Warning Letter!

packageguy

Oh! Evil me! Pulled into a rural, looped driveway the other day where it is physically impossible to get backed into, but which places my truck 15 feet from the customer's front window. Didn't honk my horn 'cause I didn't want to rattle the china in the hutch! Also, didn't know my sneaking little sup was spying on me. When he didn't hear the horn (at only that stop), he's giving me a warning letter. Folks, I am 97% in compliance with this policy, and hold off only when I know it it completely inappropriate to blow a dumb horn. You know, when I'm in front of a day-sleeper's house, an exhausted mother with napping babies, and such. Guess they are SOL now! My job now is to see how may complaints I can get, and show off my nicely framed warning letter.
This current management team is taking MY company to you know where in a hand basket.

Just continue to do the right thing, Don't let that supervisor get in your head. Take car of your customers they will take care of you.

brown_trousers

Here is the California vehicle code.Is this a pro or con for a grievance?27001. (a) The driver of a motor vehicle when reasonably necessaryto insure safe operation shall give audible warning with his horn. (b) The horn shall not otherwise be used, except as a theft alarmsystem which operates as specified in Article 13 (commencing withSection 28085) of this chapter.

nice research!.. Although this law is specific to just California, I'd bet many states have similar laws.

And bottom line is that you CANNOT be disciplined for failure to break a law. If UPS does write a warning letter, you would have a lawsuit against them. Them writing a warning letter to you would be considered soliciting(encouraging) unlawful behavior. And I personally think it would be satisfying to skip the grievance process for once, and take the matter directly to a lawsuit.

Packmule

Had my hearing on my horn honking warning grievance today. In addition to my concerns about what the policy really does to safety, security, and our reputation, I pounded it home hard that the policy is basically not legal. Mention that law enforcement officers have suggested I contact the the states attorney's office, and suddenly there's lots of concerns about me honking too loud and getting the cops involved. Indeed, now you know why their warning letters are so generic. Anyway, they are rescending said letter in one month, provided I pass 2 observations on the horn. Also they are planning to do a demo of what they consider a resonable horn tap--not too soft, not too loud. Also, I am supposed to provide a list of addresses that have sensitive situations (day sleepers, etc) so they can put no-horn notes in the board. So basically, they want me to do exactly what I WAS doing when I got a warning letter in the first place.
Laughable, but in the world of corporate games, I consider it a victory.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Had my hearing on my horn honking warning grievance today. In addition to my concerns about what the policy really does to safety, security, and our reputation, I pounded it home hard that the policy is basically not legal. Mention that law enforcement officers have suggested I contact the the states attorney's office, and suddenly there's lots of concerns about me honking too loud and getting the cops involved. Indeed, now you know why their warning letters are so generic. Anyway, they are rescending said letter in one month, provided I pass 2 observations on the horn. Also they are planning to do a demo of what they consider a resonable horn tap--not too soft, not too loud. Also, I am supposed to provide a list of addresses that have sensitive situations (day sleepers, etc) so they can put no-horn notes in the board. So basically, they want me to do exactly what I WAS doing when I got a warning letter in the first place.
Laughable, but in the world of corporate games, I consider it a victory.

It would be intersting (and kind of sad) to calculate the total amount of time and money your "management team" has pissed away on this drivel so far. Imagine what they could accomplish if they devoted that much effort on something that actually matters. Be grateful that you arent forced to to go to such lengths in order to justify your job.

satellitedriver

Also they are planning to do a demo of what they consider a resonable horn tap--not too soft, not too loud. Also, I am supposed to provide a list of addresses that have sensitive situations (day sleepers, etc) so they can put no-horn notes in the board..
Pack,
You just gave me a million dollar idea !!!
:winnersmiley:
A variable volume/decibel pkg car horn.
It would be controlled via our DIAD GPS function.
Brilliant.
Also, telematics could honk the horn every time we back up, or pull away from a curb.

WOW, I can not believe that IE hasn't already thought of this concept to waste several more million dollars.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No-horn notes in c-pad? Suppose you are a cover driver on your area. We are no longer allowed to touch our DIAD's while the wheels are rolling so unless the driver scrolls through the DIAD before driving to one of those "no-horn" stops he/she will not know and will follow the methods and possibly receive a complaint for doing so.

May I suggest you post a list of the "no-horn" addresses to the bulk head door of your PC to make it easier for cover drivers. I have such a list for the entry codes on my area. I did this because I was tired of getting phone calls on my days off asking for these codes.

Buck Fifty

Was the warning letter only for not blowing the horn or was it also for going in the driveway? If it was just for the horn I agree with menotyou that you should grieve the warning letter, citing the reasons that you gave. If it was also for going in the driveway I don't see where you would have basis for a grievance.

grieve any and all warning letters, no matter what !!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How would you grieve a legitimate warning letter?

"Yes, I did use my DIAD while driving and had 68 recording in travels, but I still don't feel that I deserved the warning letter..."

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
How would you grieve a legitimate warning letter?

"Yes, I did use my DIAD while driving and had 68 recording in travels, but I still don't feel that I deserved the warning letter..."
I would recommend to the alleged violator to start with Article 6 of the National Master. UPS cannot discipline based solely on any GPS or any successor system (ie. telematics). Alleged recording in travel MUST be seen by a UPS management person.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
During my days as a steward I could only suggest to the grievant what articles of the contract to file under. We have current language that does not allow UPS to discipline based solely on technology. If that changes in 2013 we will deal with it when and if it happens.
Management still must follow progressive discipline, and if a warning letter was issued before a verbal warning for same offense, I would recommend grievance to that effect. Would also recommend to the alleged violator to clean up his or her act. Most would comply, the others deserve what they have coming.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Last time I checked direct deposits don't come with an asterisk.

Do you really think the company spent all of this money on technology with no plans to use it for disciplinary purposes?
I was simply giving you advice as you did with the other poster. You obviously have not been paying much attention to how "well" the pension is doing. At least you did make it to ONE meeting. Sorry to get off topic folks. (never happens here, right?)