What A Non Union Company Did To My Sister And Hundreds Of Others.

jbird669

If you want to shop union try buying from the government.
Only 11.1% of Americans are union workers and 35.9% of those are in "The public sector", public sector being the code phrase of a govt. employee.
wcms_160455.jpg

The majority of working Americans have always been non union.
Mom/Pop stores are non union, but people will not shop at WalMart because they are non union?
Sorry, but 6.6% of our collective number of American workers is not a majority.
The democrats and unions decry the 1% elite, while they are of the same ilk.

Amen! In theory the boycotting of non-union businesses is novel but in reality, good luck.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Perhaps you should research what "life-style" means.
​It has nothing to do with one's job except the job helps support a "life-style".

I know what lifestyle means, and I stand by the context of my posting. Per the sociology definition, working 10-12 hours per day could be an integral part of one's lifestyle.

A

anonymous6

update: my sister was out of work for 2 years now. had to sell her house for a loss and was completely broke until my other sister, my parents, and myself sent her money and gave her other financial support. ( blood is thicker than water )

anyway, at age 57, she finally landed a job at a nationwide company as a customer service rep...........at minimum wage.

I just wanna kill somebody.

p.s. people ask "why do we need unions?" well , here is one reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
update: my sister was out of work for 2 years now. had to sell her house for a loss and was completely broke until my other sister, my parents, and myself sent her money and gave her other financial support. ( blood is thicker than water )

anyway, at age 57, she finally landed a job at a nationwide company as a customer service rep...........at minimum wage.

I just wanna kill somebody.

p.s. people ask "why do we need unions?" well , here is one reason.

The worst part about your sister's experience is that this is becoming an increasingly common story in this country. During the Recession, "80 became the new 60" as far as retirement was concerned and the stagnant unemployment rate has driven down wages across the board. My dad is in a similar situation; he was laid-off from a manufacturing job that outsourced to Malaysia in late 2009 and went on unemployment. He couldn't find any work, so he took advantage of a displaced worker program to receive training as a pharmacy tech. Now, every pharmacy wants him to "intern" (work for ****ing free) to "gain experience" before they'll hire him so he's been forced to take a warehouse job at $10/hr as a 60 year old man with a pacemaker while he keeps looking.

Wall Street is just gonna keep putting the squeeze on working people until they throw down the gauntlet -- just like they did in the 1930's.

brett636

Are you going to continue to shop there????wal mart is in big time hot water in some other countries for paying bribes to officials for special treatment.

I still shop there. In fact I am at Sams club nearly every week buying something. As far as the bribes go I wonder what countries this occurred in. Not every nation views bribes as we do and in fact is considered a normal part of business in many lesser countries. I had a political science professor who was in Africa and wanted to cross a border from one country to the next and the border guard simply refused to let him do it despite the fact that he had every legal right to do so. As soon as my professor pulled out some cash and handed it over the border guard was more than willing to let him pass. Imagine you are a company in a foreign country where you need the cooperation of many different government officials who aren't paid much to do your business. If you don't grease some palms they will probably make life very hard for you and your company.

brett636

The worst part about your sister's experience is that this is becoming an increasingly common story in this country. During the Recession, "80 became the new 60" as far as retirement was concerned and the stagnant unemployment rate has driven down wages across the board. My dad is in a similar situation; he was laid-off from a manufacturing job that outsourced to Malaysia in late 2009 and went on unemployment. He couldn't find any work, so he took advantage of a displaced worker program to receive training as a pharmacy tech. Now, every pharmacy wants him to "intern" (work for ****ing free) to "gain experience" before they'll hire him so he's been forced to take a warehouse job at $10/hr as a 60 year old man with a pacemaker while he keeps looking.

Wall Street is just gonna keep putting the squeeze on working people until they throw down the gauntlet -- just like they did in the 1930's.

How long would he have been expected to be an intern? What would his pay be once he is a fully compensated employee? I know it sucks, but it may have been worth his while to suck it up and do the intern thing just to get his foot in the door. Unfortunately this is the case when you switch career paths.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I still shop there. In fact I am at Sams club nearly every week buying something. As far as the bribes go I wonder what countries this occurred in. Not every nation views bribes as we do and in fact is considered a normal part of business in many lesser countries. I had a political science professor who was in Africa and wanted to cross a border from one country to the next and the border guard simply refused to let him do it despite the fact that he had every legal right to do so. As soon as my professor pulled out some cash and handed it over the border guard was more than willing to let him pass. Imagine you are a company in a foreign country where you need the cooperation of many different government officials who aren't paid much to do your business. If you don't grease some palms they will probably make life very hard for you and your company.
"Reagan conservative" ha ha

A

anonymous6

we live in California and it seems like half the people are on welfare, food stamps , or some kind of public assistance. my sister could of gone this route but would not.

I just feel ashamed about the direction that this country has been going the last 30-40 years where the dollar is more important than people. I said this before and am saying it again. our generation will be the last that is better off than our parents. ( boom babies ) . our children are NOT doing very well. our grandchildren will be slaves for the corporations.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
we live in California and it seems like half the people are on welfare, food stamps , or some kind of public assistance. my sister could of gone this route but would not.

I just feel ashamed about the direction that this country has been going the last 30-40 years where the dollar is more important than people. I said this before and am saying it again. our generation will be the last that is better off than our parents. ( boom babies ) . our children are NOT doing very well. our grandchildren will be slaves for the corporations.

These things are cyclical: the baby boomers came of age during a healthy economy with high unionization across the board when things started to nose dive. I think the folks in my generation (the kids born in the 1980's-1990's) are finally realizing they're getting a raw deal and there's nothing left for us except the scraps, even after we did what we were told to do to succeed (ie. go to college, get a degree.) A bellwether for this might be Black Friday this year: there were some Walmart employees that stood up for themselves last year, but they've actually started walking out and shutting stores down.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

While I feel sorry for your sister's plight, she is part to blame for not taking assistance from the State and National governments.
This is what this country has become and if you can't beat the Dems, you might as well join in.
She is about my age and I know this is a hard reconciliation for her.
She needs to think like a 30 year old.
Just my opinion.

A

anonymous6

These things are cyclical: the baby boomers came of age during a healthy economy with high unionization across the board when things started to nose dive. I think the folks in my generation (the kids born in the 1980's-1990's) are finally realizing they're getting a raw deal and there's nothing left for us except the scraps, even after we did what we were told to do to succeed (ie. go to college, get a degree.) A bellwether for this might be Black Friday this year: there were some Walmart employees that stood up for themselves last year, but they've actually started walking out and shutting stores down.

hope to the great spirit that you are right.