UPS's best ideas - No commit time over relaxed, Xmas week

542thruNthru

I didn't realize that NDA was supposed to accommodate you.

I agree that it was a whole lot easier to run it in trace. We had late air and had to come back to the building but even with all of that my helper and I were still able to get off 175 stops, make a sweep of my bulk pickups, take a full lunch and still be punched out and gone by 1800.

The point was I'm only 1 driver and I had that much air through out the week. 175 stops is not peak numbers. My normal stop count is 130. I was going out with 290-310. Having to run all air before 12 means I would have to bring a lot of work back every day. The company made a decision that they would rather get all packages delivered than make a commit time.

Every driver in our building had huge numbers of NDA. So 300 drivers constantly bring back packages every day is worse than making a commit time.

wayfair

swollen member
This is all moot if UPS has told all shippers of the week's delivery procedures.

it's on the website

Peak-season service guarantees: UPS Air and international Air packages* picked up or delivered within the United States are guaranteed throughout the holiday season. Commitment times for Air and international Air packages scheduled for delivery Nov. 25, Dec. 18 - Dec. 24 and Dec. 31 will be extended as follows: UPS Next Day Air Early and UPS Worldwide Express Plus will be extended by 90 minutes and all other Air and international Air services will be extended to end-of-day. The guarantee is suspended for UPS Ground and UPS Standard shipments picked up or scheduled for delivery between Nov. 27 - Dec. 3 and Dec. 18 - Dec. 24. For further details, visit ups.com for the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions. Service guarantees are subject to change.

By The Book

Every driver in our building had huge numbers of NDA. So 300 drivers constantly bring back packages every day is worse than making a commit time.
Or, they could plan better and have more people on road delivering packages. If given the choice of either making commit times or not, most drivers will not care enough to make the commit times. It's sad the drivers are forced into giving bad service.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Perhaps but I still contend that 90 minutes relaxed would have been the better option for all involved. 90 minutes relaxed worked well in the past and I don't see why it wouldn't have worked well this year.

Did it work well in 2013??? No it didn't.

Not every center is as small as the BOG. We had routes with 300 Plus stops. In huge dense urban areas, the airs being run in trace didn't cause the issues you think it did. In fact it helped keep the system clean and not roll volume for days.

But please keep telling us how your experience in a 30 person building is a reflection of ups and how it works during peak.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
it's on the website

Peak-season service guarantees: UPS Air and international Air packages* picked up or delivered within the United States are guaranteed throughout the holiday season. Commitment times for Air and international Air packages scheduled for delivery Nov. 25, Dec. 18 - Dec. 24 and Dec. 31 will be extended as follows: UPS Next Day Air Early and UPS Worldwide Express Plus will be extended by 90 minutes and all other Air and international Air services will be extended to end-of-day. The guarantee is suspended for UPS Ground and UPS Standard shipments picked up or scheduled for delivery between Nov. 27 - Dec. 3 and Dec. 18 - Dec. 24. For further details, visit ups.com for the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions. Service guarantees are subject to change.
. Read the last sentence. Guarantees subject to change.

It's their get out of jail free card.

542thruNthru

Or, they could plan better and have more people on road delivering packages. If given the choice of either making commit times or not, most drivers will not care enough to make the commit times. It's sad the drivers are forced into giving bad service.

We are completely blown out with routes. We honestly do not even have enough room for another truck. We have 4 MDUs outside being loaded. We also leased another building for xmas. So I can not say that they can put another truck on. Look it's still a NDA. It's just not there at 1200. I believe the websites even say that it's not guaranteed.

Last edited: