What does UPS do for drivers that die on the job?

quad decade guy

There are a LOT of things he don't understand. :-)
To both you ****.......I understand perfectly. My view is different. I have insurance. Which has nothing to do with my statement. The driver was/is employed by UPS. He was in their EMPLOYMENT. His workplace/space is everywhere he goes. While working for UPS. He was murdered while on the clock. I don't see any difference there or on UPS property. I believe they(UPS) bare(s) responsibility.

You don't. Negligence and responsibility comes in many forms.

Last edited by a moderator:

quad decade guy

I'm sure they have something to cover these things, as others have pointed out. But only people who are not adults, the infirm, and fools rely on other people to take care of important things for them. I always make sure I have as much life insurance as I can reasonably afford, I think my family should be taken care of in the event of my untimely death, not wondering whether or not the company has it figured out.
Ok.

The point is: how much responsibility does UPS have? He was on the clock.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I thought we were insured only up to $40,000 if we were killed on the job, but that was a long time ago. I hope that amount has been increased. The last I read about this horrible occurrence was that Dylan Wall was ringing the doorbell after making a delivery at the house next door to the shooter. He was talking to somebody on his phone and all this was caught on a RING doorbell camera. The shooter just walked up to him and shot him for no reason. Thank you to his co-worker and friends with that GoFundMe page.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
To tell the truth the ONLY times we saw the union guys was when they would come around once a year to get everyone to sign up for D.R.I.V.E. and maybe IF someone had some opposition during an election vote. Our Locals meetings were always on a Thursday at 4:00 p.m. a 130 miles away so chances of making one of those was zilch.
I'm very lucky to have such a great local. It was terrible back in the 80's ( a great deal like you described your local) but for the past 20 years or so it's been very strong and supportive of the Members

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Ok.

The point is: how much responsibility does UPS have? He was on the clock.

I can't answer that. I think any company that prevents employees from being able to defend themselves, then doesn't provide necessary protection should be held criminally and civilly liable. But that's me, and I know the system Doesn't necessarily agree, so I have life insurance.

WTFm8

I'd bet not much. I'd also bet it would be quietly done with perhaps non-disclosure terms. Union? Not much.

As far as employees doing something stupid and causing their own death? I could see the company suing their estate for costs and such.

I guess it would depend. Act of God stuff.........very nebulous. I think that would be the companies approach.

Look into your Teamcare plan.

A8477FD9-ED9D-4AC8-93CD-8D127F0CD5FC.jpeg

quad decade guy

I can't answer that. I think any company that prevents employees from being able to defend themselves, then doesn't provide necessary protection should be held criminally and civilly liable. But that's me, and I know the system Doesn't necessarily agree, so I have life insurance.
That's me too. I have insurance also. I've had insurance on my kid since she was born. Wife too. My parents had insurance on me.

I think UPS is absolutely responsible.

But yet somehow, I'm excoriated and belittled for this view. Interesting how many wild assumptions and flat out lies are told about people here. People they don't know. It really makes them look petty and STUPID.

takesteady

Saying ‘Oh well, life is hard and you have to look after yourself and pull yourself by your boot straps’ is such a stupid cliche that can be used to dismiss any sort of calls for improvement. I’m sure people were saying that when UPS’s labor force first became organized.

The fact of the matter is that this man died while on the clock working for the company and without adequate means to defend himself. In my opinion, UPS has a moral obligation to adequately compensate his family.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That's me too. I have insurance also. I've had insurance on my kid since she was born. Wife too. My parents had insurance on me.

I think UPS is absolutely responsible.

But yet somehow, I'm excoriated and belittled for this view. Interesting how many wild assumptions and flat out lies are told about people here. People they don't know. It really makes them look petty and STUPID.

You just gotta roll with it. When you take stands for things you will upset people. Just like Ricky Nelson said, you can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself. Just try to have some fun with these knuckleheads, don't take it so personally.

quad decade guy

Again---how much is enough?
Ok. Fair enough.

So, how little is enough?

What is a life worth?

His life to his kid and wife?

Assuming you are/were married.....at your funeral after being murdered at work.....your wife just shrugs and says life is hard...oh well?

A bit harsh but....serious question.

I'll probably make another million before I retire. That will be significant to my wife.

Indecisi0n

Hi all,

Yesterday, Dylan Wall, a driver at my center was murdered while on the job.
Today, the corporate * that came to speak to us at PCM said something along the lines of "we'll see what we can do."
This was only AFTER one of the other drivers announced that we're setting up a GoFundMe to collect money for the wife
and son that Dylan left behind. So I'm wondering right now what happens with drivers that are murdered or otherwise
killed at work. What happened to Frank and his family back in 2019? I looked in the contract and didn't see anything
about death besides family leave.

Thanks
What do they do when a DIAD goes down....

quad decade guy

Saying ‘Oh well, life is hard and you have to look after yourself and pull yourself by your boot straps’ is such a stupid cliche that can be used to dismiss any sort of calls for improvement. I’m sure people were saying that when UPS’s labor force first became organized.

The fact of the matter is that this man died while on the clock working for the company and without adequate means to defend himself. In my opinion, UPS has a moral obligation to adequately compensate his family.
When the riots started with all the black crap, we were going coast to coast......right through these areas. Our plan was to if needed, drop our trailer to facilitate an escape. We had no real means of defending ourselves. I wasn't just going to "take it".

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

It happened yesterday and everyone was informed about it by the time we punched out. UPS didn't notify his wife, another driver did. Some of the sups were in tears. One large PCM about this morning. Not sure what they're going to do next.

I'm reading it as the family gets another 2080hrs * $pay rate. That's up to a maximum of $100K, but since he was a new 22.4 his rate was only $27.14, and so the family will not be paid the $100K maximum.
If I remember correctly I believe the spouse and dependents also get to stay on the health insurance for five years, I could be wrong.