Vacation/weekly bid

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Kanovic, Nov 5, 2019.

1. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut Dumpster, INABAG

We pick all our weeks at once, in seniority order.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

Maybe your Local was discussing making a change to a different schedule ?

In 2002, the amount of people on vacation (during the summer months) was

increased from 15% to 17%.

3. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

Yes they can sell back their vacation(in September). So can we but people like to bid vacation and then work it. Something about the taxes I'm told.

We have specific language that says no driver can work during their vacation.

Either way you're right I'm not a expert on the southern or any contract really. :)

4. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

It must be practical or feasible because no one is allowed to work vacations here.

5. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

Uh....

I was referring to me, not being an expert on the Southern Supplement.

But, thanks for "taking one for the team".

:biggrin:

6. 542thruNthru

Lol I know what you meant. I was just agreeing that neither am I. It was a long night so I'm not typing clearly.

7. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

I agree.

I don't think it refers to a driver wanting to work while on his scheduled vacation.

8. scooby0048

scooby0048 This page left intentionally blank

That sucks for the lower guys. Never being able to get a prime spot off would drive me nuts. I like how its done here in Central. First round then a second round. It helps but does not totally eliminate missing important events. I'm 14th out of 31 so I even get burnt once in a while.

Wish they did that here.

9. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

Where I worked, several guys worked their vacations every year. If I remember correctly, You had to actually take 1 week of vacation, but could work the rest. Several times in my feeder career, When I was off, I'd get a call from management asking me If wanted to come in and work. I had the same reply every time. "Don't call me when I'm on vacation." They finally got the message.

10. cosmo1

cosmo1 Perhaps. Staff Member

Yes, it does. But that's the way it's set up. And it's nice when you spend your last few years at the top of the seniority list.

I was asked a couple times to swap vacations after everybody picked. I refused because I felt that would screw all the people who picked in between us. The only fair way would be to rebid all vacations.

11. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

I was in feeders a long time (29 years) and there was a big influx of new drivers over a short period of time. I was asked quite often to swap with a junior guy for a variety of reasons. I only did it one time. Guy came to me and told me his daughter was on a traveling softball team, and they were going to a tournament in Colorado over the 4th of july weekend. I felt bad for the guy since I remember missing a lot of my kids' stuff because of my job. However I had a caveat: I told him I wanted a souvenir t-shirt from Colorado, and a couple of pounds of deer sausage. (he was a big hunter) Well, he came through with the t-shirt, but I'm still waiting on that deer sausage. If he ever comes to one of the old farts get-togethers, I'm going to remind him. Feeder drivers have long memories, after all.

12. 542thruNthru

Especially when it comes to food. ;)

13. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

Actually they would have only had to rebid the vacations for the drivers between you and the one who requested the swap but, you are right in that it would have been unfair to swap directly.

14. cosmo1

cosmo1 Perhaps. Staff Member

Maybe you didn't notice that I said I was on top of the seniority list for a few years.

TTKU, Dave.

15. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

Irregardless they would only need to rebid between you and the other driver, not all the way down to the lowest seniority driver.

IAACU----I Am All Caught Up

16. Major English

Major English Member

Now drop and give me 20!!!

17. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

h5f8hhd.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  18. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

Nice and simple.

19. bowhnterdon

bowhnterdon Active Member

. Just the way it should be, in the Atlantic it says employees are not to work on Vacation, but some do. Especially inside hourlies

20. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

You do.
    This very thing happened in my center. I called my BA, he called labor, labor called HR, HR called my center manager, green light of death came on on my board, I called the center, boss said that I was working the route, the regular guy is on vacation.

The contract does not give any rights to work to a person that is on vacation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List