Volunteer to work this Sunday or go out with 400 stops Monday

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

According to the gov't that is, I'm of the opinion that there is a wider variation in what is safe for every individual in a blanket regulation These regulations have been influenced and lobbied to change to accommodate many a corporation.

I think that we can both agree that it is a much better system than the fudged paper logs that were so prevalent throughout the industry.

Ghost in the Darkness

Maybe so. But consider this in regards to our jobs. We work an estimated 9 hour day average for 5 days a week through most of the year. Now in these monthes of the shortest daylight hours we work more 10-12 hour days (sometimes more) than all through out the year. We all know the increased safety hazards when working in the dark. Then you throw in "forced" 6th day punches. Now you begin to see where safety truly rests in the list of corporate and gov't priorities. Its also worth noting that UPS is not a company operating in the red or even barely in the black.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To be fair, our district took a realistic approach to this Peak and made sure that we had more than adequate staffing to the point where they may have over hired. As long as the weather remains a non-factor we should have a fairly smooth Peak.

Ghost in the Darkness

We were closer to being adequately staffed last year. This year has been rough on heavy days and will be bad the 3rd and especially 4th week because they seem to be satisfied with less staffing. We have had a few days of send again EC/missed which apparently is ok to do now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We were closer to being adequately staffed last year. This year has been rough on heavy days and will be bad the 3rd and especially 4th week because they seem to be satisfied with less staffing. We have had a few days of send again EC/missed which apparently is ok to do now.

From what I understand we are 100% clean. The only stuff that may be left over are the Surepost being diverted back to us for delivery and the Monday known closures that were not put OFD yesterday.

I punched out at 1430 yesterday and will start at 0800 Monday, well within the 34 hour reset rule.

It makes sense to have drivers with limited hours left ride with one another and to take turns driving and helping to make sure both stay under 60/70.
A couple years ago we worked a Saturday. I only had 4 hours left, so I was a helper all day for a seasonal. I gave directions and ran the packages. I was not allowed to touch the steering wheel because the moment I did, I would have to punch out before my 4 hours are up. You cannot split driving hours.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A couple years ago we worked a Saturday. I only had 4 hours left, so I was a helper all day for a seasonal. I gave directions and ran the packages. I was not allowed to touch the steering wheel because the moment I did, I would have to punch out before my 4 hours are up. You cannot split driving hours.

So if you had 4 and your "helper" also had 4 you both together couldn't drive for 8?

To be fair, our district took a realistic approach to this Peak and made sure that we had more than adequate staffing to the point where they may have over hired. As long as the weather remains a non-factor we should have a fairly smooth Peak.
You can't plan/expect the unexpected.

Ghost in the Darkness

Of course not and if you over hire and weather is not a factor you look foolish.

Most of us would agree that its better to over hire slightly and be prepared. I know the company feels otherwise, as long as Fedex and USPS have problems too then its ok to look like idiots when people don't get their crap by Christmas.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Unfortunately planning for the worst costs money, hope doesn't cost anything.

UPS upper management smokes a lot of hopium.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I punched out at 1430 yesterday and will start at 0800 Monday, well within the 34 hour reset rule.

It makes sense to have drivers with limited hours left ride with one another and to take turns driving and helping to make sure both stay under 60/70.
Yeah that makes sense paying over $100 an hour to deliver boxes
A little foresight would go a long way with this company

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Most of us would agree that its better to over hire slightly and be prepared. I know the company feels otherwise, as long as Fedex and USPS have problems too then its ok to look like idiots when people don't get their crap by Christmas.

I was talking to one our local letter carriers and he told me that they are getting crushed with both SmartPost and SurePost to the point where they are focusing on their stuff first and delivering that stuff when they can.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Nope false. You could of driven for 3.99 hours and then been a helper after that.

Ghost in the Darkness

I was talking to one our local letter carriers and he told me that they are getting crushed with both SmartPost and SurePost to the point where they are focusing on their stuff first and delivering that stuff when they can.
Im sure UPS abuses that as much as possible. The union knows very little about what goes on with surepost.