way overworked as a preloader

I just started working as a preloader and the pay really does suck, if we get only $9.50 an hour I actually think we should just be able to load just one truck. is there anyway you can send or Menlo Park, ca. I will bring that up to teamster. the money you make can't even buy gas[/

So let me get this straight, you came to UPS and said I want a job. The HR person told you what the pay is and walked you around. You knew what you were getting into and you are just now crying? I see your future with UPS to be a short one.

I know most of the supervisors down there and get to sit on a daily conference call with them so yes I am management. From what I hear on the call several of those preloaders shouldn't be working there, are you one of them?

Dont get me wrong here, I do think that some preloaded don't make enough. I have been with ups for 23 years and out of those 23, 18 have been on preloads. There are a few career prloaders but for the most part people pay their dues and move up to either a driver or even management ( I suggest becoming a driver over management).

With that being said you have 2 choices; either suck it up and load the 3-4 trucks like they expect or quit. Either way good luck.

flipstyle9

I just started working as a preloader and the pay really does suck, if we get only $9.50 an hour I actually think we should just be able to load just one truck. is there anyway you can send or Menlo Park, ca. I will bring that up to teamster. the money you make can't even buy gas

You must be lazy. Nothing in life is easy if you want something you work for it. There are a lot of other jobs out there that are worse than loading 3 or 4 trucks and pay less than $9.50 HR and don't give you benefits ever.

You go find a other company where you don't need a degree to get a job that gives there pt the exact same benefits they give there ftimers (pension, health insurance, days off, raises, etc ).

A pt job isn't designed for people to live off no matter where you work.

Anyways you wanted to work at UPS they didn't Ho looking for you and force you to work for them. If you feel your over worked you can always quit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Integrity

Binge Poster
flipstyle9,

I have been with UPS for a long, long time and am very familiar with what goes on on a preload.

My counsel to you:

Remember you get paid by the hour not by the truck.

You should expect to exert reasonable effort.

Don't rush just pace yourself, don't let harassment or intimidation set your pace but do try to be a decent worker.

After work you should feel like you had a good days work not 15 rounds with Mike Tyson(in his prime).

You should be able to completely function physically in your time away from UPS.

Remember this: The only reward for working unreasonably hard and fast at UPS is more work and less time to do it in.

The result of this is you will get more work to break down your body physically and because you get paid by the hour you will get less money for doing it.

Chances are if you are unsuccessful at loading a package car you may find yourself sorting envelopes over at smalls.

Sincerely,
I

I,

Withknowning the supervisors where he works, if he doesn't load what they want him too in the time frame with no misloads the chances of him moving are good but the only place he will be moving is out the door.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I,

Withknowning the supervisors where he works, if he doesn't load what they want him too in the time frame with no misloads the chances of him moving are good but the only place he will be moving is out the door.
lifeupser,

You would know better than me, I don't know them.

Sincerely,
I

I,

I have worked with them in one way or another for years. I am no longer down by them but I do know that they are on a daily conference calls talking about their misloads. It isn't a pretty picture there for them.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I,

I have worked with them in one way or another for years. I am no longer down by them but I do know that they are on a daily conference calls talking about their misloads. It isn't a pretty picture there for them.
lifeupser3,

Do they manage with integrity?

Sincerely,
I

I,

From what I've seen when I worked with them yes. I can't say now because I am not side by side anymore. Listening to the calls I have to be on I would say that the majority of them do. Where they have the issues is like all of us, the higher ups are out of connection with the reality so the expectations in some cases are unreal.

Justaname

You must be lazy. Nothing in life is easy if you want something you work for it. There are a lot of other jobs out there that are worse than loading 3 or 4 trucks and pay less than $9.50 HR and don't give you benefits ever.

You go find a other company where you don't need a degree to get a job that gives there pt the exact same benefits they give there ftimers (pension, health insurance, days off, raises, etc ).

A pt job isn't designed for people to live off no matter where you work.

Anyways you wanted to work at UPS they didn't Ho looking for you and force you to work for them. If you feel your over worked you can always quit.
I work at Costco for a second job same benefits as ups and you start at 11 an hour and top out at 20. No degree necessary. I agree though this guys sounds lazy.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
So being in local sort is not a "career barometer" from what you saying ?

Um, pretty much. I figure we have 63 drivers in our center. At one time or another, at least 50 were pre-loaders. Another 5 or 6 were casuals that made book. It's rare, at least in my building, to see a new driver that didn't spend time on the pre-load.

U

uber

Not the same, but just about as good. Sorry didn't mean the same. Just ment they have great health benefits.

I know people who have worked for Costco. Their health benefits suck. They have to pay out of their paychecks. Not the same.

U

uber

Um, pretty much. I figure we have 63 drivers in our center. At one time or another, at least 50 were pre-loaders. Another 5 or 6 were casuals that made book. It's rare, at least in my building, to see a new driver that didn't spend time on the pre-load.

Really? I know drivers that have done just about every position at the hub. Unloader, loader, sorter, smalls. I see no correlation between being a preloader and becoming a driver.

Justaname

I know people who have worked for Costco. Their health benefits suck. They have to pay out of their paychecks. Not the same.
Ok well I work at Costco 30 bucks a month for my benefits package any questions about it just google it. I'm a current employee with them and trust me they do not suck. Ups is still better in the long run as far as payin the long run, but Costco is still an awesome company to work for.