Upstate Got Hit By A Car

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was reattempting a COD yesterday afternoon. Approached a marked crosswalk and made eye contact with the car to my left. As I entered the crosswalk that motorist decided to proceed, striking me on the left hand side of my body between my hip and knee, knocking me to the ground. Thankfully he was going less than 5mph so the impact was minimal and I was not injured. To his credit he did get out of the car and repeatedly asked me if I was OK----he even pulled to the side to wait for me to come back from the stop to again ask if I was OK. Several other motorists also got out of their cars to make sure I was OK. I sent an ODS alerting them as to what happened and that I was OK to so that they wouldn't be surprised if someone called in saying I had been hit. The only thing I should have done that I didn't was get the license plate and driver's license information of the driver who hit me.

It's amazing how much concern your mgt team will have for you when they read an ODS message which starts "I have been hit by a car while in a marked crosswalk...." They wanted me to go the doctor and had my on-car finish the day with me. I am a little sore but will be going in this morning. I have a feeling I know what the topic will be at this morning's PCM.

Take the extra second or two to make sure they see you at crosswalks and, if something does happen, make sure to get all of the necessary information and communicate with your mgt team.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I do hope you are ok. Please let us know if you are treated like you had an accident. Make you do your DOK crap. Seems like it's always our fault. Management ride along?

CharleyHustle

Thanks for relating this happening. It highlights the fact of how difficult it is to see everything, hear everything, and expect everything when tasked with the amount of work we are given everyday. Glad to hear you are all right.

On "making eye contact", did the driver assume you were pausing to allow them to go first? As a teaching point, we need to make sure we and others are on the same page.

Now on the theme of BC. Next time walk out in front of a cute lady. Injuries are a great ice breaker. The next Mrs. Upstate could only be a "struck by" away.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
First off, glad you are OK!
I wonder if UPS Driver, postal workers, etc, are just not there as people and people don't see them.
People see with their brain ... not with their eyes.
I've seen some ad hoc examples of people just not seeing the ubiquitous brown uniform because their mind discards that information.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I was reattempting a COD yesterday afternoon. Approached a marked crosswalk and made eye contact with the car to my left. As I entered the crosswalk that motorist decided to proceed, striking me on the left hand side of my body between my hip and knee, knocking me to the ground. Thankfully he was going less than 5mph so the impact was minimal and I was not injured. To his credit he did get out of the car and repeatedly asked me if I was OK----he even pulled to the side to wait for me to come back from the stop to again ask if I was OK. Several other motorists also got out of their cars to make sure I was OK. I sent an ODS alerting them as to what happened and that I was OK to so that they wouldn't be surprised if someone called in saying I had been hit. The only thing I should have done that I didn't was get the license plate and driver's license information of the driver who hit me.

It's amazing how much concern your mgt team will have for you when they read an ODS message which starts "I have been hit by a car while in a marked crosswalk...." They wanted me to go the doctor and had my on-car finish the day with me. I am a little sore but will be going in this morning. I have a feeling I know what the topic will be at this morning's PCM.

Take the extra second or two to make sure they see you at crosswalks and, if something does happen, make sure to get all of the necessary information and communicate with your mgt team.

Glad you're okay man.

RolloTony Brown Town

I'm glad to hear you're doing okay upstate. Thank you for sharing this message. For ups drivers and pedestrians everywhere, with distracted driving being at an all time high, take those couple seconds and make sure. Again, it's good to hear you're alright man.

J

jibbs

I was just going to Like your post, Upstate, but then I thought that it might seem as if I was liking the thought of you getting hit by a car.

I'm glad it wasn't as serious as it could've been, and that the driver was responsible and aware enough to check up on the person he had just come so close to running over.

alwaysoverallowed

Awe that's nothing I broke my leg in three places yesterday and dislocated my ankle.

I do hope you feel better and that was a d!ck move to make you finish the route
image.jpg

HomeDelivery

yikes... alwaysoverallowed slightly derailed this thread, unless that was also from getting hit by a car... hope for a quick recovery, though (it's gonna take more than 3 months for that?)

don't assume that the driver should know to yield to pedestrians at the crosswalk. I'd just "wave" him/her to go on & then "briskly walk" across

in my state, there are select cities w/ signs right on the road to "yield to pedestrians/it's the law!"
yield-to-pedestrians-signs.jpg

the signs on the traffic posts just doesn't do it since most are on their cellphones talking/texting anyways

------------------------------------------------------------

OP, you only have a few more years to retirement & wish you well... hopefully, you don't have any underlying damage after-the-fact

oldngray

nowhere special
There was a driver in my center who WAS given a warning letter for getting hit by a car. For not going around to back of vehicle before crossing street. She was OK but still pretty :censored2:ty for the company to act that way.