Use of Social Network Information to Discipline/Terminate Employees

Is it OK to discipline based on social network media information?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wkmac

I was wondering if anyone would pick the "I don't use social network media" option.

Brown Cafe is social network media, is it not?

Very much so regarding BC!

You are right on on your "watch the movie" comment.

High Five from me to you!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I was actually going to start one about you.

I was going to ask everyone to guess how much more longer you were going to beat the "birth certificate" issue to death.
I suppose I'll stop when barry finally releases all of his "sealed" records.
I'm still wondering just how he managed to get all those scholarships ?
And I really need to know who got better grades in college John Kerry or him ? I already know that GW did better than Kerry.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I suppose I'll stop when barry finally releases all of his "sealed" records.
I'm still wondering just how he managed to get all those scholarships ?
And I really need to know who got better grades in college John Kerry or him ? I already know that GW did better than Kerry.

I downloaded a portion of "Decision Points" to my Kindle and after reading just the first chapter I have gained a new insight in to the life of George Bush. There is a lot more to the man than the media portrayed.

over9five

Staff member
I downloaded a portion of "Decision Points" to my Kindle and after reading just the first chapter I have gained a new insight in to the life of George Bush. There is a lot more to the man than the media portrayed.

The book is excellent, I'm about 1/2 way thru. So much behind the scenes stuff we never knew. Wait till you read the Katrina chapter...

wkmac

Upstate,

Since you are such a heavy movie goer, have you seen "W"? I have to admit at first I did not because I thought it would be a slam job and I wasn't interested in that. However, I actually found the movie insightful and I came away having some sympathy for the guy and it really revolved around his relationship with his dad whom he couldn't please and his love for baseball which I also love the game.

Bob Costas did an interview several years ago during the Bush years on his radio show with former baseball commiss. Fay Vincent and G.W. Bush came up in the conversation. It was pure luck and chance that I heard it but it turns out that during W's Texas Rangers years, he had thrown his name in for the Commiss job and tired to lobby Vincent and the late Bowie Kuhn to support his effort. According to Vincent himself, both he and Kuhn rejected W, and quite honestly he never IMO gave a real good reason why either, and not long after that, W made his decision to seek the governorship of Texas and the rest is as they say, political history. I do believe in my heart of hearts that the politics was just to please his dad and try and gain some favor with him but for W his heart was in baseball.

After that interview, I always had empathy for W because I really felt he loved baseball and wanted the commiss job to feed that love (and not in bad way) but the motivation of Vincent and Kuhn to oppose him just seemed suspect to me. The movie also IMO suggested this as well (or it did to me) although pleasing his Dad seemed very important too. I also have always believed that W and Jimmy Carter both shared one very important common point and that is they both were heavily surrounded by the wrong people.

When I saw W at the ALCS game in Texas, the man looked genuinely happy, content and most at ease as I've ever seen him. I've always wondered in the back of my mind did Vincent and Kuhn deprive us of a good baseball commiss but we'll never know will we!

over9five

Staff member
In his book, W again and again describes the support he always got from his parents. I cannot think of one passage where he says he couldn't please his father. He seems to have been undecided in his younger years about what he wanted to end up doing, and he did many things before politics.

One thing you will realize when you've read "Decision Points" is Ws love of family.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In his book, W again and again describes the support he always got from his parents. I cannot think of one passage where he says he couldn't please his father. He seems to have been undecided in his younger years about what he wanted to end up doing, and he did many things before politics.

One thing you will realize when you've read "Decision Points" is Ws love of family.
You're not going to gain any real insight into the guy by reading a book that he wrote about himself, you're just going to read self serving descriptions of how he wants other people to see him. Not surprisingly, like most politicians, he paints himself in a pretty positive light. I mean gosh, "he loves his family"? Wow that's just huge, man! Who could have guessed? :happy-very:

over9five

Staff member
You're not going to gain any real insight into the guy by reading a book that he wrote about himself, you're just going to read self serving descriptions of how he wants other people to see him. Not surprisingly, like most politicians, he paints himself in a pretty positive light. I mean gosh, "he loves his family"? Wow that's just huge, man! Who could have guessed? :happy-very:

Ahh, I forgot. He is a Republican therefore he lies and cannot love his family.

My bad.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
A growing number of major employers are monitoring social network sites and using information gathered to discipline and/or terminate their employees. Many of these companies, including UPS, have issued social media guidelines to their employees outlining what is acceptable and what is not.

I have no problem with employers disciplining and/or terminating employees based on information gathered from social media networks. I don't facebook but if I did I wouldn't post anything there that I wouldn't say face-to-face. I also wouldn't post anything that would/could portray my employer in a negative way.

Since when does any employer have the right to discipline any employee for anything they do on their own time? Do you think people are the property of their employer and should have to behave only as the employer wante at all times. Seriously, I thought the days of ownership of human beings went out with Abe Lincoln. I could care less what UPS thinks about what I post here or anywhere else. This is my time and I will use it for and say whatever I want, think, or feel. And noone will do anything about it!!

Anything more than that is censorship or slavery!!!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Ahh, I forgot. He is a Republican therefore he lies and cannot love his family.

My bad.
I didn't mean that he doesn't love his family, I meant "so what?". Most people love their family. But that's exactly the kind banal pablum that passes for scintillating insight in this kind of book.

over9five

Staff member
I didn't mean that he doesn't love his family, I meant "so what?". Most people love their family. But that's exactly the kind banal pablum that passes for scintillating insight in this kind of book.

Easy Jones, I'm just a truck driver...

I was responding to Wkmacs post that W had had problems with his father. The "love of family" was not a chapter in the book, it was more like a common background theme that ran thru it. It seemed very honest to me, but I'm sure GWB haters will see it in a whole 'nother light!

over9five

Staff member
So, is that a problem?

No, and I can't confirm this, but another member sent me this:

images

Fethrs and AJ