Upstate Got Hit By A Car

T

TheBrownGuy

First off, glad you are OK!
I wonder if UPS Driver, postal workers, etc, are just not there as people and people don't see them.
People see with their brain ... not with their eyes.
I've seen some ad hoc examples of people just not seeing the ubiquitous brown uniform because their mind discards that information.

So true.
I can not even count the number of times people have committed crimes in front of me. They look at you and their mind says "Oh it is just the UPS guy".

Also many seem to block the UPS truck out of their mind while running right into it..."I didn't see your truck":confused2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That sucks Dave. Hope all is well.

Everything is fine. I was a little sore but nothing that would have kept me out of work.

My daughter actually agreed with Dragon in that I should have listened to my center manager when he suggested I go get checked out. She also chastised me for not getting the information from the driver or an official police report.

Johney

Everything is fine. I was a little sore but nothing that would have kept me out of work.

My daughter actually agreed with Dragon in that I should have listened to my center manager when he suggested I go get checked out. She also chastised me for not getting the information from the driver or an official police report.
Glad you are feeling better Dave. A center manager who actually suggests filing an injury report or did he suggest you go on your own? Had it turned out to be worse after I'd bet you'd catch some flack for not getting the drivers insurance info.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Glad you are feeling better Dave. A center manager who actually suggests filing an injury report or did he suggest you go on your own? Had it turned out to be worse after I'd bet you'd catch some flack for not getting the drivers insurance info.

The center manager strongly suggested that we file an injury report because we had two previous incidents where the employee was injured, chose not to seek medical care of file the report and then had to take time off due to their injuries. My center manager wanted me to go get checked out, wanted me to file the report and showed genuine concern for my well-being.

Had things gone sour I'm sure I would have caught flak for not getting the drivers insurance info.

My daughter works for an insurance company and deals with this stuff everyday, which is why she chastised me for being so nonchalant and also why she agreed with Dragon.

Truth be told I would have felt foolish to have gone to the doctor only to be told that I was OK----it would have been a waste of time for all involved.

Johney

I see his point now. I suspect had a day or two gone by and you did need medical attention he would have most likely got his butt handed to him had he not filed. Looking at it now I'm surprised he didn't file one anyway.

Johney

The sad part is that I could have actually made money off of the deal. I have Combined and they send me a check for $200 whenever I go to the ER.
You did the right thing. Hey I'm sure there are some out there who would have dropped like a rock and laid there until the ambulance showed up and milked it for all it's worth.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Glad you are okay but still it is a good idea to get checked out. I twisted my ankle on my route 12 years ago. Thought it was just a sprain so I tightened my boot and finished the day. When I got back to the building I filled out the injury report and drove myself to the hospital for x-rays and to get it wrapped. Much to my surprise the x-rays showed that I had a broken ankle and I was out for six weeks.

Z

ZQXC

From your wording, it sounds as if you were making a 2nd attempt on a COD in one day; why would you do that?

Could you have parked your truck in a way that would have prevented crossing the street on foot?

Johney

From your wording, it sounds as if you were making a 2nd attempt on a COD in one day; why would you do that?

Could you have parked your truck in a way that would have prevented crossing the street on foot?
Don't go and question his methods now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The stop in question is a restaurant which doesn't have time to deal with COD's during their lunch rush. I leave a delivery notice on the cash register. I am back in that area when I am making my pickups so I reattempt (dup stop) and the check is always ready. Yeah, I could stand around for 10 minutes and wait for them to write the check or I could spend 1 minute to leave the notice and another minute to reattempt----which one makes sense to you? Sheeting it as NM1 and coming back the following day would also be an option but I drive right by the stop in the afternoon so why not take care of them on the first day?

The intersection in question is a 4 way stop so to park without having to cross the street would mean having to drive past the stop, around the block and then double-parking in front of the stop. I was parked in a legal stop and crossed in a marked crosswalk.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Because it would be more profitable?

To who? We lose money on each subsequent attempt on a COD; in fact, when I went to driving school, we were told that the company was toying with the idea of adding a surcharge for the 2nd and 3rd attempt on a COD. Of course this never happened but it was discussed.

We used to have customers who would have us make the three attempts knowing full well that they would then put the package(s) on hold after the 3rd attempt. Thankfully UPS changed the policy and COD's are RTS'd after the 3rd attempt.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
For shame Upstate. Taking care of a customer instead of worrying about running early. Glad to hear someone else is more worried about service than metrics.

Z

ZQXC

Making eye contact with the car is not the same as making eye contact with the driver. Had you done the latter, it is unlikely that he/she would have struck you.