What do i do? studying starts september - Part time job.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How long before you make book? Let the sup know you plan to move to the outbound-Twilight.

watdaflock?

Become a PT Sup to pad your resume. UPS is not a place for the educated to have a career unless you go management or are lazy, which I am the latter.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
your posts sound very negative. you have failed without even trying?

you need to read a couple confidence inspiring books , my friend.

"The Magic Of Thinking Big."

"How To Win Friends And Influence People"

Piedmont gave you the best answer. nothing is impossible if you really want to do something.

HBGPreloader

1) Apply for tuition assistance.
2) Try to transfer to preload.
3) Schedule classes accordingly
4) Work for UPS for 4-6 years while attending college
5) Get a job in an engineering firm.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Hello everyone

Okay so my question to you all is this, I start my studying in September at my local college for 3 years in Mechanical Engineering, its a full time course, and at the moment I have a part time job, 10pm-3am so not the most ideal hours, I'm in training and haven't hit my target yet, I work at UPS as a secondary sorter and I'm not the most physical person in the world so I guess that explains it.But when September arrives, what do i do? do I give up the part time job and focus on my full time studying course (3-4 days a week) or try to handle them both? i don't think ill pass the training on the job so ill probably get let off after the 3 months probation ( Mid September)

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

p.s - The sorting requirements are 1200 pph and closest ive got is 1140 (brother timed me once and i hit 1200 but i dont theyll accept that ) so i dont think ill be at ups for long, also the online test is 1500pph, but do i need to do both the 1200 and 1500 tests? or can i pass on one?
Suck it up, learn to manage your time. do them both. Only one way to get ahead. And I did not read the rest of the thread, thats the answer.

J

jibbs

Build your class schedule around your part-time work schedule. It's not like high school. Most schools offer multiple classes for the same course per semester, specifically to attempt to meet the all the different time constraints that their student body might have.

It might be tricky, but it's even trickier going to school without any income other than Mom and Dad (I'm not talking :censored2:, I'm talking from experience.)

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Currently no.

What im trying to say is, is UPS worth giving up (even though i probably wont make it past training) for my education)

Because:-

A:- i might not pass training.
B:- The hours wont suit around college.
You can do both, you are just making excuses. You can change shifts, or just talk to management to figure something out. There are people out there who have it far worse and are making it perfectly fine.

SCV good to go sir.

I did both.

Working and going to school sucks but I wasn't really in a spot to leech off mommy and daddy. It took me a bit longer than it should have, my social life wasn't as "full" as some of the folks that didn't work but I made it happen.

I went to school during the day (typically 8:00/9:00 AM - 2:00 PM) and worked Twilight.

Quoted for truth. I did both as well except I started in preload and switched to twilight after a couple of years. I'll tell you right now that it's not going to be easy, but it's possible if you're willing to make some major sacrifices. Social life and sleep come to mind. It'll be rough at first but your body will acclimate.

And peak... Forget how bad you think it is now, you will understand what it means to go through hell. If you can get through that first peak of doing both, the spring semesters will seem like cake to you. And during the subsequent peaks, you'll have the affirmation that you've done it before, you can do it again.

In retrospect, even though I decided to become a driver, I'm glad I did both and got my degree. There's a huge sense of accomplishment in having gone to school while working at UPS. It's also very empowering knowing that you have options available to you because you put in the extra work. Your situation is different though and you may find yourself having to choose one or other. None of us can tell you what will be best or make you happy, just make sure you're willing to go the mile whichever path you take. Good luck dude.

DOK

Currently no.

What im trying to say is, is UPS worth giving up (even though i probably wont make it past training) for my education)

Because:-

A:- i might not pass training.
B:- The hours wont suit around college.

You think you'll have class at the same time as your shift? From 10pm to 3am?

J

jibbs

You think you'll have class at the same time as your shift? From 10pm to 3am?

....People put more time into school than simply attending class.

They're supposed to, at least.

A single inside shift leaves him plenty of time to work with, though. Just my opinion....