What happens if you cannot pass dot physical and your a full time driver.

Dark_Team_135

You're thinking of Article 16. The language I quoted is Article 20, which explicitly excludes Article 16 situations. There is no One-Year-Or-Less restriction.

ARTICLE 20. EXAMINATION AND IDENTIFICATION FEES
Section 4. Disqualified Driver - Alternative Work
Except as provided for in Article 16, a driver who is judged medically unqualified to drive, but is considered physically fit and qualified to perform other inside jobs, will be afforded the opportunity to displace the least senior full-time or part-time inside employee at such work until he/she can return to his/her driving job unless otherwise provided for in the Supplements, Riders or Addenda. While performing the inside work, the driver will be paid the highest part time rate as an employee with equivalent seniority or current area practice. If no full-time inside position is available, the Employer will meet with the Local Union to develop a full-time position, if possible out of available work.

They used the part in bold I believe to say this language is only for temporary medical issues. If it is a permanent issue, they won't be returning to their driving job barring a medical miracle so they fall under ADA according to UPS. Our cases have been to panels and that was the interpretation of that language.

Our most recent case was a driver that broke his ankle on-the-job and because of some botched surgeries he had a 35% loss of use and couldn't climb into or out of a package car. After twenty years+ of service, they fired him because he could no longer perform his driving job. Union had given up on him but he got with the law firm that was suing UPS for the 100% release class action case and after a big meeting with a lot of attorneys in Chicago, he was given a porter's position. We have 10+ people in his same position but because they don't have and can't afford an attorney, they are still off of work, for some of them it has been years...

If anyone knows of a specific decision that says this language includes permanent injuries/illnesses please cite the case for me.

wheats

Article 20.sect 4. lower pay.and its not limited to only one yr. only limited if you had dui/drug prob. i know two drivers who doing this for 3 yrs,due to seizures and the meds they were on. call your union!

A

anonymous6

I am in my late 20s and I was given one because of ventricle tachardyia and atrial flutter. My first and only episode was on route I didn't pass out and drove myself to the hospital. I haven't had one since that day or ever before. But they did a study on my heart and determined that the wiring in my heart had jumped on a short circuit and caused the issues. And they recommend the icd. A choice that I am thrilled I made and Sadend at the same time Cause of the life changing implications of this device.

get a second opinion. sounds like a heart murmur. that wouldnt disqualify you.sorry , didnt realize you passed your physical. please don't beat me.

i'd still get a second opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

MobileBA

If your in the Western Conference I believe you have the ability to assume a full time-time combo job. I don't know what your seniority would be, but it would be full-time and a Western Teamster Pension.

Kis124

I am in my late 20s and I was given one because of ventricle tachardyia and atrial flutter. My first and only episode was on route I didn't pass out and drove myself to the hospital. I haven't had one since that day or ever before. But they did a study on my heart and determined that the wiring in my heart had jumped on a short circuit and caused the issues. And they recommend the icd. A choice that I am thrilled I made and Sadend at the same time Cause of the life changing implications of this device.

I suffer from chronic A-fib and have had 2 heart attacks because of it. My cardiologist put me on beta pace to control it. Did your Doc try meds first? I am headed for a defibrillator if the meds stop working

rocket man

Thanks guys for all the great info. I have a month old baby and I am freaking out as to how I'm going to support my family.
this post is (BS all theses new rules are coming down this person just wants to see his (post in the brown cafe all of the sudden this person needs a defibulater? the KEY WORD BEING FIB SPARE ME THE BS IF HE WAS WORRIED HE WOULDNT BE ASKING ON THIS HE WOULD HAVE THE ANSWER ALREADy.

barnyard

KTM rider
Look at the original posting date, there big fella.

The OP looked pretty much resolved when it was bumped a year later and now another year after that.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I always had the impression one couldn't be fired for medical disabilities because of protection from the ADA, that thecompany had to find work for them; otherwise, isn't it discrimination?

brown bomber

brown bomber
no work offered...no compromises made....I was forced to retire....Thank you ADA............perhaps the reason why. is because...my situation is not a "comp claim" any suggestions ??

A

anonymous6

sounds like a heart murmur to me. i'd go get checked up again and be requalified. go to another dr.