Was I Wrong?

tieguy

Banned
Re: Was I Wrong? YES, YOU WERE!

If I am a "little late" on my pickups...I miss the air shuttle and the 40 or 50 Next Day Air packages that my other customers have given to me will all miss service. Is it fair to punish all of those customers for the inability of one to conduct routine business in a timely manner?

if you're schedule is really that tight then yes you would have to do so. Few are.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

if you're schedule is really that tight then yes you would have to do so. Few are.
That is an easy statement to make from behind a desk. Out here in the real world, however, most pickup routes are that tight, especially here on the West Coast where it is a real battle to get the NDA volume to the airport in time to make service. We are already 4 hours behind the East Coast and the clock is ticking....

That is an easy statement to make from behind a desk. Out here in the real world, however, most pickup routes are that tight, especially here on the West Coast where it is a real battle to get the NDA volume to the airport in time to make service. We are already 4 hours behind the East Coast and the clock is ticking....

It's not that tough Sober. I usually have to start pickups 15 min. late and take a break in the middle in order to be within the 15 min. pu window. Besides you are only 3 hours behind the east.

soberups

It's not that tough Sober. I usually have to start pickups 15 min. late and take a break in the middle in order to be within the 15 min. pu window. Besides you are only 3 hours behind the east.
I'm not talking about the 15 min pickup window. I am talking about the 4:30 PM pull for the airport shuttle. Miss that, and the East-Coast bound Next Day Air that my customers have given to me doesnt make service.
I'm glad you get a break during your pickups. I dont...I have 30 pickups to do in 90 minutes. That equates to 180 seconds per pickup, not including travel time. Doesnt leave me with lots of free time to stand around waiting for a customer to cut a check for a COD.

over9five

Staff member

If I am a "little late" on my pickups...I miss the air shuttle and the 40 or 50 Next Day Air packages that my other customers have given to me will all miss service. Is it fair to punish all of those customers for the inability of one to conduct routine business in a timely manner?

I hope that wasn't a serious question. Obviously, your air commit is more important.
MOST drivers can wait an extra 5 or 10 minutes, and have a little extra in the paycheck next week.

soberups

I hope that wasn't a serious question. Obviously, your air commit is more important.
MOST drivers can wait an extra 5 or 10 minutes, and have a little extra in the paycheck next week.
My whole point is that sometimes, out there in the real world, we have to choose between the lesser of two evils and balance the needs of the many customers against the needs of the few. Something that is incomprehensible to the armchair quarterback/manager whose pat answer for everything is "the customer is always right."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate - Do you really do all that?

Yeah, I do. It's called customer service. I also do address corrections on the road, calling customers to verify or confirm an incomplete address and will normally retry COD send agains in the PM if I have time and the customers asks that I do so. The address corrections tend to upset my center manager as they really should go through ECS but I hate send agains and he is young and will get over it. I will also go back to pickup stops if they ask me to and let my OMS know if I am available to help other drivers.

As for the award, it is amazing how far a simple "thank you" from a customer can go.

Last edited:

soberups

Yeah, I do. It's called customer service. I also do address corrections on the road, calling customers to verify or confirm an incomplete address and will normally retry COD send agains in the PM ....
I wish I had your route. I have a different PM routine than you do....I'm delivering packages as fast as I can in order to avoid bringing any back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I wish I had your route. I have a different PM routine than you do....I'm delivering packages as fast as I can in order to avoid bringing any back.

130 to 140 stops, 350 to 450 pkgs, 30 P/U stops, 200 pkgs P/U, 55 to 60 miles, 1-3 OCAs/day.

Dunkin Donuts daily 4-4:25pm, dinner 5:30-6pm at home (condo on del route), punch out at 6:30pm every day.

Still want to switch?

browndevil

Hey Thorn my only concern was attempting delivery during posted bus. hours. So I guess I would have tried to reattempt right they opened after 11:00am maybe that was why you got the cold shoulder

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Yeah, I do. It's called customer service. I also do address corrections on the road, calling customers to verify or confirm an incomplete address and will normally retry COD send agains in the PM if I have time and the customers asks that I do so. The address corrections tend to upset my center manager as they really should go through ECS but I hate send agains and he is young and will get over it. I will also go back to pickup stops if they ask me to and let my OMS know if I am available to help other drivers.

As for the award, it is amazing how far a simple "thank you" from a customer can go.
Don't you have clerks that are waiting to do address corrections at night? That's what their job is.I understand what you are saying but you can't do it all.
You wouldn't come back and wash the vehicle also_Or would you?

Mike Hawk

The other day I actualy saw a driver outside washing his truck as I was leaving, our local sort only washes 5 of the 30 ish routes a day.

old levi's

blank space
Hello everyone. I am newly registered to the forum but I have been reading here for a while. I really respect many of the people who post here regularly and hope some of you can give me some advice.

This morning, I had a next day air package for a business that doesn't open until 11 am. Knowing this, I made them my first stop just to kill the commit knowing I would be coming back later in the day when they were open. The package was a COD, so I put the shipper name and the amount on the delivery notice.

This afternoon about 4, I come back to this business, but I'm kind of in a hurry because I have to start my pickups at 4.

When I walk in, the owner is behind the counter ringing up a customer. I wait patiently for him to finish. When he's done, he starts to ring up another customer. Again, I wait patiently for him to finish. Finally, he says his wife will write the check. I look around and do not see anyone.
About that time, his wife walks in from the backroom. She passes by me and says she'll be back to write the check. After about another minute, she comes back in with the checkbook and asks me what's the amount. I tell her I left a delivery notice this morning with all the information on it. She tells me sorry, I guess we're lazy.

I look at my watch and realize I've already wasted 5 minutes here and I really have to start my pickups. I tell her I can't wait any longer and that I will return monday to deliver the package and for her to have the check ready when I get there. She seemed angry when I left.

Was I wrong to do this? I'm worried that she may have called in a complaint. I'm also worried that the hermit crabs that were in the box may die over the weekend. What should I do?

I would have made the first attempt in order to satisfy the commit time, but then between 11 and 12 I would have called them and explained why I had to make an attempt before their opening time. Then because it was a NDA and live animals I would have asked if this was a package that they needed asap or would later in the day be ok. This shows your concern for the customer amd a willingness to work with them. If they tell me they need the package asap we could arrange a meet or I would break trace at the earliest opportunity and deliver the package. No amount of advertising dollars can buy the goodwill that a driver can develop over time with his/her customers.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
I would have made the first attempt in order to satisfy the commit time, but then between 11 and 12 I would have called them and explained why I had to make an attempt before their opening time. Then because it was a NDA and live animals I would have asked if this was a package that they needed asap or would later in the day be ok. This shows your concern for the customer amd a willingness to work with them. If they tell me they need the package asap we could arrange a meet or I would break trace at the earliest opportunity and deliver the package. No amount of advertising dollars can buy the goodwill that a driver can develop over time with his/her customers.

Where in the original post did it state that live animals were in the box?