What does Memphis do about this?

bbsam

Staff member
Under the law they are protected from arrest, prosecution, and imprisonment. They aren't protected from another citizen extinguishing their fire. If a scuffle happened afterwards it'll be up to the law to sort that out. Fighting is no different than if all these champions of free speech were smashing windows. What gets me though is this constant provocation by those who claim to be against hate. Biggest haters out there. Hypocrites.
Do you even read what you write?

Of course they are protected BY the LAW from such actions of others. If not, KKK suppression of minority rights would be 100% legal and justified because, hey, they aren't the government.

vantexan

Do you even read what you write?

Of course they are protected BY the LAW from such actions of others. If not, KKK suppression of minority rights would be 100% legal and justified because, hey, they aren't the government.
B.S., they're protected from the gov't taking action against them. And where is this KKK bogeyman thing happening anyways? A very few idiots, just like a very few idiots calling themselves Black Panthers, who hate and demonize an entire race. You're always going to have people like this but the vast majority of people, conservative or liberal, recognize they're idiots who don't have any influence. Except of course those on the Left who scare minorities into thinking that conservatives are all this way(i.e. Joe Biden: "they're going to put you back in chains") so that they can get their vote. It's pathetic. We should be worried about getting good education and jobs in minority precincts instead of this constant three ring circus.

bbsam

Staff member
B.S., they're protected from the gov't taking action against them. And where is this KKK bogeyman thing happening anyways? A very few idiots, just like a very few idiots calling themselves Black Panthers, who hate and demonize an entire race. You're always going to have people like this but the vast majority of people, conservative or liberal, recognize they're idiots who don't have any influence. Except of course those on the Left who scare minorities into thinking that conservatives are all this way(i.e. Joe Biden: "they're going to put you back in chains") so that they can get their vote. It's pathetic. We should be worried about getting good education and jobs in minority precincts instead of this constant three ring circus.
No, van. You are blatantly wrong. No individual or group can infringe upon another's constitutional rights. To do so is to break the law. It's that simple.

I cannot lawfully walk into your house, lock you up in your bathroom, steal your south American travel money and leave you there to rot.

I cannot lawfully put a logging chain on a Catholic Church door to prevent people from entering.

I cannot lawfully tie a KKK member to his burning cross.

These are not just things that the government cannot do. They are laws to keep people's rights in tact--period.--exclamation point!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
So you are disagreeing with a statement you made in the previous sentence?

As a matter of fact, you and I are in agreement with your latter statement of disagreement with your initial erroneous declarative statement.

Styx - Best Of Times Lyrics | MetroLyrics
Erroneous statement? Nope.

I'm still disagreeing with this
Alternative headline: FedEx representative interferes with Constitutionally protected free speech because, "it pisses me off."

And this
You must be really working your ass off today.
And apparently it sailed right over your head earlier.

Crappy Styx song by the way. They have had better.

bbsam

Staff member
I feel like something is missing. Why are you so charged up about this @bbsam ?
I'm not. I'm a bit amazed at what seems to me to be complete lack of civics knowledge. It all seems very straightforward to me and yet many people see this guy as a "hero". So...what is it I'm missing?

bacha29

There is quite a bit of law involved in this matter, going from constitutional and bill of rights matters all the way down to whether an ordinance against outside burning inside city exists.So just let the constitutional scholars the cops , the fireman and Fedex management figure it out. If public opinion and the spin is favorable they might let the guy off with a letter or a short suspension. If the spin and PR is bad they'll they will quietly let him go but rest assured some high profile image sensitive conservative company will grab him up and and milk all the positive PR they can from his hiring.....PS. Probably at higher pay and benefits that are actually REAL benefits.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
A hero for squashing free speech? I don't like flag burning, but our right to do so is the essence of what it means to be an American.

He should be fired. I guess you want free speech to disappear?

No, just curtailed beyond all reason, like on liberal college campuses.

59 Dano

Please. Don't toss out technicalities to justify what this guy did. In Beijing or Moscow, you go to jail or worse if you burn their flag. Is that what you want here?

Constitutionally protected free speech. Just like Mike Pence participating in anti-abortion activities today.

No one is saying to jail the poor little snowflakes, but it is illegal in most cities to burn anything on a public street or sidewalk.

59 Dano

If he were my employee I would shake his hand for standing up for what he felt was right.

I would then terminate him.

I would chew his butt out for the liability aspect of it. If I had to fire him, I'd tell him that I was going to have to fire him and that he should look for another job. BUT FIRST... we would have to place him on a paid investigative suspension {WINK WINK} that would probably last a couple of weeks.