Warehouse workers: Finally, possibly some music

Rawrzxor

I was very disappointed to learn that we couldn't bring ipods or phones into the warehouse. I understand why, but I'm thinking I might be willing to risk a confiscation for a while in order to listen to music while loading trailers.

However, one day a few months ago, when it was still cold, I saw someone in the hub with earphones discreetly on in his trailer when I was sent over there. I asked him how he got them in, but he didn't want to say. However, it got me thinking when I remembered it, today.

Out of curiosity, I stumbled upon this beauty: http://smile.amazon.com/DBPOWER-Bluetooth-Headphones-Microphone-Handsfree/dp/B00IXGXS7A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402188439&sr=8-2&keywords=smallest wireless headphones

I think these would be perfect for anyone with long hair, or anyone during the winter months with a hoody on. :D

The only issue might be that it falls out while you're moving around. That would suck. And it can only play music for like 2-5 hours on a full charge. But still pretty awesome! Oh! Or the radio! That would be so cool. Listening to NPR while working would make work go by a lot faster.

Coupled with my tiny ipod nano, I think I might give this a try. I hardly use the nano anyway, so if it gets confiscated for a bit, no biggie. Probably only leave one bud in so that I can still hear the supervisors screaming at me. Too bad I didn't just feign deaf when I was hired. Maybe I could fake a head injury outside of work. >.> Kidding. Probably.

I also found this:

http://www.amazon.com/LunaTik-Watch-Wrist-Strap-iPod/dp/B004UIC948?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B004UIC948

Since we're allowed to wear 'watches'. But, since it's all out in the open, someone might notice quite easily. That'd be a ballsy move, though. I figure if you leave the clock on for the nano, it looks like a regular wrist watch for the most part--with the exception of the ipod controls, on and off button and volume control on the sides. And the USB port.

Pooter

Man your center blows. We are allowed one ear only.

The BT buds seem nice but at that price I'm sure they will not fit well.

Rawrzxor

Oh. Or maybe a sweat band for people without long hair, or people with long hair, too. Then you'd eliminate the risk of it falling out, and it would be concealed. :D

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I was very disappointed to learn that we couldn't bring ipods or phones into the warehouse. I understand why, but I'm thinking I might be willing to risk a confiscation for a while in order to listen to music while loading trailers.

However, one day a few months ago, when it was still cold, I saw someone in the hub with earphones discreetly on in his trailer when I was sent over there. I asked him how he got them in, but he didn't want to say. However, it got me thinking when I remembered it, today.

Out of curiosity, I stumbled upon this beauty: http://smile.amazon.com/DBPOWER-Bluetooth-Headphones-Microphone-Handsfree/dp/B00IXGXS7A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402188439&sr=8-2&keywords=smallest wireless headphones

I think these would be perfect for anyone with long hair, or anyone during the winter months with a hoody on. :D

The only issue might be that it falls out while you're moving around. That would suck. And it can only play music for like 2-5 hours on a full charge. But still pretty awesome! Oh! Or the radio! That would be so cool. Listening to NPR while working would make work go by a lot faster.

Coupled with my tiny ipod nano, I think I might give this a try. I hardly use the nano anyway, so if it gets confiscated for a bit, no biggie. Probably only leave one bud in so that I can still hear the supervisors screaming at me. Too bad I didn't just feign deaf when I was hired. Maybe I could fake a head injury outside of work. >.> Kidding. Probably.

I also found this:

http://www.amazon.com/LunaTik-Watch-Wrist-Strap-iPod/dp/B004UIC948?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B004UIC948

Since we're allowed to wear 'watches'. But, since it's all out in the open, someone might notice quite easily. That'd be a ballsy move, though. I figure if you leave the clock on for the nano, it looks like a regular wrist watch for the most part--with the exception of the ipod controls, on and off button and volume control on the sides. And the USB port.
We are allowed radios, ipods, iphones, etc in the building during preload. However, if bringing these items to work was prohibited....which it is apparently at your building...i'm sure there's a sign posted somwhere that SAYS just that. And if ups says we're not allowed to bring such items into the building...I sure as hell would not try to do so...I work as directed. You could be fired for that! No music would be a small price to pay for keeping my job.

Chemo

Music would be nice, but is it worth your job? At some point you said the only issue would be it falling out of your ear. Allow me to point out another issue.
If you successfully sneak it in, and they notice it on the way out, you're screwed. They'll accuse you of stealing it, and they won't just confiscate it. They'll fire you and charge you with theft of interstate commerce, which is a felony.
Be careful the decisions you make just to make the time go by faster.

Sent using BrownCafe App

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Music would be nice, but is it worth your job? At some point you said the only issue would be it falling out of your ear. Allow me to point out another issue.
If you successfully sneak it in, and they notice it on the way out, you're screwed. They'll accuse you of stealing it, and they won't just confiscate it. They'll fire you and charge you with theft of interstate commerce, which is a felony.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I doubt all that would happen. I was caught all the time and I'd just tell them it's mine and they would wag a finger at me and tell me I can't do that.

Rawrzxor

I've also thought about this. I plan to get an engraving on my ipod and possibly do something with the headphones. It'd be pretty difficult to put an engraving with my full name onto something I was stealing.

At orientation they said that people can somehow download music and other stuff and activate a new iPhone by somehow having someone else help them outside of work. However, I think an engraving would clearly show that it's mine. Not entirely sure about the headphones.

However. One way or another, if they *steal* my stuff, then fire *me* for stealing, that's a lawsuit in action. They have also said that sometimes supervisors don't care if you're listening to music, so that would be my defense in response to the accusation that, "You knew you weren't supposed to bring this in here."

And, as long as I can show proof of ownership, if they do decide to fire me (and even if I get fired, the union could probably get my job back), and they get me charged with a felony for stealing *my own stuff*, then I will sue the pants off of them.

Honestly, the only thing I'm expecting, however, is that they'll take it, look at it, see the engraving, and take a week to figure out how I would have gotten that on there while working in the hub, then determine that it's frankly not possible (I think....), or, at the very least--isn't an iPod locked to one computer once you've used it on there?

All the stories I've heard end up in the person getting their stuff back. It's not like they're going to take them permanently; they just have to make sure I didn't steal something. And I would think it'd be readily apparent that I'm not the type (an idiot) whom tries to steal something worth 50 bucks in exchange for losing 250 dollars a week in paychecks. Not to mention benefits and such.

But, I'm not planning on showing it to them, and it'll be perfectly concealed with my hair and a headband. o.o My supervisor is pretty boss (heh), so he really wouldn't give a :censored2: anyway.

CHALLY9TX

A lot of people use headphones in our building. LP doesn't seem to mind. You just gotta get one of those ups stickers people get for their phones. Drivers aren't supposed to use earbuds but a lot do. Never seen management say a word.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I've also thought about this. I plan to get an engraving on my ipod and possibly do something with the headphones. It'd be pretty difficult to put an engraving with my full name onto something I was stealing.

At orientation they said that people can somehow download music and other stuff and activate a new iPhone by somehow having someone else help them outside of work. However, I think an engraving would clearly show that it's mine. Not entirely sure about the headphones.

However. One way or another, if they *steal* my stuff, then fire *me* for stealing, that's a lawsuit in action. They have also said that sometimes supervisors don't care if you're listening to music, so that would be my defense in response to the accusation that, "You knew you weren't supposed to bring this in here."

And, as long as I can show proof of ownership, if they do decide to fire me (and even if I get fired, the union could probably get my job back), and they get me charged with a felony for stealing *my own stuff*, then I will sue the pants off of them.

Honestly, the only thing I'm expecting, however, is that they'll take it, look at it, see the engraving, and take a week to figure out how I would have gotten that on there while working in the hub, then determine that it's frankly not possible (I think....), or, at the very least--isn't an iPod locked to one computer once you've used it on there?

All the stories I've heard end up in the person getting their stuff back. It's not like they're going to take them permanently; they just have to make sure I didn't steal something. And I would think it'd be readily apparent that I'm not the type (an idiot) whom tries to steal something worth 50 bucks in exchange for losing 250 dollars a week in paychecks. Not to mention benefits and such.

But, I'm not planning on showing it to them, and it'll be perfectly concealed with my hair and a headband. o.o My supervisor is pretty boss (heh), so he really wouldn't give a :censored2: anyway.
If music while working is THAT important to you that it's worth risking your job...you have bigger issues.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center plays music over the speakers during the preload. The PDS will turn it off when they fall behind. I don't see a lot of cellphones or personal music devices being used during the sort.

Oak

Sign at the entrance to our building says no blue tooth devices beyond this point. Something to do with it interfering with company devices.

J

jibbs

It would only be a lawsuit if you weren't breaking rules that had already been established.

If you had never heard of this "No electronics" or "Clean in, Clean out" rule and they rushed you, took your belongings, fired you and charged you with a crime, yeah, you've got some legal elbow room.

If they tell you "PTers aren't allowed to bring in electronics," and then you get caught bringing in electronics, you're kind of friend*ing yourself over and hoping you'll get lucky at a hearing or something.

That said.... I think I might have to order some wireless buds here in a few minutes... It's the same situation in my center. Nobody ever cares until they do, it's :censored2:ed up. That whole "Flavor of the Month" thing a lot of people talk about around here, I guess.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It would only be a lawsuit if you weren't breaking rules that had already been established.

If you had never heard of this "No electronics" or "Clean in, Clean out" rule and they rushed you, took your belongings, fired you and charged you with a crime, yeah, you've got some legal elbow room.

If they tell you "PTers aren't allowed to bring in electronics," and then you get caught bringing in electronics, you're kind of friend*ing yourself over and hoping you'll get lucky at a hearing or something.

That said.... I think I might have to order some wireless buds here in a few minutes... It's the same situation in my center. Nobody ever cares until they do, it's :censored2:ed up. That whole "Flavor of the Month" thing a lot of people talk about around here, I guess.
It's one of the flavors of the month here too...but the OP claims it's clean in...clean out in his building. To risk sneaking in an ipod is stupid.

J

jibbs

It's one of the flavors of the month here too...but the OP claims it's clean in...clean out in his building. To risk sneaking in an ipod is stupid.

Agreed. Are there double standards at your hub like in my center, though?

There are several coworkers in particular that come to mind, who always have headphones plugged in. They never get spoken to, they never hide the buds, and they've all been there for at least 2 years.

Then you've got the new hires that come in and see their new coworkers listening to music. They figure "Oh, that's allowed?" and bring in their phone or mp3 player the next day. Security gets wind of it the next day and either confiscates the device or walks the person off premises, meanwhile the loader that inspired them is 2 sets down jammin' the :censored2: away while he gets his job done.

I hate that :censored2:, dude.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Agreed. Are there double standards at your hub like in my center, though?

There are several coworkers in particular that come to mind, who always have headphones plugged in. They never get spoken to, they never hide the buds, and they've all been there for at least 2 years.

Then you've got the new hires that come in and see their new coworkers listening to music. They figure "Oh, that's allowed?" and bring in their phone or mp3 player the next day. Security gets wind of it the next day and either confiscates the device or walks the person off premises, meanwhile the loader that inspired them is 2 sets down jammin' the :censored2: away while he gets his job done.

I hate that :censored2:, dude.
Double standards? I guess so. I get away with a lot...most of us veterans do, ya just can't push the envelope too far....got to be smart about it. New people have no business wearing ipods...till they learn the job. I work next to this new kid...slower than friend and constantly misses his bulk...how many times can I yell his slide #? I have to shut the bottom belt off and point to get him to pull it off...or it goes down to the end of the line....and buries the guy down there. I'm busy enough....I don't have time to play Mommy. Shut the rap music off and pay attention.