What do you do while on vacation

rod

Retired 22 years
Thanks for your service and sacrifice. Yea my friend just bought a diesel truck thinking that he would save on gas. With covid everyone wants to do outdoor vacations they can social distance.
They do have their pluses. Lots of torque for getting that camper to the top of the mountain first----if you are in a hurry :-). I've had a few instances with my gas pickup where I was "that guy" that had traffic backed up behind him going through the mountains but I always made it.

Last edited:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
So I almost went out of my mind last month on a one week vacation with nowhere to go.
Two week vacation coming up, and I may throw myself off a bridge.
Can't cruise.... Can't really travel...
Don't want to work on the house...

Any suggestions what I can do?
You want to come to my house and paint the living room ??
I'll buy us Dunkies!!

cachmeifucan

Ok so Yellowstone is to far to drive in a rv and to expensive for me so we just decided Washington DC. But my question is what is the best things to see. The Smithsonian and bible museum for sure but what else. Any advice on hoping everything is open by then.

old levi's

blank space
So I almost went out of my mind last month on a one week vacation with nowhere to go.
Two week vacation coming up, and I may throw myself off a bridge.
Can't cruise.... Can't really travel...
Don't want to work on the house...

Any suggestions what I can do?

Rent a cabin with a large stone fireplace, and a lakeview.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Ok so Yellowstone is to far to drive in a rv and to expensive for me so we just decided Washington DC. But my question is what is the best things to see. The Smithsonian and bible museum for sure but what else. Any advice on hoping everything is open by then.
How much time you got? Just visiting all the different Smithsonian Museums can take the better part of a week. Check out the Spy Museum if you get a chance, absolutely fascinating. Spend a least one day just wandering around the Mall checking out all the different memorials, Lincoln Memorial, Korean War, Vietnam, etc. All pretty powerful and will make you reflect on the sacrifices people have made for this country. Air and Space Museum is the most popular Smithsonian and where you're most likely to get stuck in a line so go there first thing on a Wednesday to beat the crowds.

If you get bored in DC you're doing it wrong.

cachmeifucan

How much time you got? Just visiting all the different Smithsonian Museums can take the better part of a week. Check out the Spy Museum if you get a chance, absolutely fascinating. Spend a least one day just wandering around the Mall checking out all the different memorials, Lincoln Memorial, Korean War, Vietnam, etc. All pretty powerful and will make you reflect on the sacrifices people have made for this country. Air and Space Museum is the most popular Smithsonian and where you're most likely to get stuck in a line so go there first thing on a Wednesday to beat the crowds.

If you get bored in DC you're doing it wrong.
Thank you and how many days maybe 4 or 5 and where should I stay?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Recreational weed

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Thank you and how many days maybe 4 or 5 and where should I stay?
Are you bringing the RV? If so I'm not sure cuz I'm not an RV guy, check the RV Facebook groups and see what they say. If you're staying in a hotel it's probably cheapest to stay in Virginia and take the metro into DC every day, but if money is no object find a hotel in DC that's within walking distance from the Mall. If you do stay in Va get a hotel room near Dulles Airport, there's a metro station there and you can also check out the Udvar Hazy center which is an extension of the Air and Space (but a lot less crowded) that also has an IMAX theater.

cachmeifucan

Are you bringing the RV? If so I'm not sure cuz I'm not an RV guy, check the RV Facebook groups and see what they say. If you're staying in a hotel it's probably cheapest to stay in Virginia and take the metro into DC every day, but if money is no object find a hotel in DC that's within walking distance from the Mall. If you do stay in Va get a hotel room near Dulles Airport, there's a metro station there and you can also check out the Udvar Hazy center which is an extension of the Air and Space (but a lot less crowded) that also has an IMAX theater.
Thanks so much all this will help. I don't think I'm taking a RV. I can't afford it. Plus I hate driving 55 mph

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Thanks so much all this will help. I don't think I'm taking a RV. I can't afford it. Plus I hate driving 55 mph
A guy I work with went to DC with his huge tribe of 7 kids and stayed at an Airbnb. They really liked that option. One of the best things about DC is many of the sights are free. Lots of good restaurants too.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Good Lord. You folks' idea of camping is just staying in a hotel with extra steps. Back in my day we walked a mile into the woods with framed rucks on our backs until we found the perfect spot. Set up the tent, gathered enough wood to get the fire through the next morning, and if you wanted your meal warm you'd cook it in a can over an open fire. All it cost us was the gas to meet up.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Good Lord. You folks' idea of camping is just staying in a hotel with extra steps. Back in my day we walked a mile into the woods with framed rucks on our backs until we found the perfect spot. Set up the tent, gathered enough wood to get the fire through the next morning, and if you wanted your meal warm you'd cook it in a can over an open fire. All it cost us was the gas to meet up.
A whole mile eh?