What does UPS do for drivers that die on the job?

Hi all,

Yesterday, Dylan Wall, a driver at my center was murdered while on the job.
Today, the corporate :censored2: that came to speak to us at PCM said something along the lines of "we'll see what we can do."
This was only AFTER one of the other drivers announced that we're setting up a GoFundMe to collect money for the wife
and son that Dylan left behind. So I'm wondering right now what happens with drivers that are murdered or otherwise
killed at work. What happened to Frank and his family back in 2019? I looked in the contract and didn't see anything
about death besides family leave.

Thanks

quad decade guy

I'd bet not much. I'd also bet it would be quietly done with perhaps non-disclosure terms. Union? Not much.

As far as employees doing something stupid and causing their own death? I could see the company suing their estate for costs and such.

I guess it would depend. Act of God stuff.........very nebulous. I think that would be the companies approach.

ManInBrown

Hi all,

Today, the corporate * that came to speak to us at PCM said something along the lines of "we'll see what we can do."
This was only AFTER one of the other drivers announced that we're setting up a GoFundMe to collect money for the wife
and son that Dylan left behind. So I'm wondering right now what happens with drivers that are murdered or otherwise
killed at work. What happened to Frank and his family back in 2019? I looked in the contract and didn't see anything

Thanks
Absolutely nothing. We are all just a number. They pass along condolences.

rod

Retired 22 years
The company usually sends flowers to the funeral home. The Teamsters--NOTHING. That was my experience with both my mom and dad.

rod

Retired 22 years
Hi all,

Today, the corporate * that came to speak to us at PCM said something along the lines of "we'll see what we can do."

Thanks
I'm curious as to what you think they should do? I know I never expected anything other than some time off. I was surprised the company even sent flowers and if I remember right my center manager even attended my moms funeral. Then again we were a small center.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Beyond condolences, I'm not sure what the company is supposed to do. Do people think they should pay a certain sum of money to the family?

I'm curious as to what you think they should do?
Pay out of an insurance policy. This is one of the most dangerous jobs in the USA, injury or even death on the job does not come as a surprise. The surviving family should be taken care of, but as far as I can tell, they're only entitled to around $100,000 in compensation through the life insurance and death and dismemberment policies. First responders are entitled to $365,670 for eligible deaths occurring on or after October 1, 2019 according to the Public Safety Officer's Benefits. Our job is more dangerous than theirs, and yet our families would be left with a pittance.

They act concerned then back to business. 1st lesson at UPS is that you can be replaced.
The corporate stooge they sent to speak to us at PCM didn't even try to act concerned.

rod

Retired 22 years
Pay out of an insurance policy. This is one of the most dangerous jobs in the USA, injury or even death on the job does not come as a surprise. The surviving family should be taken care of, but as far as I can tell, they're only entitled to around $100,000 in compensation through the life insurance and death and dismemberment policies. First responders are entitled to $365,670 for eligible deaths occurring on or after October 1, 2019 according to the
Wow--that has really increased since I worked. I remember it being like $10,000 max. I think if you lost a leg or hand it was like $3,000. So you are saying it should be more than a hundred thou?

GameCockFan

Under Teamcare you get 2080X your hourly wage, plus if it's an accidental death/dismemberment another 2080Xyou hourly wage. I'm sure some workers comp could kick in as well. (copy paste from the SPD)

Member Death 2080 hours x hourly wage to maximum of$100,000(minimumof$40,000) Accidental Death 2080hours x hourly wage to maximum of$100,000(minimumof$40,000) Spouse Death* $5,000 Child/Adult Child Death* $2,500 * Dependent Life Insurance Benefits are only payable on Covered Dependents. Total Permanent Disability (Waiver of Premium) $16,000

Accidental Death Benefit​

If you are eligible for a Life Insurance Benefit, the Accidental Death and Dismemberment Benefit is paid in addition to your Life Insurance Benefit to your chosen beneficiary or the beneficiaries in the order specified in your plan. This benefit is paid if you suffer a bodily injury or die because of an accident that occurs when you’re covered under TeamCare. See your plan for further details

With 22.4s
🧔✊
He was a 22.4.

Wow--that has really increased since I worked. I remember it being like $10,000 max. I think if you lost a leg or hand it was like $3,000. So you are saying it should be more than a hundred thou?
Yes, establishing a program along the lines of the PSOB seems reasonable to me.
Under Teamcare you get 2080X your hourly wage, plus if it's an accidental death/dismemberment another 2080Xyou hourly wage. I'm sure some workers comp could kick in as well. (copy paste from the SPD)

That's why I came up with my $100,000 number, as a 22.4 his rate was $27.14, multiplied by the 2080hrs, etc.
Taking an Amazon package up to a suburban front door is the most dangerous job in America? LOL. Snowflake.
One of the most dangerous, yes. 6th most dangerous according to BLS.

wilberforce15

I bet they tried for a long time to pretend the guy didn't even get killed.

Stuff like that usually reaches the ears of drivers from their customers, not from management.

GameCockFan

He was a 22.4.

Yes, establishing a program along the lines of the PSOB seems reasonable to me.

That's why I came up with my $100,000 number, as a 22.4 his rate was $27.14, multiplied by the 2080hrs, etc.

One of the most dangerous, yes. 6th most dangerous according to BLS.
If he was murdered or died in an accident he would get another $100K in addition to the life insurance

I bet they tried for a long time to pretend the guy didn't even get killed.

Stuff like that usually reaches the ears of drivers from their customers, not from management.
It happened yesterday and everyone was informed about it by the time we punched out. UPS didn't notify his wife, another driver did. Some of the sups were in tears. One large PCM about this morning. Not sure what they're going to do next.
If he was murdered or died in an accident he would get another $100K in addition to the life insurance

I'm reading it as the family gets another 2080hrs * $pay rate. That's up to a maximum of $100K, but since he was a new 22.4 his rate was only $27.14, and so the family will not be paid the $100K maximum.

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
must demand first aid kits and fbi jackets in the next contract.
do you not carry a your own first aide kit with you daily? i always have a trauma IFAK (individual first aide kit) and a general knicks and cuts kit(bandaides, etc etc.)
ifak includes everything to deal with multiple gunshots. it has quick clot, multiple turniquits, chest seal, compression bandages, gauze, nasel airway tube, chest decompression needle and a few other items.

learning materials are readily available.