Vacation ? - finally got full time - always a long time at our hub

Observer

Finally got full time after several years - a lot of people (drivers) retired over the summer - so there were several positions offered ----as far as vacations- do they use your original seniority date from when you started or is are your vacation weeks figured only when you gained seniority for the full time. Went full time in June 2016.
From what I remember you keep your total vacation hours. So my question is - will they only allow me to use June on forward the first year? Live in the Midwest -
If I selected a couple of weeks in the spring - will they just be paid out? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

rod

Retired 22 years
I would recommed asking at your center to see how its done there. You're going to get 10 different answers here.

Box Ox

will they only allow me to use June on forward the first year?

Where I am you can use your vacation weeks any time of the year in the calendar year following the move to FT. Go FT in June 2016 and you can vacation starting January 2017 as long as the limit for a given week hasn't already been met by higher seniority drivers during sign up.

I think you keep your total time off, but weeks are paid out at 40 hours instead of 15.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
April is wide open (except Easter week).

That's as close to summer vacation as you will get.

ManInBrown

I'm pretty sure in my local or my center they don't allow first year PT to FT drivers take vacation. I've heard they just pay them out. That might have been a previous center manager who was trying to take advantage of new drivers? I have no idea. But one PT to FT driver told me he didn't take vacation his first year. They were paid out

iowa boy

Where I'm at, if you went full time June 2016, you could take all of your vacations anytime after June 2017 as long as the weeks are open.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Where I was, your seniority date was your seniority date. Didn't matter if you were PT or FT. It was figured from your original date. Now, you picked by seniority in your current classification. So you may be at the bottom, and your choices will be limited as to the desirable weeks, but you have them coming.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Sounds like he knows how vacation works just not how vacation works in a FT transfer situation.
Appears you've graduated from the UpstateNY school of charm. Congrats!
When you choose to use an image of John Goodman as your avatar, you have no choice but to be an edgy bad ass?

Dr.Brownz

Finally got full time after several years - a lot of people (drivers) retired over the summer - so there were several positions offered ----as far as vacations- do they use your original seniority date from when you started or is are your vacation weeks figured only when you gained seniority for the full time. Went full time in June 2016.
From what I remember you keep your total vacation hours. So my question is - will they only allow me to use June on forward the first year? Live in the Midwest -
If I selected a couple of weeks in the spring - will they just be paid out? Thanks for any help.

Here they gave us credit for PT time toward FT seniority date. I was PT for less than a year, they moved my seniority date (for vacation picks/accrual anyway) back by a few months. Before the PT credit was added my date would have been the first day of my 30 day probation period.