Visible tattoo's

upsdude

OK WHERE TO BEGIN.
I AM HEAVILY TATTOO'D , ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO IN A GENERAL CONVERSATION WITH MY D.M. HE INFORMED ME THAT EFFECTIVE 8-1-08 (UPON NEW CONTRACT'S START ) UPS HIGHER UP'S WOULD BE GUNNING FOR GUYS LIKE MYSELF. AND THAT 1 NEW JERSEY DRIVER HAD ALREADY LOST IN ARBITRATION . UPS WOULD NOW REQUIRE ALL VISIBLE TAT'S BE COVERED LONG SLEEVES AND OR PANTS YEAR ROUND. OR BE TERMINATED.
ME IM A HUMP , I WELCOME THE CHALLENGE,I ACTUALLY HAVE A HIGH POWERED LAWYER READY TO GO ON SUCH A SUIT ( FAMILY MEMBER ) .
:angry:. AFTER ALL I WAS HIRED IN A COLLARED SHIRT AND DOCKER TYPE SHORTS THAT REVEALED MOST OF MY TATS AT THE TIME . IF IM NOT MISTAKEN AND I COULD BE THAT IS JUST ....B.S. DISCRIMINATION AT IT'S FINEST.
NOW TODAY MY LOOP PARTNER WHO DOES THE MIRROR OF MY ROUTE TO THE WEST IS APPROACHED BY ONE OF HIS CUSTOMERS WHO IS A DRIVER IN SECAUCUS N.J. 2 1/2 YEARS ON THE JOB GOES AND GETS A TAT ON HIS FOREARM AND IS APPROACHED BY MANAGEMENT AND TOLD HE MUST NOW WEAR LONG SLEEVES YEAR ROUND .....W.T.friend. I KNOW WE PRIDE OURSELVED ON APPEARANCE BUT THIS IS JUST ....NUKING FUTS....

My money says the court will rule in favor of UPS.

A couple guys here wear long pants year round to comply with UPS policy. A policy that has been in effect for all of my 21+ years, no exposed tats.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

OK WHERE TO BEGIN.
I AM HEAVILY TATTOO'D , ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO IN A GENERAL CONVERSATION WITH MY D.M. HE INFORMED ME THAT EFFECTIVE 8-1-08 (UPON NEW CONTRACT'S START ) UPS HIGHER UP'S WOULD BE GUNNING FOR GUYS LIKE MYSELF. AND THAT 1 NEW JERSEY DRIVER HAD ALREADY LOST IN ARBITRATION . UPS WOULD NOW REQUIRE ALL VISIBLE TAT'S BE COVERED LONG SLEEVES AND OR PANTS YEAR ROUND. OR BE TERMINATED.
ME IM A HUMP , I WELCOME THE CHALLENGE,I ACTUALLY HAVE A HIGH POWERED LAWYER READY TO GO ON SUCH A SUIT ( FAMILY MEMBER ) .
:angry:. AFTER ALL I WAS HIRED IN A COLLARED SHIRT AND DOCKER TYPE SHORTS THAT REVEALED MOST OF MY TATS AT THE TIME . IF IM NOT MISTAKEN AND I COULD BE THAT IS JUST ....B.S. DISCRIMINATION AT IT'S FINEST.
NOW TODAY MY LOOP PARTNER WHO DOES THE MIRROR OF MY ROUTE TO THE WEST IS APPROACHED BY ONE OF HIS CUSTOMERS WHO IS A DRIVER IN SECAUCUS N.J. 2 1/2 YEARS ON THE JOB GOES AND GETS A TAT ON HIS FOREARM AND IS APPROACHED BY MANAGEMENT AND TOLD HE MUST NOW WEAR LONG SLEEVES YEAR ROUND .....W.T.friend. I KNOW WE PRIDE OURSELVED ON APPEARANCE BUT THIS IS JUST ....NUKING FUTS....

You were hired as a package car driver with all those tattoos? You have a case, maybe. But if you were hired on part-time with the tattoos and then covered them when it was time to go into package, that's a different story.

drewed

Shankman
That's an awesome idea. I am picturing something like the uniform that the main character wears in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series. Something like black special ops clothing with browns over it. I think most people would then understand the speed our drivers need to finish their daily "missions" in.

No one would would ask why you don't talk to them enough and are in such a hurry. They would just intelligently assume there was a foreign dignitary visiting somewhere on your route. And you have the task of assassinating said foreign dignitary after you make their delivery.

Why not just make the suit itself Brown?

atatbl

Why not just make the suit itself Brown?

Not important-looking enough. This needs to be black to work.

^^^^^^^ UPS driver carrying out extra mission AFTER all businesses are complete but BEFORE starting resis. I think the contract will need to specify these extra duties have to be done only after business stops are done. We will still need to treat business customers better than normal people (it's one of our core values you know).

As a driver, is it allowed to cover ourselves head to toe, with only eyes showing? Not very personable but hey'd be warm for the winter and pretty damn mysterious, plus have no tattoo issues.

Any good package car driver has already adopted the ninja stealth delivery technique. If your really good you can have the package car fired back up before the doorbell stops ringing.

over9five

Staff member
Any good package car driver has already adopted the ninja stealth delivery technique.

I used to have a resi customer that I would shut down the engine two houses away and coast to his house.

And then....

If your really good you can have the package car fired back up before the doorbell stops ringing.

chev

Nightcrawler
I guess this rule is enforced more in some regions than others. I see drivers with tats all the time. I have a band around my bicep and always have my short sleeve folded up. The tat is always visible and no one says a word. Quite a few drivers in my building have calf tats. We do catch flack about facial hair though. I hate that. I honestly think we should be allowed to have a beard. There is no reason why they can't write the language to specify length. I can understand not allowing "ZZ Top" beards, but a short neatly trimmed beard should be acceptable.

UPSGUY72

I have one tattoo of an eagle on my right calf. I wear shorts all the time and they haven't said anything about.

The problem is when people have tattoos that stand out and that are the first thing someone notices about the person. UPS is a service provider company we provided a service that customers use if we don't look good and clean cut. Then that reflects on the customer’s perception of the UPS as a whole company.

That is why there is a tattoo policy. One or two in good taste doesn't seem to be a problem but common lets use some common sense.

over9five

Staff member
I think we should stop delivering to people who have tatoos.

NOT! Actually, I like what Upsguy72 said about common sense. Instead of a blanket "no visible" tatoo policy, common sense should rule.

helenofcalifornia

Common sense makes sense to me too. But some center manager's have more common sense than others. This whole issue is subjective and a thorn bush. Tats, when the rule was written, probably had a whole different meaning than it does today. Naked woman on a bicep, Hell's Angel, etc. A lot lot more "normal" people are getting tattos nowadays. Times have changed and maybe UPS should adjust also.

evilleace

I guess this rule is enforced more in some regions than others. I see drivers with tats all the time. I have a band around my bicep and always have my short sleeve folded up. The tat is always visible and no one says a word. Quite a few drivers in my building have calf tats. We do catch flack about facial hair though. I hate that. I honestly think we should be allowed to have a beard. There is no reason why they can't write the language to specify length. I can understand not allowing "ZZ Top" beards, but a short neatly trimmed beard should be acceptable.

The only problem with this is that "neatly trimmed" could be defined different ways is different places by different people. So a neatly timmed beard in one center could be shaggy in another. This would cause more problems than it would fix. The same with "common sense" on tattos more problems than it is worth.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Facial hair grows differently on individuals. Not everyone has that full beautiful beard. Some people end up looking like Grady
1963170100_3df6c2c224.jpg
from Sanford and son. Others just have spotty growth, so fair in this case is no growth at all. Just look at the FedEx guys, yuck. Earrings are removable and should only be worn on your personal time.

As for tats and normal people? Don't know too many "normal" people, that like drawings on their bodies. I know, can of worms opened, but no big deal. If you wanna ink up your body, be my guest. Don't forget that those things need to be maintained, as over time they fade, if not. People also gain/lose weight, which makes some tats appear like crumpled up newspapers. When you get old, that tat may not look so cool. JMHO, no I do not have any tats, but I do have a wicked scar on my neck.

evilleace

I agree with Steve beards, tattos, and piercings do not present a professional image. I know the times have changed since the rules were written but there is no reason for them to change. I have no problem with looking neat and professional if I am to be presented as the face of a company to the public.

CRASH501

Appearance my ass.....again i am heavily tattoo'd and all in good taste nothing profound at all.
.i am also a volunteer fireman/ e.m.t. On one of my first calls i went to a call of a 40 something yr old fem with extreme abdominal pain . As i was rendering care she has the audasity to ask when the real medics were going to arrive...
.i explained i was it.
.the woman turns and says but , but , but you cant be an e.m.t. When i asked her why she stated i had too many tattoo's i just laughed and said mrs. Your husband over there has just as many tattoo's as i do .
Her answer yeah thats okay because he's a cop.
So i along with her husband explained to her she had 2 choices.
1 ride in my ambulance 10 minutes to the hospital,
Or
2 wait until you feel well enough to drive yourself, because your husband was too busy watching a sporting event to worry about your whining.
.and by the way it was her own cooking that got her sick..
And she took option 1