What does Memphis do about this?

!Retired!

Fired for sure. Can't get angry and assault people on the street in uniform. Stealing company time at the least, this will show on the gap report.
It happened 'around noon'. He could have been on lunch or paid 10 minute break.
Maybe you should research free speech and the legality of burning the flag.
The group did not have a permit from the Fire Department. Therefore, they were breaking the law.

bbsam

Staff member
The author of the article said that, not the FedEx guy. People ought to remember more than a million men and women have died carrying that flag while fighting white supremacists in both the southern U.S. and in Europe. It may be protected free speech, but that one protester said they were protesting things that happened in the past. When are they going to look to the future? And protected speech means they can't be arrested, jailed, and prosecuted for it. It doesn't mean those that disagree with it have to allow you to do it. If FedEx doesn't stand up for their guy in a situation like this then they have absolutely no integrity left. I remember years ago a UPS driver used his truck to pin a guy against a wall who was shooting others. UPS fired him for improperly using his truck even though he was hailed as a hero who saved lives. That a corporation would put their self interests above doing the right thing is despicable.
Corporations don't want to be in that spotlight. They don't want to make a stand one way or another. The easy way for the company is to fire him and release a simple press statement.

"FedEx does not condone violence by its employees in any format whatsoever and recognizes the rights of Americans everywhere to their Constitutional rights as defined by the Supreme Court."

It will be fine

It happened 'around noon'. He could have been on lunch or paid 10 minute break.

The group did not have a permit from the Fire Department. Therefore, they were breaking the law.
Even if you're on lunch you are still representing the brand while in uniform. I'm sure assault is frowned upon. He also discharged his fire extinguisher, which is supposed to be charged in his truck to be used in an emergency. He endangered himself and the public with his actions.

bbsam

Staff member
@muckduck

So you believe that we as representatives of FedEx should take it upon ourselves and the company to enforce what we believe is the the law?

Schweddy

Balls
I find it interesting how many "controversial" topics get locked on this forum and yet, you @bbsam post and comment about one of the most controversial issues in America. And for some time, like 100+ years. And much more intense lately with social media and young movements.

"Easy way out" is exactly right, especially considering the various US militaristic ideals Fred borrowed. How do we value "made in America" with our free Flag flown but not have a problem with people desecrating it instead of finding appropriate avenues of communication?

At what depth do the issues span regarding bad communication? Lack of leadership and mentoring on so many levels? Corporate and government greed on so many levels?

He will likely be fired, for many good reasons above, but I commend him for taking a stand. Albeit some of his energized actions and language. I'll assume he served in our military and devoted his life to protecting our freedom and our Flag. For that I am very grateful. How do companies say that they don't discriminate veterans? Do they truly follow the meaning of their service? "Thanks for protecting our flag, but here at home it really doesn't mean much and you cannot protect it in such situations."

Extremely long read, but interesting: The one in which I debated a law professor about flag burning

bbsam

Staff member
Not much of a law to enforce here regarding flag burning, is there?
Jackal said the protesters didn't have a permit. Of course the courier couldn't have known that.

But it's the same as dealing with strikes and picket lines. We don't cross them. Why? Because it's not our fight. We may as an individual or a company agree or disagree but that is beside the point. We don't put ourselves in the middle of a management/labor dispute.

Same thing here. I personally find flag burning stupid, immature and counterproductive. I understand the sentiment and at times agree with it but disagree with the expression. That doesn't give me the right to stop others from doing it.

I even respect the couriers decision to make the confrontation as long as he is willing to accept the consequences.

bbsam

Staff member
They didn't have a permit for burning in the city limits iirc.

I was once late on tax payments. The local sheriff didn't do a thing about it. Something about jurisdiction.

As a FedEx courier, a representative of the company, where does his law enforcement jurisdiction begin and end?

oldngray

nowhere special
I was once late on tax payments. The local sheriff didn't do a thing about it. Something about jurisdiction.

As a FedEx courier, a representative of the company, where does his law enforcement jurisdiction begin and end?

Citizens arrest?

Schweddy

Balls

Why would a sheriff do anything about you being "late" on a tax payment? I'm assuming 30-59 days?

Are you asking if a fedex courier has law enforcement jurisdiction?

OutOfTheKnow

Memphis response will be based on public reaction. If he is praised on Twitter, Facebook, etc., he will be held up as the ideal employee. If there is a public backlash, he will quickly become an ex-employee and Frontline example for the rest of us.
Nope, he's fired. Public opinion won't matter.