way overworked as a preloader

menotyou

bella amicizia
Actually I did. I have had the luxury of having a preloader who built custom loads and it made my day a lot easier; however, custom loads are discouraged today. The PAL system has dumbed down the preloader's job, much the same as EDD has dumbed down the driver's job.

The point is UPS invested millions of dollars so that loaders and drivers wouldn't have to think.
Did you feel that big gust of wind flying over your head?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Actually I did. I have had the luxury of having a preloader who built custom loads and it made my day a lot easier; however, custom loads are discouraged today. The PAL system has dumbed down the preloader's job, much the same as EDD has dumbed down the driver's job.

We both know that UPS spends millions on silly "improvements" that they eventually just forget about and things just slowly revert back to the way they used to be.

A perfect example is the push-button start in my truck. It was installed 6 months ago at a cost of something like $1000, and it worked fine for the most part. I come in a few weeks ago, try to start the truck, and it sounds as though the starter is shot. It's not turning the flywheel, just making a whirring noise. I find a mechanic, we kick start it, sup. tells me take the truck out, report any problems to us, write it up. I comply. The truck is back a week later with "I think the problem was with the push-button start, I disabled it, use keys". Sounds good to me. Except a week later, the same problem is back. I write it up again, the truck is back in two days with "R & R starter" written in the DVIR with push-button start still disabled.

$1,000 in equipment and maybe a few hundred in labor all in the name of replacing a $1 brass key which I'm using again anyway. That's logistics.

UPSGUY72

upsguy72,

The sad fact is that the lack of real men, being real fathers and husbands is what is what is causing kids to turn out the way they do.

The statistics are overwhelmingly in support of the correlation between the breakdown of the family and the breakdown of a society.

Self centered, self serving, Greedy, gluttonous, materialistic, drunken, lustful, arrogant...(you add your own) fathers pass this junk on to their kids.

There is no way around this fact.

Sincerely,
I

Sorry, but that not a good excuse and a real bad example.

Some of the hardest working people I know grew up dirt poor with just one FT parent being that a mother or father. I also know people that where brought up in well to do house hold with two parent that worked hard and gave there kids everything and there kids are some of the laziest people I know that will do anything to get out of doing work.

Integrity

Binge Poster

Some of the hardest working people I know grew up dirt poor with just one FT parent being that a mother or father. I also know people that where brought up in well to do house hold with two parent that worked hard and gave there kids everything and there kids are some of the laziest people I know that will do anything to get out of doing work.
upsguy,

This is not an excuse, nor is it an example.

This is a statistical fact, go talk to people in prison or in rehabs and ask them what their relationship with their father was like.

True, you will find many backgrounds of failures and successes in life, but the facts are the facts.

Many do rise above the bad examples in life, both the bad examples of not being provided for, or spoiled and over indulged.

There is just no escaping this fact.

The failure in men, and in particular fathers, is the main reason the world is so full on immature men.

You are entitled to believe what you want, this just doesn't change the facts.

How is or was your relationship with your father?

Sincerely,
I

menotyou

bella amicizia

That can be just as devastating. My father worked hard outside the home, my mother inside. We were not handed everything, but never wanted for anything. We earned our allowance. Yes, I said allowance. We were taught to respect others and to be thankful for what we have. If I want something, I have to make it happen. I don't depend on someone else for anything. My parents are some of the best people I know. I will be lucky if I can be a quarter of the person either one is. I love them dearly and thank them for the lessons they insisted I learn, as it only benefitted me.

UPSGUY72

upsguy,

This is not an excuse, nor is it an example.

This is a statistical fact, go talk to people in prison or in rehabs and ask them what their relationship with their father was like.

True, you will find many backgrounds of failures and successes in life, but the facts are the facts.

Many do rise above the bad examples in life, both the bad examples of not being provided for, or spoiled and over indulged.

There is just no escaping this fact.

The failure in men, and in particular fathers, is the main reason the world is so full on immature men.

You are entitled to believe what you want, this just doesn't change the facts.

How is or was your relationship with your father?

Sincerely,
I

The facts are that at some point people need to take responsibility for there actions and stop blaming someone else or a past happens for the way they behave... apparently you don't agree....

Integrity

Binge Poster
The facts are that at some point people need to take responsibility for there actions and stop blaming someone else or a past happens for the way they behave... apparently you don't agree....
upsguy,

In a way I can agree.

Let me explain:

A father is fully responsible for his wife and his children. He needs to take this responsibility seriously.

A father is fully responsible to love, protect, serve them and teach them right from wrong. He needs to take this responsibility seriously.

A father is fully responsible to be faithful to his wife, to love and honor her. He is responsible to be willing to lay his life down for her.

This will show his boys what kind of husband to be and will show his girls what kind of husband to seek.

A father is responsible to be a blessing to his children by showing them how special of a creation they are.

A father is responsible to train his children to respect authority and live responsibly.

A father is responsible to confront evil influences in the family, seek justice, and to be merciful.

A father is responsible to be an example by treating others with kindness, respect and compassion.

A father is responsible to work diligently to provide for the need of his family.

A father should be an example by forgiving those who have wronged him and reconciling with those he has wronged.

A father should be an example by learning from his mistakes, admitting when he is wrong, and walking with Integrity as a man.

This all being said; I agree that at some point men and particularly fathers need to take responsibility for their actions and stop blaming someone else for the poor job they have done and the impact on a society this failure brings.

To your point I agree in this way:

When boys become men,and more so fathers, they need to forgive their fathers for their failures and move on in spite of them, not blaming them nor denying their failures.

Denying their failures seems to greatly improve the chaces of repeating the same poor patterns.

Men and father's are responsible to be real men and honorable fathers regardless of how they were raised, but fathers who have failed and helped cripple the next generation should not be judging the generation they have helped create.

Sincerely,
I

iowa boy

We both know that UPS spends millions on silly "improvements" that they eventually just forget about and things just slowly revert back to the way they used to be.

A perfect example is the push-button start in my truck. It was installed 6 months ago at a cost of something like $1000, and it worked fine for the most part. I come in a few weeks ago, try to start the truck, and it sounds as though the starter is shot. It's not turning the flywheel, just making a whirring noise. I find a mechanic, we kick start it, sup. tells me take the truck out, report any problems to us, write it up. I comply. The truck is back a week later with "I think the problem was with the push-button start, I disabled it, use keys". Sounds good to me. Except a week later, the same problem is back. I write it up again, the truck is back in two days with "R & R starter" written in the DVIR with push-button start still disabled.

$1,000 in equipment and maybe a few hundred in labor all in the name of replacing a $1 brass key which I'm using again anyway. That's logistics.

Question is, were they, (your management team), nice enough to take the extra 6 or 7 stops off that they give you for having keyless in your vehicle? :devil3:

Justaname

Seems like your true colors are coming out. Don't worry if you don't quit they will eventually fire you....

The younger kids these days just want everything handed to them they want to make the big bucks and not have to work there way up to get it.
Correction, most younger kids expect everything to be handed to them. Some us still expect to earn it. I'm 24 and most people my age don't understand why I work two jobs, and I explain what the long term goal is. I also look at them and don't understand what they're going to do when their parents aren't around to support them anymore.

Random_Facts

I was working here, when we had to learn the 400 street names on the old fashion charts. They said the PAL system would be easier. As all you have to do is put it where it tells you. It would/and should work correctly, if management knew what they where doing. Our head supervisor doesn't realize, and can't realize, that putting a 400 piece bulk stop on a 2000 shelf. Will fit correctly. Oh the madness.

On the other hand, like someone mentioned already, I don't load what the PAL label says, I just follow what my driver wants. After all, he is delivering, why make his job more complex than needed? =).

menotyou

bella amicizia
I was working here, when we had to learn the 400 street names on the old fashion charts. They said the PAL system would be easier. As all you have to do is put it where it tells you. It would/and should work correctly, if management knew what they where doing. Our head supervisor doesn't realize, and can't realize, that putting a 400 piece bulk stop on a 2000 shelf. Will fit correctly. Oh the madness.

On the other hand, like someone mentioned already, I don't load what the PAL label says, I just follow what my driver wants. After all, he is delivering, why make his job more complex than needed? =).
I remember having a conversation with a pretty high up sup when they installed PAS in my center(06ish). She said that this system was to make it easier to load trucks. One of the guys said it was to start eliminating our jobs. I laughed. I said it wasn't for eliminating our jobs. The manager smirked and walked away.

TheJoe

I'm not gonna go through all the comments because I'm sure everyone else thinks the same thing...ONE truck!? Gives real meaning to the term "Laughing Out Loud" Yeah why don't you come in, take our benefits, get the union behind your back, make 40 dollars a day and yeah...load one truck. You'd never survive in the L.A hubs. I'm down to three trucks, and air drive after the shift. I used to have 4, and a few years ago during the Holidays I had 5. One truck...

anonymouse

I load a 5 truck route 1,200(1,400avg peak) pieces a day, to be honest I feel i don't get paid enough but then again I'm also among the most expendable groups out in here. All I can do is look for a better paying job or wait tell my seniority pays off, whatever comes first.

wander

One truck? you'd standing around doing nothing... maybe if its a five ton that gets tons of bulk i guess.

I understand the feeling of being underpaid though... I split at the front of my belt (supposed to be two spilters b/c we have a huge belt but management was like "he's 20, he can handle it...") and load a bulk truck (Walmart mostly). Def feel underpaid for it. and it's getting worse now though: they send me all the UPS store (even the **** for other belts) and expect me to separate it and bring it to the other belts. I'm like "how can i split and bring packages around the warehouse at the same time?" uggg... oh and the scanning. my sup gives me a scanner, says "i want 2000 scans" -_-

gingerkat

Costco is ALWAYS hiring - go and deal with retail a holes all day long - cuz I'm one of them. For the record, I've been trying to get a part time with UPS for a long time and it's hard. Why work so hard for so little? Because not many companies give benefits for part timers. I had the nice plush office making tons o' money before, but that job got me nothing but a fat ass and crushed my soul. I would rather work hard and honestly.

With so many people without work, appreciate what you have.

OptimusPrime

Costco is ALWAYS hiring - go and deal with retail a holes all day long - cuz I'm one of them. For the record, I've been trying to get a part time with UPS for a long time and it's hard. Why work so hard for so little? Because not many companies give benefits for part timers. I had the nice plush office making tons o' money before, but that job got me nothing but a fat ass and crushed my soul. I would rather work hard and honestly.

With so many people without work, appreciate what you have.

In case you didn't know it now takes a year to get benefits. Though if you are willing to gut it out, it's nice. Few years back had to have my gall bladder removed. Didn't cost a dime. If I had just been some 27 year old working at Wal Mart of something, I would probably still be paying off that bill.