What can i do better?

I agree that would not be fun.

I had the gear shifter get stuck in 2nd one time. They tried to talk me through taking the shifter out and reinserting it. I couldn't do it. They wanted me to drive in 2nd to finish my route. I told them I didn't feel it would be safe for me to drive 25 mph on the highway. The center manager came out and fixed it while at the same time trying to explain how to fix it. I still can't do it to this day.
I worked as a mechanic (not for UPS) from 1967 to 1980, five of that as a fleet mechanic, so redoing the shifter isn't hard for me, but I doubt I could tell someone how to do it over the phone.

Tiny Panda

Our head mechanic is a top guy, unfortunately our older vans have a hard life and break quite often. Not normally the engine but other things, some minor, some that could result in a roadcall. In 9 and half years i've only had to be towed home twice. Once from a broken wheel bearing and the other from the air brakes locking up.
Other than that normally a phone call to the workshop and it is normally fixed or at least fixed to an extent that i can continue until one of them can get out to me.

Worst experience was coming down a hill into a village when the engine cut out, no power brakes or power steering, i managed to get round 3 turns and across a cross roads with no control before rolling to a stop. After 15 mins under the hood i found a splash guard that protects the electrics from water thrown up by the wheel had come loose, fallen on the road before being flicked up and jamming under the throttle linkage, i couldnt press the throttle so it eventually cut out. Transpired the starter motor had been replaced a few days previous by one of the younger mechanics and he hadnt secured the splash guard. Wasnt the rare occurance either

bad company

semi-pro
My mechanic is awesome. All major work gets done on Sunday, so I'm not stuck driving some POS. Any minor work does not get written up, and he gets to it when he can. I wish my supervisors were as dependable as my mechanic.

I've found over the years that; 1. Carrying a few tools and parts that commonly cause small problems will prevent a lot of BOR's, and 2. A box of chicken wings to your mechanic will get you 72 mph.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That makes for a long day. Try driving one for your last twenty stops and then a 40+ mile drive back to the ctr without a clutch. Pardner that is not fun.
Last time I had a clutch spring (I think-had no pedal anyway) give I parked the truck and made them come and get it. :surprised:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That makes for a long day. Try driving one for your last twenty stops and then a 40+ mile drive back to the ctr without a clutch. Pardner that is not fun.
Remember doing that except it was 3 rural stops and 25 miles back to the building. It scared me and I swore I'd never do it again.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I got into a shouting match once with the automotive supervisor, I had picked up a nail or screw or something in my front tire and it was going flat, so I pulled into a Les Schwab tire shop on my route to have them look at it. They showed me where it was poking into the sidewall, making the tire impossible to repair.

Well, the automotive sup didnt want to pay for a road call and he sure as hell didnt want to pay for a tire from a retail chain, so he told me to have them remove one of the dual wheels from the back and swap it onto the front. "You can drive with one flat tire in the back, just limp it home and we will take care of it tonight."

I refused to do this, saying it was unsafe. The thing could blow out and catch on fire, or throw chunks of rubber behind the truck at other vehicles. UPS makes $15 billion a year, they can afford $189.95 for a damn tire.

He kept yelling at me so I hung up, called my center manager, and told him that I was just going to sit there in the lobby of the tire shop making $45 an hour on overtime until they either sent me a new truck or approved the replacement of the tire. My center manager called the tire shop, gave them a credit card #, and 10 minutes later I was SAFELY back on the road.:smart:

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
You mean the swamp ass stink?
Well I think thats the name of the perfume I smell in most trucks. LOL

Worst experience was coming down a hill into a village when the engine cut out, no power brakes or power steering, i managed to get round 3 turns and across a cross roads with no control before rolling to a stop. After 15 mins under the hood i found a splash guard that protects the electrics from water thrown up by the wheel had come loose, fallen on the road before being flicked up and jamming under the throttle linkage, i couldn't press the throttle so it eventually cut out. Transpired the starter motor had been replaced a few days previous by one of the younger mechanics and he hadn't secured the splash guard. Wasn't the rare occurrence either. Rookies! LOL
Nice pants dude!
I've found over the years that; 1. Carrying a few tools and parts that commonly cause small problems will prevent a lot of BOR's, and 2. A box of chicken wings to your mechanic will get you 72 mph.
Just a coffee from Dunkins baby and your going 75 with me!

I got into a shouting match once with the automotive supervisor, I had picked up a nail or screw or something in my front tire and it was going flat, so I pulled into a Les Schwab tire shop on my route to have them look at it. They showed me where it was poking into the sidewall, making the tire impossible to repair.

Well, the automotive sup didn't want to pay for a road call and he sure as hell didn't want to pay for a tire from a retail chain, so he told me to have them remove one of the dual wheels from the back and swap it onto the front. "You can drive with one flat tire in the back, just limp it home and we will take care of it tonight."

I refused to do this, saying it was unsafe. The thing could blow out and catch on fire, or throw chunks of rubber behind the truck at other vehicles. UPS makes $15 billion a year, they can afford $189.95 for a damn tire.

He kept yelling at me so I hung up, called my center manager, and told him that I was just going to sit there in the lobby of the tire shop making $45 an hour on overtime until they either sent me a new truck or approved the replacement of the tire. My center manager called the tire shop, gave them a credit card #, and 10 minutes later I was SAFELY back on the road.:smart:
Man, automotive sups have the best ideas, obviously this guy could see into the future and know you weren't going to blow out on the road on the way back. You know, If I could predict the future I'd quit my job and sit at home and pick numbers all day long.:happy-very:

sano

Well this might hurt a bit ,but I was wondering what everyone thinks about their mechanic? what could he do better?
I'm always looking to do better and learn more, get to know my drivers and improve communication with them.
I just want to hear about what you guy's at the BC think?
Have any interesting comments, complaints, or stories about your mechanic, breakdowns you've had?
And what do you love/ hate about your package car?

As STUG has said to me in the past, " Think deep and splash it on paper " :its_all_good:

MFB, I have nothing to add except to say, What a great attitude!
If everyone in our company would honestly ask "What can I do better?" it would solve most of the issues people come to Brown Cafe to gripe about.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Well I think thats the name of the perfume I smell in most trucks. LOL

Nice pants dude!
Just a coffee from Dunkins baby and your going 75 with me!

Man, automotive sups have the best ideas, obviously this guy could see into the future and know you weren't going to blow out on the road on the way back. You know, If I could predict the future I'd quit my job and sit at home and pick numbers all day long.:happy-very:
Hey, if you ever get any good at this give all of us a heads up. We all can sit home and stay on BC all day long. :wink2:

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
MFB, I have nothing to add except to say, What a great attitude!
If everyone in our company would honestly ask "What can I do better?" it would solve most of the issues people come to Brown Cafe to gripe about.
Thank you!

Hey, if you ever get any good at this give all of us a heads up. We all can sit home and stay on BC all day long. :wink2:
I'll let you know if I perfect this picking of the numbers thing dill.:peaceful: