Weak and Pathetic Teamsters

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

contractors could unionize.

Where would the incentive lie in doing that?

Contractors are business people first and supervisors second. Ground drivers are employees of the contractor although a strong argument can be made that they are FedEx employees in every way except for who signs their check. As business people their focus is on the bottom line. Labor cost is simply another item on their spread sheet. Revenue will dictate how much they can pay their drivers and still turn a profit.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Bbscam you seem to be some what intelligent, but you seem to play like your just along for the ride and indifferent to the situation that exist over at FedEx. You know darn well that the model that FedEx employs benefits you and your profit margin. Like Ive said before Express has no leverage and Ground has no voice. Drivers at Ground could unite and the contractors would be forced to bargain with them collectively, but contractors such as yourself try to control through intimidation. Which does not surprise me since thats what you have apparently learned from your savior lord Smith. I would agree in the fact that the union is not the answer solely, they are merely a tool that can be used to achieve the employees ultimate goal. Proper compensation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Brown, I think the point you may be missing is that bbsam is a business man and, as such, is in this to make money. It he is able to find qualifed help willing to work the long hours for the pay that he is willing to pay them then why fault him? He is simply working within the parameters that have been established.

Now, do I think that Ground drivers are underpaid? Absolutely, but that is not my concern.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Brown, I think the point you may be missing is that bbsam is a business man and, as such, is in this to make money. It he is able to find qualified help willing to work the long hours for the pay that he is willing to pay them then why fault him? He is simply working within the parameters that have been established.

Now, do I think that Ground drivers are underpaid? Absolutely, but that is not my concern.
UpState you are absolutely correct, but thats the kind of honesty that you would not hear from Bbscam. You and I both know that to be true and that its only due to the exploitation of his employees hes able to make a buck. I only care due to my brothers plight but otherwise its not my concern either.

bbsam

Staff member
Where would the incentive lie in doing that?

Contractors are business people first and supervisors second. Ground drivers are employees of the contractor although a strong argument can be made that they are FedEx employees in every way except for who signs their check. As business people their focus is on the bottom line. Labor cost is simply another item on their spread sheet. Revenue will dictate how much they can pay their drivers and still turn a profit.
Didn't say they would, only that being covered under the NLRA they could more easily the way Express would like to be able to.

bbsam

Staff member
UpState you are absolutely correct, but thats the kind of honesty that you would not hear from Bbscam. You and I both know that to be true and that its only due to the exploitation of his employees hes able to make a buck. I only care due to my brothers plight but otherwise its not my concern either.
Maybe you could find your brother another job and then he would be free of us evil and mean contractors. But then again, he's a big boy and can decide whether or not he's being "exploited". Again though, I think he should explore the parameters and consider becoming a contractor. That is the path to more pay in Ground. But really, your brother's plight is not my concern any more than it is Upstate's or yours. How's that for honesty?

FedExer267

Maybe you could find your brother another job and then he would be free of us evil and mean contractors. But then again, he's a big boy and can decide whether or not he's being "exploited". Again though, I think he should explore the parameters and consider becoming a contractor. That is the path to more pay in Ground. But really, your brother's plight is not my concern any more than it is Upstate's or yours. How's that for honesty?
I love it bbsam honesty finally out of your mouth. Now we all know Brown287 brothers plight is none of our concern but however you just showed how the typical contractor feels about his employees and that my friend is pathetic. They are the only reason you live high on the hogg would it be too much to show a little appreciation for what the employees of the independent contractors do while you sit in the country club figuring out away to corner the little cesars franchise. Your employees make you!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I love it bbsam honesty finally out of your mouth. Now we all know Brown287 brothers plight is none of our concern but however you just showed how the typical contractor feels about his employees and that my friend is pathetic. They are the only reason you live high on the hogg would it be too much to show a little appreciation for what the employees of the independent contractors do while you sit in the country club figuring out away to corner the little cesars franchise. Your employees make you!!!

Good points. Mr. Smith seems to have forgotten this fact as well, which is (as you said), "that your employees make you". The average UPS employee, being well-compensated and reasonably well-managed, is far more productive and professional than the same from FedEx Express or (especially) Ground. This much higher level of competence is reflected in better customer service and a much more polished and capable image.

Ground never had it, Express is about to lose what little they've got left, and UPS still has it. When you see all 3 trucks sitting at a dock next time, compare the vehicles, the appearance of the driver, and the professionalism of the driver as well. The winner will be wearing brown 9 times out of 10. Miser Smith can't see the forest for the trees and the payback comes when shippers get tired of FedEx screw-ups and broken promises.

bbsam

Staff member
Wow. Where have you been? I look back over that post and see nothing that I haven't posted on this site many times in the past. How would you like me to feel about my employees? There are some that over the years have gotten raises not because they've been there X number of years, but because they deserve it. Then there are those who have the talent but don't really want to put forth the effort. You know the type; miss pick-up windows, make up exceptions for undelivered packages, show up to work whenever they want (but do get the job done). I like them because I have the opportunity to incentivize and shore up shortcomings. And then I have the ones who need to go but still are marginally serviceable. Not only will I never give them a raise, they are the ones who can stay out until 7:00 and get the late pick-ups. How does your supervisor feel about you? Does he tuck you in bed at night? Or pat you on the ass and tell you "good job!"?

Here's an example:

One of my outstanding drivers had 3 tickets in a year (outstanding? yeah, I know). The state found it necessary to remove his driver's liscense for 60 days and no work permit. So I kep him at full pay in the truck and had another driver driving the truck. Why? A)He's been a great employee. B)His wedding was coming up in a few months. C)I don't want to lose him to another company. Would I do this for just any driver? Hell no.

Bottom line is that I do appreciate some of my drivers and some of them can go pound sand for all I care. And yes, I make sure they all know where we stand at all times.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Wow. Where have you been? I look back over that post and see nothing that I haven't posted on this site many times in the past. How would you like me to feel about my employees? There are some that over the years have gotten raises not because they've been there X number of years, but because they deserve it. Then there are those who have the talent but don't really want to put forth the effort. You know the type; miss pick-up windows, make up exceptions for undelivered packages, show up to work whenever they want (but do get the job done). I like them because I have the opportunity to incentivize and shore up shortcomings. And then I have the ones who need to go but still are marginally serviceable. Not only will I never give them a raise, they are the ones who can stay out until 7:00 and get the late pick-ups. How does your supervisor feel about you? Does he tuck you in bed at night? Or pat you on the ass and tell you "good job!"?

Here's an example:

One of my outstanding drivers had 3 tickets in a year (outstanding? yeah, I know). The state found it necessary to remove his driver's liscense for 60 days and no work permit. So I kep him at full pay in the truck and had another driver driving the truck. Why? A)He's been a great employee. B)His wedding was coming up in a few months. C)I don't want to lose him to another company. Would I do this for just any driver? Hell no.

Bottom line is that I do appreciate some of my drivers and some of them can go pound sand for all I care. And yes, I make sure they all know where we stand at all times.
Translation: Due to Bbscams outstanding pay and benefit package he only gets the best!
3 tickets, are you kidding me. I think that contractors like you are not only a danger to the worker, but apparently to the populous at large. Please inform us of what towns in Iowa you contract so that we can notify our loved ones.

bbsam

Staff member
Translation: Due to Bbscams outstanding pay and benefit package he only gets the best!
3 tickets, are you kidding me. I think that contractors like you are not only a danger to the worker, but apparently to the populous at large. Please inform us of what towns in Iowa you contract so that we can notify our loved ones.
LOL. If I told you that you could google that dog bite that didn't happen and that workman's comp didn't pay for with the home owners insurance that didn't reimburse them.

Fact: They know what they are getting paid. They remain employed with me. You don't have to like it.

FedExer267

Wow. Where have you been? I look back over that post and see nothing that I haven't posted on this site many times in the past. How would you like me to feel about my employees? There are some that over the years have gotten raises not because they've been there X number of years, but because they deserve it. Then there are those who have the talent but don't really want to put forth the effort. You know the type; miss pick-up windows, make up exceptions for undelivered packages, show up to work whenever they want (but do get the job done). I like them because I have the opportunity to incentivize and shore up shortcomings. And then I have the ones who need to go but still are marginally serviceable. Not only will I never give them a raise, they are the ones who can stay out until 7:00 and get the late pick-ups. How does your supervisor feel about you? Does he tuck you in bed at night? Or pat you on the ass and tell you "good job!"? Where have I been recovering from peak!!!! I am not sure how my contractor feels about nor do I really care I go to work and do my job. He dosent have another driver that could touch me he knows it and I know it. That being said In our little corner of the FedEX world we have 5 routes. I have the biggest the most stops and go out the bulkiest. I am always the first one done and do help out the other drivers when asked have I ever been compensated for that hell no.. I do it because I was raised to work hard and I would be rewarded for my efforts not the case at ground. My contractor knows the only reason I am still there is because of the economy once things get better he will need to kick down or I am gone. The only time I am out til 7pm is because of Kinkos and the sad thing is I still beat the other drivers back. I do not need to be tucked in at night or patted on ass money talks thats how you show your appreciation.
Its a bonus route I bonus non stop for him and have never had a complaint caused property damage or been in a accident not the case for his other drivers so you would think he would take care of me.. Oh and on a side note I have never had 3 tickets in a year I havent had 3 tickets in my life and the last one I got was like 10 years ago so would I deserve a raise for my efforts you tell me.

Here's an example:

FedExer267

Where have I been recovering from peak!!!! I am not sure how my contractor feels about nor do I really care I go to work and do my job. He dosent have another driver that could touch me he knows it and I know it. That being said In our little corner of the FedEX world we have 5 routes. I have the biggest the most stops and go out the bulkiest. I am always the first one done and do help out the other drivers when asked have I ever been compensated for that hell no.. I do it because I was raised to work hard and I would be rewarded for my efforts not the case at ground. My contractor knows the only reason I am still there is because of the economy once things get better he will need to kick down or I am gone. The only time I am out til 7pm is because of Kinkos and the sad thing is I still beat the other drivers back. I do not need to be tucked in at night or patted on ass money talks thats how you show your appreciation.
Its a bonus route I bonus non stop for him and have never had a complaint caused property damage or been in a accident not the case for his other drivers so you would think he would take care of me.. Oh and on a side note I have never had 3 tickets in a year I havent had 3 tickets in my life and the last one I got was like 10 years ago so would I deserve a raise for my efforts you tell me... sorry I was alittle tired

bbsam

Staff member
Where have I been recovering from peak!!!! I am not sure how my contractor feels about nor do I really care I go to work and do my job. He dosent have another driver that could touch me he knows it and I know it. That being said In our little corner of the FedEX world we have 5 routes. I have the biggest the most stops and go out the bulkiest. I am always the first one done and do help out the other drivers when asked have I ever been compensated for that hell no.. I do it because I was raised to work hard and I would be rewarded for my efforts not the case at ground. My contractor knows the only reason I am still there is because of the economy once things get better he will need to kick down or I am gone. The only time I am out til 7pm is because of Kinkos and the sad thing is I still beat the other drivers back. I do not need to be tucked in at night or patted on ass money talks thats how you show your appreciation.
Its a bonus route I bonus non stop for him and have never had a complaint caused property damage or been in a accident not the case for his other drivers so you would think he would take care of me.. Oh and on a side note I have never had 3 tickets in a year I havent had 3 tickets in my life and the last one I got was like 10 years ago so would I deserve a raise for my efforts you tell me... sorry I was alittle tired
Sound like you need a new contractor or need to become one yourself.

bbsam

Staff member
Or a better recovery that is not a jobless recovery or a union or something. Wouldn't want to move to the midwest, would you?:happy2:

Out of curiosity, lets stipulate to the point that, at least as a contractor, yours is a jerk. With all level headedness about us, what are your options as you see them? Where do you want to be and can you get there? How do you get there? What power do you have and what's the best way to yield it to achieve your goals?

bbsam

Staff member
And yes, I would say you deserve a raise, but currently I'm not the contractor you need to have that conversation with.:peaceful:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

FedEx Express policy is a 60 day suspension for 2 serious violations within 3 years or 90 days for 3 of the same. It sounds like they apply the same standards to Ground drivers, who aren't "employees". How is it that a non-employee is held to the same standards as a real employee? Sounds like another example of FedEx treating non-employees the same as the real deal.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
FedEx Express policy is a 60 day suspension for 2 serious violations within 3 years or 90 days for 3 of the same. It sounds like they apply the same standards to Ground drivers, who aren't "employees". How is it that a non-employee is held to the same standards as a real employee? Sounds like another example of FedEx treating non-employees the same as the real deal.
Yes its a funny thing how these non-employees at Ground seem to be governed an awful lot like FedEx employees. You know its as if they are secretly employed by FedEx but they just don't admit to it. I think that the funny thing is that FedEx and their band of contractors actually believe that some how they are fulling us. Mr FedEx are you also aware that there is a Santa Clause and a Tooth Ferry, well according to friend. Smith if I line enough pockets in Washington they too would agree with me!

bbsam

Staff member
Um, that would be because it was a state imposed sanction i.e. DL suspension, not a company one. Thought that was clear in the original post, maybe not though. Although it sounds to me like you are just trying to force a square peg into a round hole to further convince yourself that you are right. So maybe Express takes their cues from state law?

bbsam

Staff member
Yes its a funny thing how these non-employees at Ground seem to be governed an awful lot like FedEx employees. You know its as if they are secretly employed by FedEx but they just don't admit to it. I think that the funny thing is that FedEx and their band of contractors actually believe that some how they are fulling us. Mr FedEx are you also aware that there is a Santa Clause and a Tooth Ferry, well according to friend. Smith if I line enough pockets in Washington they too would agree with me!
There is no "fulling" one who is already "full" of it.:happy2: See above post for why once again you are wrong and I am right.