Weingarten rights

Zowert

I was told I was getting a warning letter for using my board while the wheels were turning. I stupidly saw the green light as I was leaving center and grabbed it for a second to see what it was. A sup saw me and pulled me in the office the next morning. I didn’t have a steward present. When I told my steward he walked into the office for a minute then came out and said, “There will be no warning letter.” That was that.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I threatened to answer all of the safety questions wrong when the auditors come to our building. I said that if you cannot get my dispatch right, I cannot get your questions right.

Not the best way to approach it....

He said if I got them wrong, I would not have a job.

That's an Article 37 grievance right there, for threatening you.

And he's wrong.

It was agreed by the company (all the way back in 2007) at the National Panel,

that not being able recite them.... was not a condition of continuing employment.

If it's a requirement to know them during qualification, OK.

You have limited (or no) seniority rights at that point anyway.

-Bug-

*I have posted this once a year.... since 2007*

:biggrin:

Shiftless

What is the correct phrase to use when one thinks they should have a shop steward present??

My plan was this, "I am sorry, I cannot answer that. My supe said that I would not have a job if I did, so I would like to politely decline. If we need to continue this conversation, I would like to request my Weingarten rights and have a shop steward present."

Yes??

Good for you! Never too late to know how to talk to management if they are investigating/questioning you!

It is amazing how many people don't know their Weingarten rights. The lack of that knowledge and you speaking with out representation is major STOOOOPID! Know your Weingarten rights and ALWAYS have representation present. Whether caught off guard, tensions are high, or a management team who is aggressive to want to speak to you without representation to set you up and take you out? I CANT SAY IT ENOUGH, KNOW YOUR WEINGARTEN RIGHTS!

I use to hand out laminated Weingarten rights and can't tell you how many guys in a pinch pulled them out of their wallet and saved their stooopid butts! Your are paying for the representation, be smart and know your rights!

I recommend Always Asking for your Business agent to be present, sometimes it slows up the process in your benefit. They will always try and opt for a Steward when possible.

OR choose to make your own choice! I LOVE Choices!

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
At 104 we print this on the back of our Steward and B.A. business cards: "What to say if Management asks questions that could lead to discipline: "If this discussion could in any way lead to my being disciplined or terminated, or affect my personal working conditions, I request that my Union representative, Officer, or Steward be present at the meeting. Without representation, I choose not to answer any questions""

I thought all Locals used the same Union print shop or similar.

We also have contract language that allows you to request a particular Steward as long as they are reasonably available. Never let them try to grab another employee and say that is your representation.

35years

Gravy route
Well, in reality all employees are equal to managers, and should be treated that way. Managers have legitimate authority in specific areas regarding work to be done. But beyond that any authority that they claim is illegitimate and carries no weight.

Every employee should see th themselves as an equal to management.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
How do you go about facilitating this change?

It's amazing how much power a Steward can have when they are knowledgeable and exercise it. File complete grievances, deluge with information requests, escalate up the management chain, and file NLRB charges when appropriate. But what really gives a Steward their power is the solidarity of the members, and getting that is the enjoyable part:

Acting Collectively

rod

Retired 22 years
A good Steward and the willingness to stand up for what you believe is right can make the difference of a bearable day at work and dreading just showing up. Every center has a certain percentage who will always be afraid to make waves and let management step all over them-- let them be the ones management zeros in on.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
What is the correct phrase to use when one thinks they should have a shop steward present??

My plan was this, "I am sorry, I cannot answer that. My supe said that I would not have a job if I did, so I would like to politely decline. If we need to continue this conversation, I would like to request my Weingarten rights and have a shop steward present."

Yes??
"I feel this conversation will lead to discipline, and I want my steward present. If not, this conversation is over."

Siveriano

To OP might be a bit late but i always carry this on my wallet, whenever i dont want to talk to them i just read this out loud and smile, repeat as many times as needed until they just walk away or call my STEWARD and put it on speaker phone.

I did this once last year when my manager got in my nerves and tried to intimidate me on the road because he was with the building manager.

upload_2019-8-1_20-10-21.png

barnyard

KTM rider
Turned into much ado about nothing. The auditors walked towards me, I shook my head no and they turned to someone else.

I talked to my union rep today and discussed the next steps to take.

It was stupid on my part to say that I was answering the questions wrong. My steward and union rep both made that very clear.

It did get the ball rolling on another thing, so it will all work out in the end. I will update in about 10 days.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Turned into much ado about nothing. The auditors walked towards me, I shook my head no and they turned to someone else.

I talked to my union rep today and discussed the next steps to take.

It was stupid on my part to say that I was answering the questions wrong. My steward and union rep both made that very clear.

It did get the ball rolling on another thing, so it will all work out in the end. I will update in about 10 days.

Ya it was pretty stupid to say you would answer the questions wrong on purpose. What did you think the supervisor was going to say? You should have nipped it in the bud right then and apologized and took the conversation in a different direction. You had his attention then, if they didn't want to do anything then at least you got to voice your opinion.

Everything else is just drama now....let your stewards work on something more important.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Yes??
I never answer as a rule. So many dig holes for themselves by talking.