Using personal days for a vacation week?

Taking care of a family member in need at an optional wedding event won't fly with FMLA either.
Maybe not in this case since the OP didn't mention a family member needing help. If you are the caregiver and have all the FMLA paperwork at least started bringing a family member to a wedding would very likely be legit. FMLA is something everyone should become familiar with. You can take FLMA time off for a lot of thinks including emotional support during a illness.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
FMLA requires 1250 hours in the previous year as a requirement you don't automatically qualify as a part-time employee. I think UPS requires you to have 5 years seniority as a part-time employee before they recognize it, I looked into it a long time ago and can't remember the specifics.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If you are the caregiver and have all the FMLA paperwork at least started bringing a family member to a wedding would very likely be legit.

If you have the paperwork approved, to care for a family member with a severe illness, you should already be off caring for this member. Going to a wedding while you are already off caring for this member is fine and covered.

But, if you have intermittent leave, and request a week off to take this family member to a wedding outside the country, see how fast that gets denied.

FMLA is something everyone should become familiar with

I agree

You can take FLMA time off for a lot of thinks including emotional support during a illness.

According to the law, no you cannot, unless you are the caregiver. Now, I know there is always exceptions to the law and such, so I am curious.

Is this your opinion?

Have you used it for this reason?

Or did you just read this on the internet?

Straight from the US DOL Website

FMLA applies to all public agencies, all public and private elementary and secondary schools, and companies with 50 or more employees. These employers must provide an eligible employee with up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave each year for any of the following reasons:

• for the birth and care of the newborn child of an employee;
  • for placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care;
  • to care for an immediate family member (spouse, child, or parent) with a serious health condition; or
  • to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition.

bbsam

Staff member
So, there is a week that I needed to take off. I couldn't get the week for my vacation because it was booked but I asked my supervisor if I can use all five of my personal days for the one week and he approved it. But for some reason, my union rep told me it's one of the worst things I can do, that it will bite me in the butt in the future and could potentially ruin my chances to go full time this year. I don't understand why this should be a problem, I have the days and I gave plenty of notice. Any thoughts?
Do I know you?

If you have the paperwork approved, to care for a family member with a severe illness, you should already be off caring for this member. Going to a wedding while you are already off caring for this member is fine and covered.

But, if you have intermittent leave, and request a week off to take this family member to a wedding outside the country, see how fast that gets denied.

I agree

Is this your opinion?

FMLA applies to all public agencies, all public and private elementary and secondary schools, and companies with 50 or more employees. These employers must provide an eligible employee with up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave each year for any of the following reasons:

• to care for an immediate family member (spouse, child, or parent) with a serious health condition; or
  • to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition.

Last edited:

I agree

According to the law, no you cannot, unless you are the caregiver. Now, I know there is always exceptions to the law and such, so I am curious.

Is this your opinion?

Ok

I agree

Is this your opinion?

One more try. The wedding thing might be pushing it a bit but when you are on FMLA you make the call, you are telling UPS when you are taking time off

My understanding of FMLA is either you are the patient or the caregiver. Emotional support is a huge part of being a caregiver.

This is not my opinion but the opinion of the doctor. The doctor fills out the paper work and tells UPS what you will be taking time off for. The day you call for FMLA you are given a case number which make you eligible and then you give the forms for the doctor to fill out.

I have used it for this reason. My wife had stage 3 breast cancer and since i'm a truck driver and not a doctor a lot of what I did was support. One example is that I did not go to all the chemos because I had a lot of help from family and friends, but we all went to the last one for a celebration afterwards. My management team could not have been more supportive during treatment so I did not abuse the FMLA. I would never judge anyone on when they should take time off to care for a loved one.

Everything we read on the internet is true.

Did you also read on the US DOL website that UPS must have all this information posted for everyone to see?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Emotional support is a huge part of being a caregiver.

Yes it is. But if someone else is the caregiver, you cannot use FMLA to be there for emotional support, over and above the caregiver. But you can use FMLA to be the caregiver.

My wife had stage 3 breast cancer a

Sorry to hear that. That is a covered FMLA reason.

I would never judge anyone on when they should take time off to care for a loved one

Me neither. But caring for someone is far different than the proposed issue of using FMLA to take someone to a wedding.

Everything we read on the internet is true.

Yes, it is.

barnyard

KTM rider
He better hope someone with more seniority doesn't get denied.

That is a big chance to take. There are a couple of high seniority guys in my building that take their option days all in a row. They can do it because the chances of someone bumping them are way low. I have had about 2/3rds of my option days denied because there were too many off with higher seniority. Mondays and Fridays are out of the question for me from May until late October.

That is a big chance to take. There are a couple of high seniority guys in my building that take their option days all in a row. They can do it because the chances of someone bumping them are way low. I have had about 2/3rds of my option days denied because there were too many off with higher seniority. Mondays and Fridays are out of the question for me from May until late October.
I think the OP is going to be disappointed. He might be better off trying to make a vacation trade. It might cost him a few dollars.

I always have at least one guy who "needs " my vacation week.

My going price is $500

barnyard

KTM rider
If the OP is high seniority PT, it may not even be an issue. I would not want to place a bet on a low seniority FT person though.