what a waste of money!

wornoutupser

Today I heard about a Central Florida building that beats it all!

Every car was dispatched and of course, a breakdown happened.

The driver managed to get back to the building and there were no more cars.
The center manager wanted to get a rental to put him back on the road quickly.

The rental would have been around $ 100.00 and it was denied.

Instead, UPS called a wrecker to go to Orlando, pick up another vehicle and take it there. The last time a tow went that direction it was around $500.00

The driver then had to reload into the new car and did not leave until app 15:30.
The delivery area was about 45 minutes away and most of the work had to go to other drivers to make service. I cringe to think of the overtime involved.

I was told that the affected driver got back around 22:30 tonight.

One can well calculate the extra cost that UPS chose to incur due to this. Literally, they stepped over well over $500 plus to save $100.

Whose head should roll?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Ups sends back our rentals 2 weeks before peak ends. Then they tow in cars from another center for Saturday delivery. Then tow them back for monday.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
That’s typical UPS... i have seen them tow a tractor back from 4 states away because it needed to go to the dealer and nobody felt like doing it where it broke down.

Plus, what sane company expects 100 percent dispatch reliability from vehicles up to 25 years old with 300k hard miles on them.

If they ran UPS airline the same way the FAA would pull their air carrier certification

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Instead, UPS called a wrecker to go to Orlando, pick up another vehicle and take it there. The last time a tow went that direction it was around $500.00

The driver then had to reload into the new car and did not leave until app 15:30.
The delivery area was about 45 minutes away and most of the work had to go to other drivers to make service. I cringe to think of the overtime involved.

One can well calculate the extra cost that UPS chose to incur due to this. Literally, they stepped over well over $500 plus to save $100.

Whose head should roll?
Better question is who get the promotion???

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Whose head should roll?
Seems normal? You a newbie?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Ups sends back our rentals 2 weeks before peak ends. Then they tow in cars from another center for Saturday delivery. Then tow them back for monday.
Is this “face palm” worthy????
ADF22890-1FD0-4DAB-AC9E-44482320A710.jpeg

Maplewood

Whose head should roll?
Step over Dollars to pick up Dimes! Thats what Lil Abney and his deaf dumb & blind division mamagers are all about. At least we know it isn't the cost of the employees thats killing profits. That Orion bill getts bigger every year! lol

Maplewood

Seriously? Why the tow truck? Just drive the driver to the other bldg to drive the other truck back? Way faster than waiting around all day for a tow truck.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Package cars either

Not sure about package but they said the CNG is metered and this will push $$ into January and make numbers look better for this year.

I'm sure they've cancelled all fuel deliveries as well. I see at least one tanker truck on the yard every day.

Indecisi0n

Whose head should roll?
So stupid .Just rent the wrecker for the day and use that to tow the package car around all day until done .Duh .

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Been a few years, but California was not meeting their emission standards, so they scoured the country for the Clean Idle 271 series Internationals. They were going to swap out some of their non clean idle tractors with the 271's.

We had one of them.

I kid you not, they flew a guy from California to Ohio. He drove the tractor back to California. He then drove the replacement tractor from California to Ohio and then flew back to California.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I drove a tractor from HARPA to STAVA yesterday. When I went to leave I went to crank up my window and it fell down off the track. They didn't have the parts in STAVA to fix it, but funny enough HARPA does. So they give me another tractor to take to HARPA.
I get back to HARPA and give our shop the keys to my borrowed tractor and tell them, "Why don't you put the parts to fix our tractor in it to take down tomorrow with a regular driver who waits down there 3 hours and they can fix ours while he waits and get their tractor back in the mean time, then he can bring our tractor back with his return load?" The shop manager says, "nah, it will be easier if we tow theirs back to STAVA and then tow our tractor back here to HARPA." WTF!!!! So instead of the easiest solution they will spend nearly $3,000 in towing. So dumb.

Then today I get to UFRNY (MayBrook NY) and a driver from another building near us had a breakdown. Freight wouldn't give him one of their tractors. His shop was going to tow a tractor up for him to bring back (4 hours away). I said, "call them back and see if I can take you back to HARPA with me and you can catch a ride with another driver to LANPA from there." Calls are made and he rides back with me.
So the solution to get his tractor back........
Freight is going to fix his tractor and will be ready next week. LANPA going to give him a tractor to drive up and swap for his tractor and leave the replacement there and have a tow company bring it back. I asked, "Why don't you just start a driver from the call board at the same time and he can ride up with the regular driver and then bring back the second truck." The response........"nah, it's easier to have it towed." But it will cost them $1,500 in towing rather than paying another driver $400 to drive it back. Silliness!!

Cementups

Box Monkey
We are not fueling CNG tractors until Wednesday to save the cost on this year's budget. Not joking.

We have some brilliant leadership!

It's a nationwide initiative. Last minute effort to make budget. Everyone in the country got the same message. And I'm sure managers were told if they make their numbers they will get bonuses for their efforts.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I drove a tractor from HARPA to STAVA yesterday. When I went to leave I went to crank up my window and it fell down off the track. They didn't have the parts in STAVA to fix it, but funny enough HARPA does. So they give me another tractor to take to HARPA.
I get back to HARPA and give our shop the keys to my borrowed tractor and tell them, "Why don't you put the parts to fix our tractor in it to take down tomorrow with a regular driver who waits down there 3 hours and they can fix ours while he waits and get their tractor back in the mean time, then he can bring our tractor back with his return load?" The shop manager says, "nah, it will be easier if we tow theirs back to STAVA and then tow our tractor back here to HARPA." WTF!!!! So instead of the easiest solution they will spend nearly $3,000 in towing. So dumb.

Then today I get to UFRNY (MayBrook NY) and a driver from another building near us had a breakdown. Freight wouldn't give him one of their tractors. His shop was going to tow a tractor up for him to bring back (4 hours away). I said, "call them back and see if I can take you back to HARPA with me and you can catch a ride with another driver to LANPA from there." Calls are made and he rides back with me.
So the solution to get his tractor back........
Freight is going to fix his tractor and will be ready next week. LANPA going to give him a tractor to drive up and swap for his tractor and leave the replacement there and have a tow company bring it back. I asked, "Why don't you just start a driver from the call board at the same time and he can ride up with the regular driver and then bring back the second truck." The response........"nah, it's easier to have it towed." But it will cost them $1,500 in towing rather than paying another driver $400 to drive it back. Silliness!!

And they wonder what's wrong with this company.