vacation time

massbrown

I am returning to work after being on worker's comp for over 2 years. Does anyone know if I get vacation this year? Do I need to work a certain amount of time ti get vacation again?

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"
Vacation time should not be an issue. Hopefully, you were notified for your pick. Workers comp should not be an issue,now. New contract who knows?

UPS Lifer

WOW! You have been out for 2 YEARS and one of your first questions is how much vacation time do you get this year? ROFLMAO

You have to work to earn vacation pay. You will be eligible for the time off but you do not earn pay until you work. If you get 6 weeks a year - for every 2 months you actually work you will earn 1 week of pay. You can schedule the time, but the pay will be prorated.

I am just curious why you are so worried about vacation after being off for two years.??? I realize that being laid up is not the best way to take time off but it sounds like you really don't want to go back to work ... do you?

massbrown

It's not that I don't want to go back. I'm just hoping I don't have to wait a year to get vacation time again. It would be difficult going from lots of time with the family to no vacation time with them for a year.

UPS Lifer

I can't blame you for not wanting to go back for what ever reason... after 2 years it will be hard but you will have to get used to it. There are enough holidays to help get you through and like I said.... you can take the time... but you do have to earn the pay!

Good luck to you!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have to admit that when I first read your post I had to suppress a laugh; I mean, you just had 2 YEARS off and the first thing that you are worried about is whether you will get vacation time this year or not. Actually, to be fair, in your earlier thread you did ask what would be in store for you when you came back, but now you seem more concerned with more time off.

However, after taking a moment to think and after reading Helen's reply, (Helen, it would actually be 8 months, not 1 year), and also after reading Lifer's reply, I would think that you would be entitled to a prorated vacation period. I assume from your question that you were not included nor contacted when vacations were bid for the year as your return date was not certain. I will admit that I am unclear as to what the rules would be as far as whether you would be limited to whatever weeks are still open or if you would bid based upon your seniority in the bldg, which would then mean that all those beneath you in seniority would potentially have to rebid their vacations, which I don't see happening, so they would most likely limit you to the first option, bidding the weeks that are still open.

Bad Gas!

You used to have to have 156 reported work days to get all of next years vacations.It may have changed to 1880 hours in new contract in the southern local for all vacations of the next year....So, after being off all last year, you may be screwed out of vacation pay for this year.That said, you may be able to get the time without pay but you would want to work a day of off time time week so you keep your benefits going unless you want to pay $155 for the week....Also, you don't want to take much time off this year so you can qualify for next years vacations....Question: Did they ever try to buy you out?...The reason i ask is because I have a good friend who has been out for over a year,lost her benefits and the doctors are telling her to think about a by-out and she doesn't want it..She wants to get better and return...soon..

trickpony1

UPSLifer-
Unlike management, the drivers have to actually work for a living.
The OP has been off work for 2 years which would suggest he/she had serious surgery and is worried about working a sustained period of time without a break.
Let's hope the company has enough sense to let the OP start work mid week and with a light load instead of dumping a maxed out pkg car on him/her on a Monday. This would be called "work hardening". But then we have to remember what company we are dealing with........

BTW, 5-6 weeks of pay (the OP's lost vacation time) may not be alot of money to you but it is to us.

filthpig

I am returning to work after being on worker's comp for over 2 years. Does anyone know if I get vacation this year? Do I need to work a certain amount of time ti get vacation again?
In Central States, if you are out on disability, you do not get vacation until you have been back a year, the logic being that you've pretty much been on paid vacation anyway. I think your eligibility for vacation is based on how much you worked the previous year.

UPS Lifer

UPSLifer-
The OP has been off work for 2 years which would suggest he/she had serious surgery and is worried about working a sustained period of time without a break.
Let's hope the company has enough sense to let the OP start work mid week and with a light load instead of dumping a maxed out pkg car on him/her on a Monday. This would be called "work hardening". But then we have to remember what company we are dealing with........

BTW, 5-6 weeks of pay (the OP's lost vacation time) may not be alot of money to you but it is to us.

Trickpony
I take umbrage with your statement about management actually working for a living. Have you ever walked in a manager's shoes? If you have not than you have no ability to really understand a management person's job.

I have walked in your shoes though. I have had to come back after an injury and drive a full load, I know what you are talking about.

A manager with wisdom will treat a returning employee (one that has been off an extended time) as we would a new hire and give them a graduated work load.

Not knowing the situation of the return of this employee, we must assume that he is returning because he is 100% and he will have to manage a load like any other driver after an initial "break-in" period which will not be long. It should not be expected to last long either!

You come off like you are better than the next person at UPS because you are a driver.... a macho working man!

Most management folks work as hard as you and your tone is very condescending! You are better than that! If there are folks that go into mgmt because they think it is easier than driving they will not last long and I think you know that also.

There is no easy job at UPS!

Bad Gas!

yeah..I agree..There are no apparent easy jobs at UPS.As bad as driving is some days..there is no way I would trade it in for the TIE.The TIE's get stuck between a rock and a hard place..That said..they know what they are getting into..They are pushing for more money...or power..Most on-car sup's would come back to driving in a heartbeat if UPS mgt would let them...Good luck sup's..wouldn't wanta be ya!

tieguy

Banned
UPSLifer-

my my such an angry spitefull man. Can't imagine working with the guy , probably gets pissed when the sun shines too much.
Goes balistic whenever someone cracks a smile. Probably reads the obits during lunch to cheer him up.:happy-very:

broncobros1

UPSLifer-

Yeah...management doesn't work at all. It is a real pleasure getting to talk to drivers like you everyday and dealing with the customers that you PO...get a grip! Let's also remember that the company that we are "dealing with" pays your mortgage! I can hear you now that "I don't owe them anything; I earn my pay!" ...if you hate the company so much go try to find a job elsewhere and see if it pays the bills as well. What a whiner!

trickpony1

my my such an angry spitefull man. Can't imagine working with the guy , probably gets pissed when the sun shines too much.
Goes balistic whenever someone cracks a smile. Probably reads the obits during lunch to cheer him up.:happy-very:

Tie-
did you notice how UPSLifer responded to my post without any "name calling", "spinning", "tap dancing" or any other nonsense?

hmmm.......must be the difference between a manager with class and one without.

trickpony1

Oh look...I'm turning red!

for your info:

it wasn't me that turned you red;
I'm a feeder driver not a PC driver;
I don't recall saying I hate the company, jsut a few select individuals who are out of control and accountable to no one;
I don't admire your "love it or leave it" attitude that seems so prevelant in management.

I do appreciate your concern though,,,,,,roflmfao

Yeah...management doesn't work at all. It is a real pleasure getting to talk to drivers like you everyday and dealing with the customers that you PO...get a grip! Let's also remember that the company that we are "dealing with" pays your mortgage! I can hear you now that "I don't owe them anything; I earn my pay!" ...if you hate the company so much go try to find a job elsewhere and see if it pays the bills as well. What a whiner!
I reckon it all depends on your definition of the word "work". If managers are preforming physical labor (work)they are in violation of the contract. If a manager is busy with actual managing (work), they are doing their job.
I really take exception with your claim that UPS pays my mortgage as well as your dreamed up driver reply of "I don't owe them anything; I earn my pay!". The fact is, I owe UPS a fair days work for a fair days pay. What I do with that fair days pay in my decision. When I pay my mortgage it is me, NOT the company, that is paying my mortgage, with money I EARNED. Forget your manager script, it's getting old.