Whale Wars

whiskey

When in Rome. I've eaten whale meat in Hell Norway. Nothing to write home about. It was a Minke whale. It was dark meat, on the dry side, kind of tough and chewy, reminded me of a serving of liver. Sad to see a deceased Sperm whale surfacing close to the BP disaster.
Don't care for that whale show.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I watched the show a few times, but it lost all credibility with me when the captain conveniently decided to wear body armor up on deck during a confrontation with a whaling ship, and then pulled a flattened "bullet" out of the vest and claimed to have been shot.

I replayed that part, and it was pure BS. He was wearing Level II or III soft armor, which will only stop pistol bullets or shotgun pellets, yet they never got close enough to the Japanese ship for a handgun or shotgun to have had any chance of being fired accurately. Only a scoped hunting rifle could have made the shot, but the bullet would have punched right thru the vest he was wearing and killed him. It was a lame publicity stunt, and at that point I quit watching the show.

soberups

There is nothing wrong with native peoples hunting whales for sustenance.

I dont believe that the native boats were equipped with diesel engines, sonar and explosive-tipped harpoons though.

over9five

Staff member
Two hour season finale Friday night! I never saw the show before this thread, but I kinda like it. Yeah, the crews are a bunch of softies. The captain (admiral now) is a bit odd.
The only one who has any merit is Peter, the first mate on the Bob Barker. I see why they put him with the "other" captain, who I feel is really.....I don't know... not very captain like. Peter's in his 5th year down there, is calm, and knows what he's doing.
Too bad they lost the Ady Gill (the cool speedboat). The captain (ex) of that is going to board one of the Japanese boats.

Sick thing to kill whales, and then say you're only doing it for research. They've stopped the Japanese from killing whales for a couple weeks now just by riding so close to the processing ship that they can't transfer whales to it.

Hell, I might donate.

klein

Für Meno :)
Poor whale baby gets eaten with mother by killer whales :(

[video=youtube;fpXKrF08eyE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpXKrF08eyE[/video]

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Where the hell are the Whale War freaks when you need them????
They could have thrown bags of powder at the Orca's.

soberups

Re: Whale Wars

Originally Posted by soberups

I dont believe that the native boats were equipped with diesel engines, sonar and explosive-tipped harpoons though.

Or rifles.

Point taken.

The natives, however, weren't limited to a single three-week hunting season for the entire year. And they werent required to only take mature buck deer or bull elk with a minimum number of antler points. They killed and ate whatever game they came across. Same deal with fishing, they didnt have stream closures or daily limits on the type or number of fish that could be taken.

klein

Für Meno :)
Re: Whale Wars
Originally Posted by soberups

Point taken.

The natives, however, weren't limited to a single three-week hunting season for the entire year. And they werent required to only take mature buck deer or bull elk with a minimum number of antler points. They killed and ate whatever game they came across. Same deal with fishing, they didnt have stream closures or daily limits on the type or number of fish that could be taken.​
Gee, the natives and eskimos (inuit), only hunted for what their needs met.
They also used everything out of a whale (from skin to fat, to meat ) making oils, clothing, and food, and heating oil.
Nothing went to waste.

And they would never over hunt, knowing it would go to waste. I give them big credit for that !

soberups

If the Sea Shepherds were truly serious about putting an end to the whaling, they would ditch the non-violent tactics and start using brute force.

The world arms market is awash with perfectly servicible Eastern-Bloc surplus weaponry such as the RPG's and AK-47's that are used by the Somali pirates as well as insurgents and rebels everywhere.

If a bunch of Yemeni terrorists were able to take out a US Navy destroyer using a remote-control speedboat packed with explosives, there is no reason that the Sea Shepherds couldn't do the same thing against an unarmed Japanese fishing boat.

It would definately make for higher ratings then continuing to bombard the fishing boats with stink bombs.

over9five

Staff member
If the Sea Shepherds were truly serious about putting an end to the whaling, they would ditch the non-violent tactics and start using brute force.

The world arms market is awash with perfectly servicible Eastern-Bloc surplus weaponry such as the RPG's and AK-47's that are used by the Somali pirates as well as insurgents and rebels everywhere.

If a bunch of Yemeni terrorists were able to take out a US Navy destroyer using a remote-control speedboat packed with explosives, there is no reason that the Sea Shepherds couldn't do the same thing against an unarmed Japanese fishing boat.

It would definately make for higher ratings then continuing to bombard the fishing boats with stink bombs.

LOL, +1. I would be looking forward to that every week!