Vacation/weekly bid

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
That's exactly how it is done here minus the third round. The problem with us is that we are a smaller center and there are only so many slots available to take off and some of the higher seniority guys take two at a time.

I know, not practical or feasible, but there should be a stipulation that people cannot work through their vacations.
We pick all our weeks at once, in seniority order.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Did they amend it or something, because I remember at a meeting when discussing the changes, people overreacted and thought that was how it was going to be. I wouldn't have remembered from back in '90.

Maybe your Local was discussing making a change to a different schedule ?

In 2002, the amount of people on vacation (during the summer months) was

increased from 15% to 17%.

542thruNthru

They can work their vacation, but they have to declare it in September (for the year)

and there is no provision for them to break up a week into separate days.

But.... I'm not the expert on the Southern Region. ;)

Yes they can sell back their vacation(in September). So can we but people like to bid vacation and then work it. Something about the taxes I'm told.

We have specific language that says no driver can work during their vacation.

Either way you're right I'm not a expert on the southern or any contract really. :)

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
That's exactly how it is done here minus the third round. The problem with us is that we are a smaller center and there are only so many slots available to take off and some of the higher seniority guys take two at a time.

I know, not practical or feasible, but there should be a stipulation that people cannot work through their vacations.
It must be practical or feasible because no one is allowed to work vacations here.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
In reading that article, I doubt that applies to someone working part of a scheduled

vacation, but probably if you are coming back after an absence of some sort.

ie: workers comp, short-term disability, call-off, sick days.... etc.

The reason being, is because of their vacation language;

"In lieu of time off, employees, at their discretion, may take the pay for said weeks. However, the employee must notify the Employer during September of each year of this request."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18southernsupp.pdf

There is no provision that allows them to break it up into single days or the

ability do it "on the fly" like the Central Region language.

I agree.

I don't think it refers to a driver wanting to work while on his scheduled vacation.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
We pick all our weeks at once, in seniority order.
That sucks for the lower guys. Never being able to get a prime spot off would drive me nuts. I like how its done here in Central. First round then a second round. It helps but does not totally eliminate missing important events. I'm 14th out of 31 so I even get burnt once in a while.

It must be practical or feasible because no one is allowed to work vacations here.

Wish they did that here.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Where I worked, several guys worked their vacations every year. If I remember correctly, You had to actually take 1 week of vacation, but could work the rest. Several times in my feeder career, When I was off, I'd get a call from management asking me If wanted to come in and work. I had the same reply every time. "Don't call me when I'm on vacation." They finally got the message.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
That sucks for the lower guys. Never being able to get a prime spot off would drive me nuts. I like how its done here in Central. First round then a second round. It helps but does not totally eliminate missing important events. I'm 14th out of 31 so I even get burnt once in a while.

Yes, it does. But that's the way it's set up. And it's nice when you spend your last few years at the top of the seniority list.

I was asked a couple times to swap vacations after everybody picked. I refused because I felt that would screw all the people who picked in between us. The only fair way would be to rebid all vacations.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I was asked a couple times to swap vacations after everybody picked.
I was in feeders a long time (29 years) and there was a big influx of new drivers over a short period of time. I was asked quite often to swap with a junior guy for a variety of reasons. I only did it one time. Guy came to me and told me his daughter was on a traveling softball team, and they were going to a tournament in Colorado over the 4th of july weekend. I felt bad for the guy since I remember missing a lot of my kids' stuff because of my job. However I had a caveat: I told him I wanted a souvenir t-shirt from Colorado, and a couple of pounds of deer sausage. (he was a big hunter) Well, he came through with the t-shirt, but I'm still waiting on that deer sausage. If he ever comes to one of the old farts get-togethers, I'm going to remind him. Feeder drivers have long memories, after all.

542thruNthru

I was in feeders a long time (29 years) and there was a big influx of new drivers over a short period of time. I was asked quite often to swap with a junior guy for a variety of reasons. I only did it one time. Guy came to me and told me his daughter was on a traveling softball team, and they were going to a tournament in Colorado over the 4th of july weekend. I felt bad for the guy since I remember missing a lot of my kids' stuff because of my job. However I had a caveat: I told him I wanted a souvenir t-shirt from Colorado, and a couple of pounds of deer sausage. (he was a big hunter) Well, he came through with the t-shirt, but I'm still waiting on that deer sausage. If he ever comes to one of the old farts get-togethers, I'm going to remind him. Feeder drivers have long memories, after all.

Especially when it comes to food. ;)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, it does. But that's the way it's set up. And it's nice when you spend your last few years at the top of the seniority list.

I was asked a couple times to swap vacations after everybody picked. I refused because I felt that would screw all the people who picked in between us. The only fair way would be to rebid all vacations.

Actually they would have only had to rebid the vacations for the drivers between you and the one who requested the swap but, you are right in that it would have been unfair to swap directly.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Actually they would have only had to rebid the vacations for the drivers between you and the one who requested the swap but, you are right in that it would have been unfair to swap directly.

Maybe you didn't notice that I said I was on top of the seniority list for a few years.

TTKU, Dave.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Irregardless they would only need to rebid between you and the other driver, not all the way down to the lowest seniority driver.

IAACU----I Am All Caught Up
h5f8hhd.jpg

barnyard

KTM rider
My question is if I sign the weekly bid to run a said route for that while and the driver decides to come work a few days who has the right over the route?

You do.
This very thing happened in my center. I called my BA, he called labor, labor called HR, HR called my center manager, green light of death came on on my board, I called the center, boss said that I was working the route, the regular guy is on vacation.

The contract does not give any rights to work to a person that is on vacation.