hooks, or vise versa. but they still have the fifth coulpling in common. they can be mix-matched. Right?

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
we cant hook your dollys to our pintle hooks, or vise versa. but they still have the fifth coulpling in common. they can be mix-matched. Right?

Last I knew there is an industry standard where any brand 5th wheel can hook up to any brand king pin if there are that many manufacturers left.

So yes a UPSP pup can be hooked up to a UPSF pup provided the right dolly is available.

Are there any of those BNSF pups still around that had both the high & low pintle hooks on them?