Washington Redskins change their name

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I must be a nobody- I hate that word.
Did everyone say that :censored2: and wetback is acceptable too?

What political party always places blame; I forget.

I am sure all the rednecks on this board would be ok with the word :censored2:... they would all say "its been used for years" so, who cares.?

NOT one person on this board involved in this thread can justify the word REDSKIN affiliating it with an Indian of any kind, yet despite that fact, still wont recognize the term as a racial slur.

Bigots just wont change their minds.

TOS.

MAKAVELI

I am sure all the rednecks on this board would be ok with the word :censored2:... they would all say "its been used for years" so, who cares.?

NOT one person on this board involved in this thread can justify the word REDSKIN affiliating it with an Indian of any kind, yet despite that fact, still wont recognize the term as a racial slur.

Bigots just wont change their minds.

TOS.

I bet if the team was named the blackskins that there would be not one word from these people to keep the name. But because a lot of the bigots feel it's ok to be derogatory towards Native Americans there shouldn't be a name change.

moreluck

golden ticket member
....."I am sure all the rednecks on this board would be ok with the word :censored2:....." (TOS)
Used :censored2: & Span for years. Never thought twice about it. Maybe they should change their product name according to you.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
....."I am sure all the rednecks on this board would be ok with the word :censored2:....." (TOS)
Used :censored2: & Span for years. Never thought twice about it. Maybe they should change their product name according to you.
Not just according to him.... there's a reason they don't advertise that product on television anymore.
It's kind of the opposite of what we're talking about here. Redskin started as a derogatory term, and now most people don't view it as one, they simply think of football. Where as :censored2: n Span had nothing to do with race, but part of it's name became a derogatory term in recent history.

A word or phrase's connotation in regards to racism is not set in stone, it changes over time. Language is always evolving.

moreluck

golden ticket member
If "red" is derogatory, Crayola is really going to be in trouble......flesh was always my favorite!!
The product is still available.
The phrase :-)censored: and Span) is what I was told my room better look like in the 60's when I was told to clean it.
Get over it.....lots of words have more than one meaning.....remember when gay meant happy?
Pine-sol.......the sun is offended. We'll all burn to death!!
Mr. Clean is a non midget giant !!

moreluck

golden ticket member
My brother's name is Gabriel.......all through his life....high school in the mid 50's he was called Gay. That was before gay was used to describe queers....which is what they were called back then.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If "red" is derogatory, Crayola is really going to be in trouble......flesh was always my favorite!!
The product is still available.
The phrase :-)censored: and Span) is what I was told my room better look like in the 60's when I was told to clean it.
Get over it.....lots of words have more than one meaning.....remember when gay meant happy?
Pine-sol.......the sun is offended. We'll all burn to death!!
Mr. Clean is a non midget giant !!
You are a lost cause lady.

tourists24

Not just according to him.... there's a reason they don't advertise that product on television anymore.
It's kind of the opposite of what we're talking about here. Redskin started as a derogatory term, and now most people don't view it as one, they simply think of football. Where as :censored2: n Span had nothing to do with race, but part of it's name became a derogatory term in recent history.

A word or phrase's connotation in regards to racism is not set in stone, it changes over time. Language is always evolving.
kinda like n-iggardly (lol... I couldn't even type it without being blocked)? does that offend also... ? to some I guess it does.... so sensitive... it has nothing to )do with race.... neither does :censored2: and span.... but I guess some people have to want to be offended..... Redskins..... love em.... then again Im just one of those uneducated rednecks (college degree aside)

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
kinda like n-iggardly (lol... I couldn't even type it without being blocked)? does that offend also... ? to some I guess it does.... so sensitive... it has nothing to )do with race.... neither does :censored2: and span.... but I guess some people have to want to be offended..... Redskins..... love em.... then again Im just one of those uneducated rednecks (college degree aside)
Exactly.... it's a word that by definition isn't racist, but by modern terms brings to mind racist connotations. Can you use it.... sure, but you'll sound like a real :censored2: lol. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Our language is constantly evolving.... you can be a dinosaur if you want to, I'm not judging.... some will though.