Using personal days for a vacation week?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Reason being.... it should apply to everyone. Not just a chosen few.

I agree.

No side deals. But we know that's never gonna happen

It's not a side deal. UPS has to approve or deny all personal days off. The staffing allowed for the OP to use his personal days. They were approved, and I would hope that the OP isn't an exception, that UPS would do this for anyone.

Like Bug said, it should apply to everyone.

I agree.

It's not a side deal. UPS has to approve or deny all personal days off. The staffing allowed for the OP to use his personal days. They were approved, and I would hope that the OP isn't an exception, that UPS would do this for anyone.

Like Bug said, it should apply to everyone.
Like I said. Just as long as no one ahead of him gets denied.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Be sure not to miss any before your week, or, if you do use the extra sick day you have. In the Southern they can use option days towards any absense you have.

In my building it was entirely up to the PT supervisor who entered payroll and they almost always charged me an option day for any day I missed. Other guys who were buddies with that supervisor would simply be scheduled off and keep their option days in the bank for other days they needed off. This may be the procedure everywhere.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm we aware of that but no supervisor is going to grant days months ahead of time without knowing who else is going to ask for any of those days off.

You would be surprised at what they do for PTers to keep them around. Do you realize how many areas cannot maintain the PT workforce in enough numbers to keep sorts going without sups working?

And, contractually, they only have to let a certain number of employees off on a given day. So if someone ahead of him in seniority wants some time off that week, they will grant it. They will only be short one or two employees and sups will work and do the job.

But you could be right. This sup that granted his time off may be new and not realize how personal days work. By seniority.

You would be surprised at what they do for PTers to keep them around. Do you realize how many areas cannot maintain the PT workforce in enough numbers to keep sorts going without sups working?

And, contractually, they only have to let a certain number of employees off on a given day. So if someone ahead of him in seniority wants some time off that week, they will grant it. They will only be short one or two employees and sups will work and do the job.

But you could be right. This sup that granted his time off may be new and not realize how personal days work. By seniority.
He will find out when he has to do his job for him. Lol

km3

Sounds like they should raise PT wages. This peak would have been one for the ages if they weren't offering a $250/week bonus for new hires and seasonals through the end of 2016 and advertising that fact on the radio every 3 minutes. It's actually frightening to think of how different things could have gone...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So, there is a week that I needed to take off. I couldn't get the week for my vacation because it was booked but I asked my supervisor if I can use all five of my personal days for the one week and he approved it. But for some reason, my union rep told me it's one of the worst things I can do, that it will bite me in the butt in the future and could potentially ruin my chances to go full time this year. I don't understand why this should be a problem, I have the days and I gave plenty of notice. Any thoughts?
FMLA may work for you? Check it out.