What A Non Union Company Did To My Sister And Hundreds Of Others.

A

anonymous6

just ranting here and totally helpless to do anything about it.

My sister worked for Farmers Insurance for over 30 years and was let go along with hundreds of other high seniority employees 9 months before her 55th birthday and her full pension is gone..

so now she just gets a small fraction of her pension ( company run ) and has to start all over again in life. this , i found out, is a fairly common business practise at Farmers and probably other huge non union companies.

just pisses me off 100 fold and i can't do anything about it.

curiousbrain

I'm sure there are more eloquent and meaningful things going through other peoples heads, but all I can think of is: That totally freaking blows.

Criminal, even.

And people say unions are bad and that we fight for things to much. Situation like this is why we have unions in the first place. Company's not take care of there hard working employee's. (nan,nan,nan,nan...nan,nan,nan,nan, DIRT BAGS.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Just returned from the local Walmart. Tried to get a partial prescription refilled. Was told by the pharmacist that it was not covered by my prescription SaveRX card. When I asked him why he stated "We do not contract with union healthcare plans". Bastards!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Just returned from the local Walmart. Tried to get a partial prescription refilled. Was told by the pharmacist that it was not covered by my prescription SaveRX card. When I asked him why he stated "We do not contract with union healthcare plans". Bastards!

Are you going to continue to shop there????wal mart is in big time hot water in some other countries for paying bribes to officials for special treatment.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Are you going to continue to shop there????wal mart is in big time hot water in some other countries for paying bribes to officials for special treatment.

We only go there for a select few things my wife can't find at other places.

Last time I had 3 things and it took me 35 minutes to get thru the checkout. Not worth it to me.

I do give wal mart props for hiring some disabled people that no other company would give a chance. At the same time there's a reason the employees look much more respectable at the store I go to. It's employee owned pay very good wages and even give benefits.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

Walmart is afraid if their workers saw my $2.50 co-pay for a prescription that costs $50/pill the workers would riot.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
After reading this thread I looked up Farmer's Insurance employee reviews some phrases sound very familiar LOL:

worked there for approx 5 years. If you are just out of college, it is decent pay and a good start for most people who could not get another job. But the management was shady and all about making their numbers look good... even if they weren't, which lead to dishonesty of reps, supervisors and mgmnt. There was no work life balance. Often told to not.........

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Walmart is afraid if their workers saw my $2.50 co-pay for a prescription that costs $50/pill the workers would riot.

Last time I had 3 things and it took me 35 minutes to get thru the checkout. Not worth it to me.

I do give wal mart props for hiring some disabled people that no other company would give a chance. At the same time there's a reason the employees look much more respectable at the store I go to. It's employee owned pay very good wages and even give benefits.

They run a commercial out west here that shows the prices of goods bought at Walmart and the same items bought at Fred meyers which is owned by kroger. The Walmart total was only 6 or 7% lower than Fred meyers, which employs union workers with higher wages and benefits. Walmart is not that much cheaper!!! I'll spend the extra 6 bucks supporting union benefits and healthcare.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
just ranting here and totally helpless to do anything about it.

My sister worked for Farmers Insurance for over 30 years and was let go along with hundreds of other high seniority employees 9 months before her 55th birthday and her full pension is gone..

so now she just gets a small fraction of her pension ( company run ) and has to start all over again in life. this , i found out, is a fairly common business practise at Farmers and probably other huge non union companies.

just pisses me off 100 fold and i can't do anything about it.

My dad worked at a copper foundry that was shut down by the owner during an organizing campaign by the USW in the early '90's. He was never involved and the USW eventually left - he didn't really said much against or about unions when I was growing up, other than complaining whenever the UAW would strike during the Clinton administration. There were a lot of 60-70 hour weeks working 3rd shift and whatever other shift he could when I was in grade and middle school.

After 15+ years there, they demoted him from what was essentially middle management back to the floor and cut his pay to shreds. He jumped ship and got hired at a Dell plant that was opening right when I graduated high school and I was hired on at UPS. He bled Dell blue until they decided it was cheaper to manufacture office servers and laptops in Mexico. He was laid off 3+ years ago and is still trying to find a job that pays more than $9.00/hr - he went through a pharmacy tech program which had the government paying for his training, but no one wants to hire a 60 year old.

Cutting someone's knees out from under them on the eve of their (well-earned) retirement is one of the most despicable things about the modern American way of doing business. Nearly everyone - with few exceptions - should have the viable option to join a union. The deck has always been stacked against the American worker and its only been getting worse since the Great Recession.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I can count on one hand the number of times I have shopped at Walmart in my lifetime.
Needed an urgent prescription filled on vacation last week and Walmart was the only 24 hr one that would work out. They only had 1/2 the medication on hand so I had to get the balance filled upon returning home.

Evil

Why would any of you walk into a non-union store in the first place?

I've never walked into a Wall-Mart nor will I ever, shame on you that have set foot in that store.

I've delivered at a Wall-Mart twice, and both times I left their stuff outside in the dock, I refuse to walk into their garbage dumps of working-class exploitation!

raceanoncr

OK, orang, I'm glad you mentioned the company...FARMERS INSURANCE. Let's ALL remember this when they come knocking on your door for business, or you relatives, or your friends, or anybody you know. Spread the word.

No customers means no business. And, ahem, pay attention UPS.

I do this alot when businesses or politicians are campaigning here or on the phone.

"Uh, remember when you cut me off?"

"Uh, remember when we had a flood here and I asked for your help?"

"Uh, remember when you raised my rates for no good reason?"

In addition, when holding for unGodly lengths of time on the phone, I always ask, "Is this conversation being taped?" If it is, I always then say, "Well, in today's economy, with so many people out of a job, maybe you should HIRE more help, huh".

Catatonic

Nine Lives

You are a SCAB for going to Wal-Mart.
Turn in your Union card!

cino321

I know several management at UPS who vocally refuse to support development of any Walmart in NYC based alone on how they compensate their employees unfairly. Walmart is bad for our economy whether you are a union supporter or not. Low prices are very expensive long term wise once you start considering costs of welfare and unemployment.