UPS's New Years Resolutions

J

jibbs

100% sobriety. I'm trying to stop drinking and to kick the cigarette habit too. I really started smokin' like a chimney this peak, man... my lungs are suffering and I gotta cut that **** out.

I feel your pain..Same problem here for me!! Goodluck and keep us posted on your progress..Everytime I try to quit Big brown seems to push me over the cliff!!!I really hope you do it!!!!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
For those intrested, I tried the shots, patches, and cold turkey to stop smoking. The one thing that really worked for me was Chantix. The pros of it were, twice a day pill, never had any cravings while on it, and the first two weeks you can smoke (even though I stopped smoking a week into it), and I have stayed smoke free for over two years. The cons are the price(around 125 bucks per one month) insurance doesn't cover any of it, and it's a 3 month plan. I never had any real side effects ( unlike the patches which gave me weird dreams and hurt my muscles where I placed them over time).

With the price of cigerattes even higher than when I stopped, I think the whole price vs keep smoking argument is harder now. I'd recommend anyone serious and have tried the cheaper alternatives and failed, give this a shot as I can attest to it working personally.

As a side note, I'm no doctor and don't pretend to be one on here. I'm just giving you my first hand knowledge and use of this product to help stop smoking.

When I went to go get my D.O.T physical I was talking to the doctor about quitting smoking I told her i tried several things and asked her what she thought about Chantix? she said good method....but it is a prohibited drug!!! Just telling you what the doctor said.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Interesting considering when I went to get mine and I asked him about all the side effects and if it was ok to drive using it, he said as long as I don't have any of them I should be fine. He wrote the perscription and I was on it the same day. Maybe things have changed since I did mine, which was back in 2010.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Did you know that you are not allowed to drive while taking Chantix?

Probably can drive, but must get a waiver by the doctor who prescribed it stating in their opinion the drug nor its side effects will impair the driver from driving. I must get such a waiver every year (although not for Chantix); that's another thing, having to take the physical every year vs getting the 2-yr card.

STFXG

+1 for chantix. I did have crazy vivid dreams though. Also made me so nauseated by the 2nd week that I didn't want to smoke anyway. Only took it for 3 weeks, but it got me through the cravings. Ate a bag of life savers mints every day to kill the fixation. Was smoking two packs a day. Been 3 years now.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
For those intrested, I tried the shots, patches, and cold turkey to stop smoking. The one thing that really worked for me was Chantix. The pros of it were, twice a day pill, never had any cravings while on it, and the first two weeks you can smoke (even though I stopped smoking a week into it), and I have stayed smoke free for over two years. The cons are the price(around 125 bucks per one month) insurance doesn't cover any of it, and it's a 3 month plan. I never had any real side effects ( unlike the patches which gave me weird dreams and hurt my muscles where I placed them over time).

With the price of cigerattes even higher than when I stopped, I think the whole price vs keep smoking argument is harder now. I'd recommend anyone serious and have tried the cheaper alternatives and failed, give this a shot as I can attest to it working personally.

As a side note, I'm no doctor and don't pretend to be one on here. I'm just giving you my first hand knowledge and use of this product to help stop smoking.

Years ago, I asked my doctor about Zyban to quit smoking. He prescribed Wellbutrin, the same drug but marketed as an anti-depressant, so my insurance would cover it. Didn't work though, I felt really paranoid and gave it up in less than a week.