Well it took 2 years and 355 days...

Lobofan5

Tommorow is my 3 year anniversary with UPS and today was the only day that I have called off JUST BECAUSE I couldn't bear the thought of going in.

Its my own fault that I'm not happy.. I'm too..

1. nice
2. dependable
3. hardworking

However, having those 3 qualities appears to be irrelevant at UPS.

Am I truly as dispensable as they would like me to believe? Would they really step over my dead body to shake the hand of my replacement? Am I completly wasting my time here at UPS?

Any one else feel this way?

HazMatMan

Tommorow is my 3 year anniversary with UPS and today was the only day that I have called off JUST BECAUSE I couldn't bear the thought of going in.

1. nice
2. dependable
3. hardworking

Am I truly as dispensable as they would like me to believe? Would they really step over my dead body to shake the hand of my replacement? Am I completly wasting my time here at UPS?

Yeah, I felt that way after 3 years as well, that was 17 years ago. lol...

softshoe

Yes, you are just another body that will be easily replaced. The facts are that UPS could care less about you, and as soon as you leave they will have a replacement ready to fill your spot.

Big Babooba

You took the day off and the stock dropped .26. Coincidence? I see a pattern starting to develop. Suck it up and report tomorrow for your daily dose of abuse. Truthfully, I don't know how you lasted so long. I tend to burn my sick days up by the end of summer.

LKLND3380

1. nice
2. dependable
3. hardworking

You are dispensable BUT they need to hire three people to replace you because many new hires quit

rod

Retired 22 years
I made it 17 years without calling in sick- then I screwed my back up. center manager called me at home after about a week off and told me to "get my :censored2: back to work because he knew I was faking it". Don't ya just love em.:whiteflag:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Yes, you are just another body that will be easily replaced. The facts are that UPS could care less about you, and as soon as you leave they will have a replacement ready to fill your spot.

Replaced, yes. Easily, maybe not. Some of us touch lives to a greater extent than we think. I found out late last night from someone that works in my old hub that two part-time supes I knew when I was there still ask about me fairly regularly. I knew the one fairly well, the other I met and interacted with once in awhile. I've been gone over 3 years. I was stunned. And two years ago, I was thinking about applying for a job with FDX. I suggested to another person I used to work with at that Chicago hub tell the sort manager about it. He laughed and declined, saying, "Yeah, right. If I do that, I'm gonna wind up on the grating and X is gonna be cursing like a drunken sailor!" -Rocky

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Lobo If you left they would feel like they won the battle. I have felt that way many times over the years but just refused to let them win. Now I can retire whenever I want but choose to stay for now. I feel like I won the battle and enjoy coming to work each day now. Hard to find a good paying job with Benni's like we have, so think twice before you quit.:peaceful:

dillweed

We're pretty much all like dixie cups - use, crumple and toss. Even management can be replaced, and they are. My husband worked for a large construction company years ago. There was a higher up who used a company car. One day they fired him, told hiim to gather his things then took him in "his" car and dumped him at the curb in front of his house. No one is immune.

I do feel, however, that our absence would be felt. We all have strong points and contribute to the company. UPS isn't going to come around and pat us on the back but as brownshoe said, we have great bennies.

under the radar

A Trained Professional
Trying not to sound cynical but truthful, a corporation is defined as:

a body of people acting as one individual eg for administration or business purposes

and:

an invisible, intangible, artificial creation of the law existing as a voluntary chartered association of individuals that has most of the rights and duties of natural persons but with perpetual existence and limited liability

It is not my Mom or Dad. It exists to create revenue, not to make me feel all warm inside.

The qualities of being nice, dependable and hard working will make my stay at UPS more enjoyable but they don't owe me a living, they are required to compensate me for doing the work that they prescribe.

Don't be surprised that if you retire from this, or any other company, that the first question people will ask you is, "Who will be our new guy?" It's human nature.

Don't get me wrong, I've made a lot of good friends (and a few enemies) with management and customers and I have few regrets about making UPS my career, but I realize that the day I walk out the door, another person will step right in and fill my spot just like I did when I started.

Maybe some of our retirees can weigh in on this.

Lobofan5

Well I went in today and had a fabulous day. I think I had a few too many of the crappy days strung together...it got to me.

I just need to remember that 'this too will change'..and NOTHING is forever at UPS.

Speaking about the fabulous bennies..my husband just had a total knee replacement and we had to pay $4.00 out of pocket. The bennies rock.

dillweed

Hope the knee replacement went well for your husband. My sister had one a year a so or go and now she's stepping like a spring chicken. :happy-very:

Isn't it wonderful how every experience we have changes our perspective on so many other things?

undertheradar - you brought up an interesting point. Those many of us who stay become closely attached and, whether we like each other or not, share a strong bond. As far as leaving UPS, yes there will be another to take my place. And they'll be more than welcome to it!