video/photo recording?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
"I'm working. I'm bending over, and I can see him standing there staring at me with a video camera. It makes me uncomfortable to think he might be filming my cleavage."

No dishonesty. No accusations of harassment. Just an expression of discomfort and concern at a potentially hostile work enviornment. You dont have to make accusations, you only have to say the right buzz words. I would never advocate making false accusations against anyone.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
got a text from my friend at a socal hub he says they have a full time sup thats been
going around video recording them and taking pictures of them. he said the full time sup has
been trying to write ppl up for whatever he can im just wondering if this is okay for management to do? i dont think i have ever seen this in my hub only pictures i see sups take is for damages
of leakers and safety examples.

The sup is probably a perv getting off.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
"I'm working. I'm bending over, and I can see him standing there staring at me with a video camera. It makes me uncomfortable to think he might be filming my cleavage."

No dishonesty. No accusations of harassment. Just an expression of discomfort and concern at a potentially hostile work enviornment. You dont have to make accusations, you only have to say the right buzz words. I would never advocate making false accusations against anyone.

That makes a little more sense than your original post.

It still won't be enough to get them to stop.

UPS just says that we film everyone. If you're worried about showing the twins, wear a higher cut shirt.

soberups

That makes a little more sense than your original post.

It still won't be enough to get them to stop.

UPS just says that we film everyone. If you're worried about showing the twins, wear a higher cut shirt.
I'm a guy so I could care less. The point is, I think it would be enough to get them to stop. HR and the legal department would compare the perceived benefit of a management person walking around with a video camera versus the liability of a sexual-harassment claim and its attendant costs, and the decision would be an easy one.

I don't think anyone would disagree with, or complain about, UPS installing surveillance cameras inside its facilities. But there is a big difference between an installed camera versus one that is being held and aimed directly at you by a management person standing 20 feet away.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm a guy so I could care less. The point is, I think it would be enough to get them to stop. HR and the legal department would compare the perceived benefit of a management person walking around with a video camera versus the liability of a sexual-harassment claim and its attendant costs, and the decision would be an easy one.

I don't think anyone would disagree with, or complain about, UPS installing surveillance cameras inside its facilities. But there is a big difference between an installed camera versus one that is being held and aimed directly at you by a management person standing 20 feet away.

I agree that there is a difference. You are correct.

I just don't see that a complaint of "perceived" sexual harassment would stop them.

Again, UPS would just show any attorney or court system the video, and just say we video everyone, male and female.

Edit. If she was the only one being taped, I agree that she may have a good case and the taping would probably stop.

If 50 others are also being taped, oh well.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
It always strikes me that so many perfectly innocent people get singled out for some random reason... Deny reality if you want, but as a center manager, I have had many people play games and think they are wise guys and try to screw up the works. Not all, but a few that draw attention to themselves and FORCE management to arrest their behavior. Believe me, I have told many folks to just knock it off and go back to work, but society and UPS is made up of all types of people with all kinds of "logic".

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
OK. Lie to HR.

By the way, HR will interview her, and her statements will go into a report before they act on it and investigate.

False report. Dischargeable offense.

All I'm suggesting is not to do what Sober suggested. Too much fallout.

Live with the cameras for now.
The guy NEVER said to lie about it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The guy NEVER said to lie about it.

He did not directly say lie, but in his earlier post, which he clarified in a later post, he said to call HR and tell them that the sup was looking down her shirt and this would stop the video recording.

Don't know about you, but I take this as telling someone to lie. We all know this was not the truth.

He would be video taping her from a distance, not up close and personal.

Sorry, but calling HR and saying this would be a lie.

He did clarify his post and I could buy the clarified story, to a point.

browntroll

got more info from my friend. he says the full time that was filming them and recording them was using this
to show the pt sups to tell them how they are "allowing" ppl to just stand around and not work. also he was doing it
to try and make him self look good by bad mouthing employees to the manager.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
UPS really is a prison, with very scary and sociopathic management people that couldn't hack it elsewhere...in that light, if management wants to videotape me out in the open, so be it. I can take my time, use the restroom, chat with co-workers/customers/etc. and enjoy myself. All things I normally don't do. ;)

soberups

He did not directly say lie, but in his earlier post, which he clarified in a later post, he said to call HR and tell them that the sup was looking down her shirt and this would stop the video recording.

Don't know about you, but I take this as telling someone to lie. We all know this was not the truth.

He would be video taping her from a distance, not up close and personal.

Sorry, but calling HR and saying this would be a lie.

He did clarify his post and I could buy the clarified story, to a point.

You are correct.

My earlier post was worded very poorly and, upon rereading it, I can see how it could easily be interpreted as advocating dishonesty and false accusations. My whole point was that UPS management is a buzz word oriented culture, and it is possible to throw a few of the right buzz words around without accusing anyone of anything.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Just file a harassment grievance. Article 37-Management Employee Relations. Get as many people to do the same. The camera should disappear shortly thereafter.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You are correct.

My earlier post was worded very poorly and, upon rereading it, I can see how it could easily be interpreted as advocating dishonesty and false accusations. My whole point was that UPS management is a buzz word oriented culture, and it is possible to throw a few of the right buzz words around without accusing anyone of anything.

Thank you for the clarification.

That was the way I took your original post, but I did mention that you clarified it in a later post.

I have done it too. I have posted something and read it later and had seen that it did not come across as I intended.

And yes, certain buzz words just mentioned, not even acted upon, can get the full attention of UPS.