Was I Wrong?

Thorn

Hello everyone. I am newly registered to the forum but I have been reading here for a while. I really respect many of the people who post here regularly and hope some of you can give me some advice.

This morning, I had a next day air package for a business that doesn't open until 11 am. Knowing this, I made them my first stop just to kill the commit knowing I would be coming back later in the day when they were open. The package was a COD, so I put the shipper name and the amount on the delivery notice.

This afternoon about 4, I come back to this business, but I'm kind of in a hurry because I have to start my pickups at 4.

When I walk in, the owner is behind the counter ringing up a customer. I wait patiently for him to finish. When he's done, he starts to ring up another customer. Again, I wait patiently for him to finish. Finally, he says his wife will write the check. I look around and do not see anyone.
About that time, his wife walks in from the backroom. She passes by me and says she'll be back to write the check. After about another minute, she comes back in with the checkbook and asks me what's the amount. I tell her I left a delivery notice this morning with all the information on it. She tells me sorry, I guess we're lazy.

I look at my watch and realize I've already wasted 5 minutes here and I really have to start my pickups. I tell her I can't wait any longer and that I will return monday to deliver the package and for her to have the check ready when I get there. She seemed angry when I left.

Was I wrong to do this? I'm worried that she may have called in a complaint. I'm also worried that the hermit crabs that were in the box may die over the weekend. What should I do?

McBrown

Slave To The Grind
That's a tough one! I am known as a pretty patient driver but I could never be patient when someone is being blatently rude! It's common knowledge that we are in a hurry when we are making our deliveries! You did what you had to do. If they were unwilling to help you, then it's their loss and you can't worry about their product.

If they wanted it that bad, they should have dropped everything to make sure they got it taken care of!

Some customers just don't get it!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Was I wrong to do this? I'm worried that she may have called in a complaint. I'm also worried that the hermit crabs that were in the box may die over the weekend. What should I do?
If they made a decision to (a) order perishable goods COD and (b) be "too lazy" to pay for them in a timely manner, then it isnt your problem. If they do not like the consequences then perhaps next time they will make different choices.

alister

Just being the devils advocate. They might have considered it rude of you to attempt the package before they were open just to kill the commit and then delivery it at 4 pm. I mean they did pay for the service to get it there in the morning. They would have sent it next day air saver if they wanted it in the afternoon.

Now i understand why you wanted to kill the commit on a package that you could not delivery before the commit, but don't you think the customer would have appreciated it more if you delivered the package in the am instead of the late pm? I am sure there are a thousand reason why you couldn't do this, but the customer does know them and to be honest, i bet they don't care especially if they really needed that package earlier in the day.

soberups

I am sure there are a thousand reason why you couldn't do this, but the customer does know them and to be honest, i bet they don't care especially if they really needed that package earlier in the day.
If they "really needed" it....they would have been ready and willing to pay for it when it arrived.

alister

If they "really needed" it....they would have been ready and willing to pay for it when it arrived.

spoken by someone with a true monopoly on the service of delivering packages. maybe you should be our CEO, with that attitude i am sure we would be getting a lot of new customers.

soberups

spoken by someone with a true monopoly on the service of delivering packages. maybe you should be our CEO, with that attitude i am sure we would be getting a lot of new customers.
What about the other customers on that route? Is it fair to miss a pickup at a business....or make other customers wait even longer for a badly needed package... simply because the driver was trying to "be nice" to someone who wasnt willing to be ready to pay for their package? I'm sorry, but the clearest indicator of how "urgent" a package actually is...is the "urgency" with which the customer is willing to pay for it.

Thorn

Just being the devils advocate. They might have considered it rude of you to attempt the package before they were open just to kill the commit and then delivery it at 4 pm. I mean they did pay for the service to get it there in the morning. They would have sent it next day air saver if they wanted it in the afternoon.

Now i understand why you wanted to kill the commit on a package that you could not delivery before the commit, but don't you think the customer would have appreciated it more if you delivered the package in the am instead of the late pm? I am sure there are a thousand reason why you couldn't do this, but the customer does know them and to be honest, i bet they don't care especially if they really needed that package earlier in the day.

I killed the commit because I wasn't sure I would be back before 1030. As it turned out, I was back about 1045 and the parking lot was empty and the delivery notice was still on the door. The next time I pass by that area is at 400 on my way to make pickups.

I kept thinking why would they have something scheduled to be delivered before 1030 when they don't even open til 11, and then not go in early to make sure they got it.

alister

I killed the commit because I wasn't sure I would be back before 1030. As it turned out, I was back about 1045 and the parking lot was empty and the delivery notice was still on the door. The next time I pass by that area is at 400 on my way to make pickups.

I kept thinking why would they have something scheduled to be delivered before 1030 when they don't even open til 11, and then not go in early to make sure they got it.

The only thing i can think of is that they tried to pick a server in which they would get the package in the morning and just "thought" ups would know what times they opened and adjust it so they still got in the morning.

I am not saying you did anything wrong. It sounds to me like the customer is not familiar with how ups works.

kene1024

The only thing i can think of is that they tried to pick a server in which they would get the package in the morning and just "thought" ups would know what times they opened and adjust it so they still got in the morning.

I am not saying you did anything wrong. It sounds to me like the customer is not familiar with how ups works.

Or it could be that the shipper chose that shipping method and the store didn't have any choice. I ordered some photo gear a while ago, and asked for next day delivery, because I needed it in one day. The shipper sent it next day air and I was surprised when my UPS driver was ringing the doorbell at 9 AM (since I usually am not even awake until 10 AM). I was expecting it at the time I normally get my deliveries.

My point is that the definition of "next day" isn't always clear, and someone who hasn't read all the definitions on UPS' website may not know how early or late "next day" means.

alister

Or it could be that the shipper chose that shipping method and the store didn't have any choice. I ordered some photo gear a while ago, and asked for next day delivery, because I needed it in one day. The shipper sent it next day air and I was surprised when my UPS driver was ringing the doorbell at 9 AM (since I usually am not even awake until 10 AM). I was expecting it at the time I normally get my deliveries.

My point is that the definition of "next day" isn't always clear, and someone who hasn't read all the definitions on UPS' website may not know how early or late "next day" means.

The only reason why i said i that way is that it seems like the customer gave the driver and attitude when he came by at 4pm. it "seems" to me that the customer was irritated and thought "ha-ha, we show him by making hm wait for the cod". I know this is an assumption, but i am already an :censored2: so it doesn't really matter.

upsdude

I have a simple rule that has worked for me during my time at UPS. If the customer were to call UPS and complain, what would my boss tell me to do? It’s usually fairly easy to figure out what the boss would say, just go ahead and do it. Saves time and aggravation in the end.

Remember, some of the folks we deal with are a real piece of work. Look at the bright side, you only have to deal with them for a few minutes.

browniehound

BINGO! This driver did everything in his power to service the package. I have no sympathy for customers who do NOT have a check ready when the amount was written on an info notice earlier.

If the parcel was THAT important the customer would have called or tried to track the driver down on route.

This driver said he waited 5 minutes. I think thats about long enough for a NDA COD. How long is he supposed to wait? 10 minutes? No way.

What I can't understand is why they would pay a premium for delivery before 1030 when they don't open until 1100? Its a wonder how these people are running a succesful business.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
BINGO!

What I can't understand is why they would pay a premium for delivery before 1030 when they don't open until 1100? Its a wonder how these people are running a succesful business.

I deliver Early AM's,you would be surprised how many people get these that don't even open till 11am let alone by our 8:30 commit time. I think a lot of it has to do with the shipper.

T

The Cardinal

I have to agree with the original poster. you did absolutely nothing wrong. you did your job as you suppose to. I have had similar experiences.One time I made first attempt at 9:00 was closed wrote all the info on the info notice, came back at 1:00 no check his wife had the book. Pleaded with me for another attempt. while doing a pick-up across the street I walked in he told me the wife forgot the check book at home and DEMANDED me to come back in an hour . I told him I will be back for a single attempt tomorrow. He got upset and called and filed a complaint I was not curtious (?) with him and I was rude with his wife.
I will extend a favor to a customer for one time and make 2nd attempt same day.If he does not appreciate it I will never make another attempt same day to him.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It sounds to me from your post that you are either a cover driver or a fairly new driver who may not have his own route yet or perhaps this business does not get a lot of UPS deliveries but, for whatever reason, it sounds as though this may be the first time that you have had to interact with this customer. As such, you are not familiar with the pace with which they conduct their business, which obviously is not the same pace with which you conduct yours. I would agree with one of the replies in that I would be upset if a pkg guaranteed by 10:30 is not delivered until 4:00. I have several stops on my area that do not open until 11:00 or later and they will occasionally receive NDA pkgs, which another driver delivers. I ask that driver to attempt and then to leave the pkg at another stop so that I can P/U and reattempt or he will sheet as closed in the bldg to meet the commit and then I will deliver during their regular delivery and choose option A when the late prompt comes up. This is all coordinated with the on-car sup for his approval. The key to this is knowing your customers and what their preferences are.

As for the question as to why the customer who opens his business after 10:30 would request NDA delivery, a lot of people are unaware of our different service levels and don't know about NDA SVR. I always try to educate customers at these businesses about this option, both as a cost-saving measure and to assure prompt delivery.

I wouldn't be surpised if you had a concern, perhaps a hourly personnel, waiting for you when you got back to the center. I would be upset if the driver was too impatient to wait for me to write a check for a pkg that I had paid extra for to make sure I got it in 1 day. Now, don't get me wrong--these people clearly dragged their feet and I would be swearing at them in my head as I was waiting for them to write the check but I would have waited for the check as this is all part of the job. I would have then reviewed this delivery sequence in my head and tried to figure out what I could have done differently to make this go smoother in the future.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
It sounds to me from your post that you are either a cover driver or a fairly new driver who may not have his own route yet or perhaps this business does not get a lot of UPS deliveries but, for whatever reason, it sounds as though this may be the first time that you have had to interact with this customer. As such, you are not familiar with the pace with which they conduct their business, which obviously is not the same pace with which you conduct yours. I would agree with one of the replies in that I would be upset if a pkg guaranteed by 10:30 is not delivered until 4:00. I have several stops on my area that do not open until 11:00 or later and they will occasionally receive NDA pkgs, which another driver delivers. I ask that driver to attempt and then to leave the pkg at another stop so that I can P/U and reattempt or he will sheet as closed in the bldg to meet the commit and then I will deliver during their regular delivery and choose option A when the late prompt comes up. This is all coordinated with the on-car sup for his approval. The key to this is knowing your customers and what their preferences are.

As for the question as to why the customer who opens his business after 10:30 would request NDA delivery, a lot of people are unaware of our different service levels and don't know about NDA SVR. I always try to educate customers at these businesses about this option, both as a cost-saving measure and to assure prompt delivery.

I wouldn't be surpised if you had a concern, perhaps a hourly personnel, waiting for you when you got back to the center. I would be upset if the driver was too impatient to wait for me to write a check for a pkg that I had paid extra for to make sure I got it in 1 day. Now, don't get me wrong--these people clearly dragged their feet and I would be swearing at them in my head as I was waiting for them to write the check but I would have waited for the check as this is all part of the job. I would have then reviewed this delivery sequence in my head and tried to figure out what I could have done differently to make this go smoother in the future.

My own policy has always been to let the customer finish with their customer or phone call.Then it is my time.Kind of like you are standing on line and now it is your turn.
I would have waited for the check (also cursing in my mind) and then explained to the customer how I believe we should interact on future deliveries.It helps to explain how they can help to make my day a little easier and quicker.Most customers are receptive to this.

upsman29

Why wouldn't you just make the first attempt at 11 or soon after that, when the diad prompts you why the package was late you just record it under " Opens after commit time " I believe thats choice A under reason for late. It wont show up on the report as a late delivery if you use this option. The customer may have been more receptive to you had you made a earlier delivery attempt. The first attempt doesn't count because you knew from the start that the business doesn't open till 11. UPS doesn't sell goods so all we have to offer our customer is service and had you thought for 1 second how you would feel if you paid all that extra money knowing your UPS driver knows you don't open till 11 and he shows up at 4 to make the delivery. You made them wait 5 or more hrs and you complain about them making you wait 5 minutes. Added to that you got paid the whole 5 minutes you waited and that customer may have lost one or more customers because what was in that package was need between the hrs it was riding in the back of your truck.

HazMatMan

Hello everyone. I am newly registered to the forum but I have been reading here for a while. I really respect many of the people who post here regularly and hope some of you can give me some advice.

This morning, I had a next day air package for a business that doesn't open until 11 am. Knowing this, I made them my first stop just to kill the commit knowing I would be coming back later in the day when they were open. The package was a COD, so I put the shipper name and the amount on the delivery notice.

This afternoon about 4, I come back to this business, but I'm kind of in a hurry because I have to start my pickups at 4.

When I walk in, the owner is behind the counter ringing up a customer. I wait patiently for him to finish. When he's done, he starts to ring up another customer. Again, I wait patiently for him to finish. Finally, he says his wife will write the check. I look around and do not see anyone.
About that time, his wife walks in from the backroom. She passes by me and says she'll be back to write the check. After about another minute, she comes back in with the checkbook and asks me what's the amount. I tell her I left a delivery notice this morning with all the information on it. She tells me sorry, I guess we're lazy.

I look at my watch and realize I've already wasted 5 minutes here and I really have to start my pickups. I tell her I can't wait any longer and that I will return monday to deliver the package and for her to have the check ready when I get there. She seemed angry when I left.

The only reason why i said i that way is that it seems like the customer gave the driver and attitude when he came by at 4pm. it "seems" to me that the customer was irritated and thought "ha-ha, we show him by making hm wait for the cod". I know this is an assumption, but i am already an :censored2: so it doesn't really matter.

BINGO! This driver did everything in his power to service the package. I have no sympathy for customers who do NOT have a check ready when the amount was written on an info notice earlier.

If the parcel was THAT important the customer would have called or tried to track the driver down on route.

This driver said he waited 5 minutes. I think thats about long enough for a NDA COD. How long is he supposed to wait? 10 minutes? No way.

I am so glad I am not a driver. I don't know how you guys put up with the bs sometimes.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Why wouldn't you just make the first attempt at 11 or soon after that, when the diad prompts you why the package was late you just record it under " Opens after commit time " I believe thats choice A under reason for late. It wont show up on the report as a late delivery if you use this option. .
Thorn, I think in the future keep this option in mind. I understand your frustration in dealing with customers like this. Unfortunately these types are part of our daily lives. Burning the stop in the AM is very understandable in this situation but probably not a good habit to get into.And waiting until 4pm to reattempt is not the wisest choice either, especially since it was a COD. People work at different paces than we do and when dealing with a COD it's a good idea to allow extra time just for cases like this. Be prepared-expect the unexpected could easily apply to this situation. It's a good learning experience, next time you can plan differently.