Using personal days for a vacation week?

KevinW

So, there is a week that I needed to take off. I couldn't get the week for my vacation because it was booked but I asked my supervisor if I can use all five of my personal days for the one week and he approved it. But for some reason, my union rep told me it's one of the worst things I can do, that it will bite me in the butt in the future and could potentially ruin my chances to go full time this year. I don't understand why this should be a problem, I have the days and I gave plenty of notice. Any thoughts?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
So, there is a week that I needed to take off. I couldn't get the week for my vacation because it was booked but I asked my supervisor if I can use all five of my personal days for the one week and he approved it. But for some reason, my union rep told me it's one of the worst things I can do, that it will bite me in the butt in the future and could potentially ruin my chances to go full time this year. I don't understand why this should be a problem, I have the days and I gave plenty of notice. Any thoughts?
Not sure about personal days we have option days.
If you have option days, you can call off any day you need to if something comes up and they can't do anything about it. If you use them all up early in the year, you could get yourself into trouble later if you're the kind of person that has attendance issues.

KevinW

Not sure about personal days we have option days.
If you have option days, you can call off any day you need to if something comes up and they can't do anything about it. If you use them all up early in the year, you could get yourself into trouble later if you're the kind of person that has attendance issues.

I looked on the Time Off Viewer on UPSers and it says I have 16 hours of Option Time and 8 hours of Sick Time. I'm a part time package handler. Does the 16 hours mean five days?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Yeah I just found out the 16 hours are for 4 days. Would I still be allowed to take the week and use the 4 option days plus one sick day?
You need to ask your steward.

I've only had to call in unscheduled a couple days in the past few years but I still save my option days just in case. Your union steward gave you good advice to save those days in case something comes up.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Using your contractually negotiated days off will not affect your FT chances in the least. No idea what your Union rep was referring to.

As long as your sup approved you using all your days at once, go for it and enjoy your week off.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Southern Supplement, which I guess you're not under is as follows Art 60 section c

(C) Effective each calendar year, all seniority employees, excluding part-time employees hired after August 1, 2002 shall be entitled to seven (7) days by combining two (2) personal holidays with the equivalent of five (5) days sick leave. part-time employees hired after August 1, 2002 will be entitled to this benefit after being employed three (3) full calendar years and having worked one hundred and fifty-six (156) reports the prior year. In order for a seniority employee to he eligible for this benefit, he/she must have been employed one full calendar year and have worked one hundred and fifty-six (156) reports during his/her prior calendar year. As a result of changing from contract year to calendar year no employee may gain nor lose option benefits.

I typed the bold lettering for others to think they can circumvent the vacation selection system because they can't get the week they want off and string together 5 days in row. 5 days are meant for sick days, after the third they can require a doctors note to return to work.

In our Supplement you can choose before vacation selection if you:

Option 1 sell back vacation
Option 2 take an extra week scheduled in seniority order
Option 3 7 days to be used as outlined above

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Using your contractually negotiated days off will not affect your FT chances in the least. No idea what your Union rep was referring to.

As long as your sup approved you using all your days at once, go for it and enjoy your week off.
If it's not in writing, it never happened. I'd also refer to Article 6 in the master if deals like these were going around.

KevinW

Circumvent the vacation system? Sorry, things come up in life, I have a family wedding out of the country that week and that's more important. In my hub, I get 5 option days and 3 sick days and I should be able to use them whenever I want.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Circumvent the vacation system? Sorry, things come up in life, I have a family wedding out of the country that week and that's more important. In my hub, I get 5 option days and 3 sick days and I should be able to use them whenever I want.
Good for you, I don't care what you do, as long as it wouldn't effect me and you do it within the boundaries of the contract.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Southern Supplement, which I guess you're not under is as follows Art 60 section c

Apparently he is not.

I'd also refer to Article 6 in the master if deals like these were going around.

There is no extra contractual agreement. He has 4 personal days that he would like to take.

The CBA does not specify that they cannot be taken consecutively.

His sup, based on the manning, has approved his request. He also agreed to throw in 1 sick day.

The CBA also does not specify that a sick day must, and only can be used, for a call in on that day.

Yes, it is going outside the box for the sick day, but it is not a contractual violation. It happens all the time.

Apparently he is not.

There is no extra contractual agreement. He has 4 personal days that he would like to take.

The CBA does not specify that they cannot be taken consecutively.

His sup, based on the manning, has approved his request. He also agreed to throw in 1 sick day.

The CBA also does not specify that a sick day must, and only can be used, for a call in on that day.

Yes, it is going outside the box for the sick day, but it is not a contractual violation. It happens all the time.
Where I'm at personal days have to be approved unlike option 3 days. If that week is booked up for vacations, I seriously doubt any supervisor is going to approve them and leave himself short handed.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I typed the bold lettering for others to think they can circumvent the vacation selection system because they can't get the week they want off and string together 5 days in row.

No contractual violation to string together 5 personal days. If UPS approves it, done deal. Whether 5 separate, or 5 stringed together. Does not matter.

5 days are meant for sick days

Does the Supplement define what a sick day is? And what is meant by the "equivalent" of five (5) days sick leave.

after the third they can require a doctors note to return to work.

Yes they can but if they give you the days off, they know you are not sick and are not going to require a doctors note.

And one last thing. If any sick days are not used, are they paid off at the end of the year? If yes, they are really not sick days. They are the equivalent of a sick day, or just a personal day.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
No contractual violation to string together 5 personal days. If UPS approves it, done deal.

I would agree with 99.9% of that.

Reason being.... it should apply to everyone. Not just a chosen few.

He better hope someone with more seniority doesn't get denied.

If (and if) a higher seniority member was denied, they would have to grieve it.

That being the case.... what's the remedy ?

A paltry promise from the company ?

-Bug-