What exactly happens with a part time 5 year vested pension? Is it worth it to get just a 5 year pension?

KTea

I'm a package handler and I have worked at UPS since Peak 2015, I recently graduated from university and got a day job and am trying to start a career. However, I am only 5 months and 400 hours away from getting my 5 years of 750.

Today I got in an argument with my FT Sup over a warning letter I was receiving for call-offs after A) No Verbal warning and B) a total of 4 call-offs in the past year. He is, for lack of a better term, an :censored2:. At some point during the conversation, all my contemplations of leaving over the years culminated into me putting in my two weeks and him telling me not to come back at all. My coworkers convinced me to talk to the hub manager to at least have the weekend to think about it. The hub manager looked at my attendance and officially rescinded the letter, and apologized for my treatment by my FT. However, I'm not sure if it's worth staying still or not.

Sorry for all the back story, to get to the point;

How would I go about finding how much of a pension I could get if I stayed working until January? And I was also reminded of the ability to cash it out, is there a way to find out the penalties on that? Is it worth it to stick it out the 5 months when I could be using my time for something more relevant to my future and that pays 2-3$ more, with its own pension opportunities?

I'm a package handler and I have worked at UPS since Peak 2015, I recently graduated from university and got a day job and am trying to start a career. However, I am only 5 months and 400 hours away from getting my 5 years of 750.

Today I got in an argument with my FT Sup over a warning letter I was receiving for call-offs after A) No Verbal warning and B) a total of 4 call-offs in the past year. He is, for lack of a better term, an :censored2:. At some point during the conversation, all my contemplations of leaving over the years culminated into me putting in my two weeks and him telling me not to come back at all. My coworkers convinced me to talk to the hub manager to at least have the weekend to think about it. The hub manager looked at my attendance and officially rescinded the letter, and apologized for my treatment by my FT. However, I'm not sure if it's worth staying still or not.

Sorry for all the back story, to get to the point;

How would I go about finding how much of a pension I could get if I stayed working until January? And I was also reminded of the ability to cash it out, is there a way to find out the penalties on that? Is it worth it to stick it out the 5 months when I could be using my time for something more relevant to my future and that pays 2-3$ more, with its own pension opportunities?
You get absolutely nothing if you don't stay for at least five years.

oldngray

nowhere special
Last I heard it was about 40 dollars/month per year of credit here. Kind like getting a little extra play money but not good for much else.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Article 34
The benefit formula in
the UPS Pension Plan for current or future part-time employees
who are participants will be increased solely for purposes of the
monthly accrued benefit, effective August 1, 2008 to sixty dollars
($60.00) for each year of future Credited Service to a maximum of
35 years of Credited Service.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right