Strike Vote

542thruNthru

Why are we doing an in person strike vote? Especially with such short notice. This seems very uncoordinated to me.

I thought the goal was to get more participation this time.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just not seeing the big picture here.

Why are we doing an in person strike vote? Especially with such short notice. This seems very uncoordinated to me.

They are coming down to the building before and after the shifts next week to get people to vote

I think maybe they think if they come to the buildings for the next couple weeks they'll get more voter participation. Of they leave it up to each individual to call in, we'll get 50k people, if they approach everyone individually, they may get close to 200k? Maybe more?

Speculating, of course. You or I aren't the conventional teamster these days, most don't participate even at the basic level.

I think maybe they think if they come to the buildings for the next couple weeks they'll get more voter participation. Of they leave it up to each individual to call in, we'll get 50k people, if they approach everyone individually, they may get close to 200k? Maybe more?

Speculating, of course. You or I aren't the conventional teamster these days, most don't participate even at the basic level.
The vote count is due by next Friday

Thebrownblob

Verifying dues are paid, are going to be a nightmare

dudebro

Sometimes there are legal reasons, so the vote response would stand up better to scrutiny in court. "How did you determine you had the rank and file authority to strike?". A: The members voted yes IN PERSON. Hard to develop evidence to throw that one out, vs an app, or a (forged? manufactured?) paper vote. Just my $.02.

Thebrownblob

Sometimes there are legal reasons, so the vote response would stand up better to scrutiny in court. "How did you determine you had the rank and file authority to strike?". A: The members voted yes IN PERSON. Hard to develop evidence to throw that one out, vs an app, or a (forged? manufactured?) paper vote. Just my $.02.
Doubt it has much to do with that it’s going to pass and by a large margin percentage wise, it always does. Of course if it passes by 98% and only 100 people vote it’s a little deceiving.

We vote for a contract online

542thruNthru

The planning a lone will take all this week in my opinion. Finding the volunteers and observers. Setting up locations and notifying everyone. Let's not forget the locals like 104 in AZ that have the whole state. Not only that but the fact that the app is how most local found out there would even be a strike vote. I know my local is scrambling to get everything prepared and looking for stewards to be pulled out all while dealing with a strike that's happening right now.

Again, seems like piss poor planning.

The planning a lone will take all this week in my opinion. Finding the volunteers and observers. Setting up locations and notifying everyone. Let's not forget the locals like 104 in AZ that have the whole state. Not only that but the fact that the app is how most local found out there would even be a strike vote. I know my local is scrambling to get everything prepared and looking for stewards to be pulled out all while dealing with a strike that's happening right now.

Again, seems like piss poor planning.
I figured this was all part of the plan, I didn't realize the communication wasn't there between the National and the Locals. Logistical nightmare.

dudebro

We vote for a contract online
Yea, but a yes vote on a contract where everyone gets back to work is much less likely to be challenged in court.
I just imagine the Teamster Executive Board conferred with their legal team and that legal team suggested they "harden" the strike authorization based on how other cases have gone, as worth the effort and time spent.

Thebrownblob

I figured this was all part of the plan, I didn't realize the communication wasn't there between the National and the Locals. Logistical nightmare.
Multiple buildings, multiple shifts spread out through several hundred miles and 24 hours and a limited number of people available to cover all that, it’s going to be quite difficult on such short notice, in a short amount of time.

Up In Smoke

I received a current seniority list for each shift with a simple "yes" and "no" box and a place for employees initials and my initials. 2 witness signature lines on the bottom of each page. I guess I just got the answer as to who's conducting the vote.