Virtual Time Study

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Fat chance depending on the size(cars you run a day) of your center I bet you lose what equals to a route or two.
Probably. I always hope for the best and prepare for the worst, either way overtime or bonus, it all goes in the bank.

upsgrunt

In short, the less on area miles you have in relationship to allowed time (from your stops\pkg allowances) the more allowance per mile you get. The more on area miles you have in relationship to allowed time (again stops\pkg allowances) the less allowance per mile you get.

If you are saying that lower miles increases paid day and increased miles lowers paid day, then I'm confused.
In fact I will declare BS because I've been on that side of the boat as well and have come back underdispatched.
More can't be less and less more- that's ridiculous. IE cannot override the laws of physics no matter how you try to explain it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you are saying that lower miles increases paid day and increased miles lowers paid day, then I'm confused.
In fact I will declare BS because I've been on that side of the boat as well and have come back underdispatched.
More can't be less and less more- that's ridiculous. IE cannot override the laws of physics no matter how you try to explain it.
I don't think he's saying that less=more, he's saying that the allowance per mile is dynamic rather than static, which assuming that's true is something that I didn't know.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think he's saying that less=more, he's saying that the allowance per mile is dynamic rather than static, which assuming that's true is something that I didn't know.

I think I know what he is trying to say. Let's say you get an allowance of 1 hour to deliver a residential subdivision which typically gets 30 stops in which you drive 10 miles. Monday you deliver 40 stops while driving only 8 miles--you will receive a 20% increase in the mileage allowance for that area. Tuesday you deliver 40 stops but you have to drive 15 miles in order to do it--you will lose 50% of your mileage allowance for that area. Keep in mind that this gain or loss can be offset by gains or losses on the rest of the route. In general, the more miles you drive, the higher your planned day.

tourists24

I think I know what he is trying to say. Let's say you get an allowance of 1 hour to deliver a residential subdivision which typically gets 30 stops in which you drive 10 miles. Monday you deliver 40 stops while driving only 8 miles--you will receive a 20% increase in the mileage allowance for that area. Tuesday you deliver 40 stops but you have to drive 15 miles in order to do it--you will lose 50% of your mileage allowance for that area. Keep in mind that this gain or loss can be offset by gains or losses on the rest of the route. In general, the more miles you drive, the higher your planned day.
sounds good in theroy huh?

W

want to retire

Not a theory. That's how it works in reality. Miles are money.

Long, long time ago......when we were on paper.....a sup told me if you're backing up.....you're losing time....forward gains time=under allowed=keeping the target off your back.....

beentheredonethat

upsgrunt stated he had identical stats except on one day he had 49 more miles then the other day. He indicated his dispatch only increased only 36 minutes. His point that with "everything else being equal" he should have had a lot more planned time. see his post below.

Two days last week, I had almost identical stats except for the fact that one day I had 49 more miles. My dispatch increased exactly 36 minutes. I asked my center manager how that is possible because even if they were all at 60 mph then my dispatch increase should be 49 minutes. Hell, I don't think anyone can average 30 mph on a route with all the stopping; so realistically my dispatch should have been 98 minutes more.

...In short, the less on area miles you have in relationship to allowed time (from your stops\pkg allowances) the more allowance per mile you get. The more on area miles you have in relationship to allowed time (again stops\pkg allowances) the less allowance per mile you get.

Some people will say a mile is a mile and you should get the same time.

However, consider a country route where you have to drive 1 mile between each stop on average. The driver gets in, accelerates to speed limit and drives the 2 minutes or so (assuming 30 mph) to get to next stop slows down and stops.

Next consider a driver in a dense area where there is 1/5 mile between each stop. The driver gets in, accelerates and shortly thereafter arrives at the next stop. A lot of time spent in acceleration and braking during that 1/5 of a mile. If you put a stopwatch on the driver and had it running only while the driver was driving (including the start time, stop time). The first driver would spend a lot less time driving then the second guy over the same mile. (since the second guy had to start\stop 5 times to only once for the first guy).

My point that I wrote is that in the example of a driver with a mile between stops (on average) he will spend less time driving each mile then a driver who has to start\stop 5 times each mile since his stops are 1/5 mile away from each other.

The way the allowances work is that it gives a different amount of planned time per on area mile based on how much other work you have. This variance gives more planned time per mile for drivers who have shorter distances between stops (due to the starting and stopping).

I hope that clears it up.

Re-Raise

upsgrunt stated he had identical stats except on one day he had 49 more miles then the other day. He indicated his dispatch only increased only 36 minutes. His point that with "everything else being equal" he should have had a lot more planned time. see his post below.

My point that I wrote is that in the example of a driver with a mile between stops (on average) he will spend less time driving each mile then a driver who has to start\stop 5 times each mile since his stops are 1/5 mile away from each other.

The way the allowances work is that it gives a different amount of planned time per on area mile based on how much other work you have. This variance gives more planned time per mile for drivers who have shorter distances between stops (due to the starting and stopping).

I hope that clears it up.

That doesn't explain why 49 miles only adds 36 minutes. Are they to and from miles or on area miles? Which are figured at 82 miles an hour?

Buck Fifty

That doesn't explain why 49 miles only adds 36 minutes. Are they to and from miles or on area miles? Which are figured at 82 miles an hour?

Yes it does, you know how when a supervisor goes 10 miles to go get a misload, then goes another 15 miles to deliver it. If you google it, the grievance will only pay you 30min, yet if you actually stat the real time it took,its usually 45 min to an hour. Thats how the virtual study works. Does this clear it up ?

beentheredonethat

You are still thinking of everything is exactly the same... then add 49 miles (at the end of day). .Why did only 36 minutes get added. You are thinking about it incorrectly. Since it's very unlikely that he did exactly the same thing and then the company had him drive 49 more miles (within the same defined area) to deliver one more stop.

Let's review what I said earlier.. Put a stop watch on the driver and turn it on when he starts driving and turn it off when he stops driving.

For Driver 1. He just completed his first stop of the day and he gets in car and drives one mile to get to the second stop. At the point he stops the car, Emergency brake on, keys out etc. How much time went by for that first on area mile? (Not important exact amount of time).

For Driver 2. He just completed his first stop. he gets in car and drives 1/5 of a mile and comes to his second stop of day. At that point he stops the car, emergency brake on, keys out etc. The stop watch pauses. He delivers to this stop, then he gets back in car and drives another 1/5 of a mile (accelerates, brakes etc) to the next (third) stop. he does this 5 total times. At the 6th Stop of the day he has driven (1 mile of on area miles) the same total miles as Driver 1. Do you think this driver who just drove a mile spent more time , the same time or less time driving that one mile as compared to driver 1 who drove the whole mile all at once?

I think most of you will agree driver 2 took more total time behind the wheel for that one total mile he drove as compared to driver 1. Please keep in mind, I'm assuming similar geography similar speed limits etc.

The time study, uses a similar analogy and similar theory to give more time per on area mile when he has more work to do. And less time per on area mile when there is less work (Similar to how driver 1 would take less time for that one mile then driver 2 took).

I hope that explains it better.

upsgrunt

I see what you are trying to say, but the allowance still has to be realistic. Even 49 miles on a 6 lane interstate at 66 mph takes longer than 36 minutes.

Re-Raise

He said the area was the same as the day before and the number of stops were the same. Apparently he had a couple of air stops or rural deliveries that added the extra miles on day 2.

So you are saying they somehow adjust your per mile allowance daily based on your number of stops? Even if the stops are in the same delivery area?

S

speeddemon

This is how ups is now get used to this. They are going to steal any and every bit of time from us all. Do you really think they want to give us bonus? Do you think that they think that we deserve bonus?? You sound like a great driver and this is your reward. Sorry about this but join the club the convict club and there the warden govener prison guard.

This is so sad but true. I used to run under everyday. About -.60. Now I do good to be +.70. Pathetic.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I guess we are getting ready for a VTS. I had to fill out paperwork on Monday, identifying some stops as Resi or Bus and where they are delivered. My cover driver didn't know all the stops when the paperwork was handed out last week.