What are you listening to? Part 6

LarryBird

You obviously haven’t listened to the radio lately if you think his “trite” airtime has been replaced by more worthy artists. Lol
I try to listen to the radio as little as possible. But I still catch a few hours per week regardless.

That said, I think any artist who is doing something original is more worthy of radio airtime than one who is copying others, or comes from a cookie cutter mould.

There have been some artists who came along recently or released new music in the rock or mainstream rock genres that are far more deserving of the limited airtime radio stations have, and that's why Daughtry is finished.

The only question that leaves me with, is why was he ever given a start to begin with? He was repetitive a decade ago, and just a copy of artists that were what record companies thought we wanted to hear/were selling well.

His continued absence from the music scene makes nobody pine for the good old days of late 00's rock radio, because they never existed. They were only the last breaths of the early 00's rock revival before it finally died.

People like Daughtry and Nickelback hammered home the last nails in the coffin before we buried it.

If you like Daughtry, cool. Well, not really, but still. That's your business. But his music is like ass cheddar - it absolutely stinks and nobody in their right mind wants to consume it. There's not really any argument against this.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I'd have to pick up the Alt Rock station from three counties away to hear something like that which I usually can only do if I'm traveling that way. Our local rock station is absolute dog:censored2:. They quietly reformatted with no announcement a couple years ago (I still noticed) and now all they play is Black Sabbath, The Stones, and Pink Floyd on repeat.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I'd have to pick up the Alt Rock station from three counties away to hear something like that which I usually can only do if I'm traveling that way. Our local rock station is absolute dog:censored2:. They quietly reformatted with no announcement a couple years ago (I still noticed) and now all they play is Black Sabbath, The Stones, and Pink Floyd on repeat.
Our rock station quietly reformatted to what they consider “alternative rock”. Really it’s not. Lol. Fortunately we still have a classic rock station for actual rock.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I try to listen to the radio as little as possible. But I still catch a few hours per week regardless.

That said, I think any artist who is doing something original is more worthy of radio airtime than one who is copying others, or comes from a cookie cutter mould.

There have been some artists who came along recently or released new music in the rock or mainstream rock genres that are far more deserving of the limited airtime radio stations have, and that's why Daughtry is finished.

The only question that leaves me with, is why was he ever given a start to begin with? He was repetitive a decade ago, and just a copy of artists that were what record companies thought we wanted to hear/were selling well.

His continued absence from the music scene makes nobody pine for the good old days of late 00's rock radio, because they never existed. They were only the last breaths of the early 00's rock revival before it finally died.

People like Daughtry and Nickelback hammered home the last nails in the coffin before we buried it.

If you like Daughtry, cool. Well, not really, but still. That's your business. But his music is like ass cheddar - it absolutely stinks and nobody in their right mind wants to consume it. There's not really any argument against this.
Please list your top ten bands/performers of all time. I’d love to hear it.

MyTripisCut

You serious, Clark?

Standby.

I'll post them in a little bit.

Maybe I'll even post more than 10, who knows?

Maybe in no particular order, or perhaps meticulously ordered. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

66692BF5-E795-4948-8895-6E74B9557F9A.gif

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
When they change to "alternative rock" it doesn't last long because few people want to listen to it.

I don’t understand how this could be considered alternative rock. There used to be a real alternative rock station here years ago, 99.1 WHFS. Now THEY played alternative rock. Everyone was so upset when they changed format to a Spanish station. They would play great music that you’d probably never heard before. The DJs actually brought in a lot of their own music. But that was before all the stations became one big IHeart show.

sailfish

Our rock station quietly reformatted to what they consider “alternative rock”. Really it’s not. Lol. Fortunately we still have a classic rock station for actual rock.
I'm just glad I have SXM in my car and Youtube and Pandora at home for listening to what I like and finding new stuff. If I was dependent on local radio for music I'd be completely screwed.

sailfish

When they change to "alternative rock" it doesn't last long because few people want to listen to it.
The Alt station here (I shouldn't say "here". The closest one to here.) is actually pretty good. I can't believe what I'm really hearing on an FM station sometimes.

LarryBird

Please list your top ten bands/performers of all time. I’d love to hear it.
Eric Clapton - including all side projects/bands, Yardbirds, Mayall, Cream, Blind Faith, Delaney & Bonnie, Derek & the Dominos, Winwood & Clapton, etc.

The Band

Neil Young

Grateful Dead - including Jerry's side projects, JGB, Garcia & Grisman, etc and Phil & Friends

Wilco

The Beatles - including George Harrison, Paul McCartney, and John Lennon's solo works

Bob Dylan

David Bowie

The Strokes - including their various side projects/bands like Albert Hammond Jr solo, Julian Casablancas solo, The Voidz, Little Joy, etc

The White Stripes/Jack White/The Raconteurs

Marvin Gaye

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Ryan Adams

The Allman Brothers - including Gregg Allman solo, Duane Allman session work, Derek Trucks solo/Tedeschi Trucks Band, Dickey Betts solo band, and Warren Haynes solo/Gov't Mule

Rolling Stones

LCD Soundsystem

Talking Heads

Stevie Wonder

Beck

Prince

Robert Cray

Buddy Guy

Van Morrison

My Morning Jacket

Freddie King

James Brown

Jimmie Vaughan - including his time as a sideman

Arcade Fire

Pearl Jam

Nirvana - including Dave Grohl solo/Foo Fighters

Muddy Waters

Guns and Roses

Dire Straits - including Mark Knoppfler solo

Phish - including Trey Anastasio Band, Mike Gordon Band, Leo Kottke and Mike Gordon, and Vida Blue

Pink Floyd

Modest Mouse

The Flaming Lips

The Felice Brothers

Amy Winehouse

Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings

Hall & Oates

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

BB King

Johnny Cash

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Alice in Chains

Alabama Shakes

Red Hot Chili Peppers - including John Frusciante solo work

Cat Stevens

Jim Croce

There's some bands/artists that rank among my favorites, in no particular order, and not including any rap. I'm sure I forgot some, but I just rifled them down, and then checked to make sure there were no repeats.

I have good tastes in music, and I don't like bull:censored2: canned artists that labels throw out there in response to whatever trends in music are popular at the time - the bands or singers that were put out there in response to the kind of artists that appear on my list, who were for the most part originators and/or fresh and exciting talents.

MyTripisCut

Eric Clapton - including all side projects/bands, Yardbirds, Mayall, Cream, Blind Faith, Delaney & Bonnie, Derek & the Dominos, Winwood & Clapton, etc.

The Band

Neil Young

Grateful Dead - including Jerry's side projects, JGB, Garcia & Grisman, etc and Phil & Friends

Wilco

The Beatles - including George Harrison, Paul McCartney, and John Lennon's solo works

Bob Dylan

David Bowie

The Strokes - including their various side projects/bands like Albert Hammond Jr solo, Julian Casablancas solo, The Voidz, Little Joy, etc

The White Stripes/Jack White/The Raconteurs

Marvin Gaye

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Ryan Adams

The Allman Brothers - including Gregg Allman solo, Duane Allman session work, Derek Trucks solo/Tedeschi Trucks Band, Dickey Betts solo band, and Warren Haynes solo/Gov't Mule

Rolling Stones

LCD Soundsystem

Talking Heads

Stevie Wonder

Beck

Prince

Robert Cray

Buddy Guy

Van Morrison

My Morning Jacket

Freddie King

James Brown

Jimmie Vaughan - including his time as a sideman

Arcade Fire

Pearl Jam

Nirvana - including Dave Grohl solo/Foo Fighters

Muddy Waters

Guns and Roses

Dire Straits - including Mark Knoppfler solo

Phish - including Trey Anastasio Band, Mike Gordon Band, Leo Kottke and Mike Gordon, and Vida Blue

Pink Floyd

Modest Mouse

The Flaming Lips

The Felice Brothers

Amy Winehouse

Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings

Hall & Oates

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

BB King

Johnny Cash

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Alice in Chains

Alabama Shakes

Red Hot Chili Peppers - including John Frusciante solo work

Cat Stevens

Jim Croce

There's some bands/artists that rank among my favorites, in no particular order, and not including any rap. I'm sure I forgot some, but I just rifled them down, and then checked to make sure there were no repeats.

I have good tastes in music, and I don't like bull:censored2: canned artists that labels throw out there in response to whatever trends in music are popular at the time - the bands or singers that were put out there in response to the kind of artists that appear on my list, who were for the most part originators and/or fresh and exciting talents.
Pretty comprehensive list. We have similar taste in music for sure. And I hate Nickelback equally as you do.

LarryBird

I couldn't do that if I tried. Maybe a few long time favorites plus others I've happened to be listening to the most lately.
I couldn't either.

That's why my list started out as an attempt at it, for the first 6 or 7 slots, and then turned into me listing somewhere near 50 of my favorite bands/artists in no order.

Listing your top 10 is damn near impossible.

Listing your top 3 is probably pretty easy for most people, but after that, how are you gonna say that number 10 is that much better than your number 15 choice?

If you love music, it's retarded how difficult it is to narrow down 10 choices. I didn’t even bother to try after 2 minutes, and just started listing my favorites. I'm sure I still forgot a bunch.

A quick glance tells me that I forgot CSNY, and Gram Parsons...and who knows how many others if I really sat there trying to get them all down there in a post.