What happens when a Ground contractor loses his contracts?

bbsam

Staff member
Show us your numbers or one can only conclude that you're seeking to console yourself with the belief that your lower work loads is in balance with your lower pay.
You think my drivers work the same as UPS drivers? Dude. Put the weed down. Not even close.

bacha29

You think my drivers work the same as UPS drivers? Dude. Put the weed down. Not even close.
No numbers.......no belief in your claims.
Look I'm not condemning you. It's just that we both know that the settlements are based on an overall total driver compensation that is about at best 60% of what the average UPS driver makes. XG management told me that themselves. Therefore your hardest work of the day is succeeding at making somebody believe that your guys go out everyday with only half the load on that an UPS guy goes out with.

CookiePuss

Ground guy told me he worked 16 days straight 150-180 stops a day. He's a young dude..he says he can't get out from under the endless volume.

I believe it. Monday was my first day at my new job and I’m already less stressed out. I was working 6 days a week and I had to fight to have Sundays off. We had to fudge our hours of service almost every day so we didn’t run out of hours. I worked yesterday on half my old route, and it t was busier than I’ve ever seen it. I got 2 separate calls last week from the terminal (I told them they could call me directly years ago) asking about some 03 codes. I was at my other job on those days. They were using my employee number to log into the scanner for a driver that was short on hours! Something has to give. Ground is forcing the contractors to work their drivers to death.

CatMan

I believe it. Monday was my first day at my new job and I’m already less stressed out. I was working 6 days a week and I had to fight to have Sundays off. We had to fudge our hours of service almost every day so we didn’t run out of hours. I worked yesterday on half my old route, and it t was busier than I’ve ever seen it. I got 2 separate calls last week from the terminal (I told them they could call me directly years ago) asking about some 03 codes. I was at my other job on those days. They were using my employee number to log into the scanner for a driver that was short on hours! Something has to give. Ground is forcing the contractors to work their drivers to death.
You see! The teamsters would never allow that kind of stuff for their guys!

dmac1

Ground is forcing the contractors to work their drivers to death.

No they aren't. Contractors could hire more drivers, work split shifts, buy another vehicle, or a combination of the above. It is the contractor's choice to work you to death so he can make more money. Wise up!!!!!

CookiePuss

No they aren't. Contractors could hire more drivers, work split shifts, buy another vehicle, or a combination of the above. It is the contractor's choice to work you to death so he can make more money. Wise up!!!!!

Legitimate questions, not trying to start a ruckus:

Is the hiring process difficult? My contractor is supposedly having a hard time finding qualified drivers.

Do rural routes make less money? That’s the reason I was given for not getting a raise last year.

Like I said before, I’m only working some weekends now, but I have lots of friends that are still there. Most of them are in the same boat I was: can’t find another job that pays as much without a degree.

It will be fine

Legitimate questions, not trying to start a ruckus:

Is the hiring process difficult? My contractor is supposedly having a hard time finding qualified drivers.

Do rural routes make less money? That’s the reason I was given for not getting a raise last year.

Like I said before, I’m only working some weekends now, but I have lots of friends that are still there. Most of them are in the same boat I was: can’t find another job that pays as much without a degree.
The driver qualification process is not terrible if you have someone dedicated to doing it. If the contractor is trying to do it while driving full time it would be difficult.

Rural routes have higher costs but generate more revenue. I’ve never run rural routes long term so I can’t speak to their profitability.

Don’t let some folks here read about how a Ground driving job is sometimes the best pay a person can find. It’ll shatter their worldview of forced wage slave labor.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
They'll never be rich working for a ground contractor if that is all they do, even working 24/7/365
I do quite well.. 1 stop tomorrow, if I don't send someone else to do it. Since it's close to the terminal I might make $370/ hour for actual work

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
No numbers.......no belief in your claims.
Look I'm not condemning you. It's just that we both know that the settlements are based on an overall total driver compensation that is about at best 60% of what the average UPS driver makes. XG management told me that themselves. Therefore your hardest work of the day is succeeding at making somebody believe that your guys go out everyday with only half the load on that an UPS guy goes out with.
I was on a route my first year at Ground... one I ended up doing for 10 more, and the UPS guy had a supervisor ride going. The route was a box with strip malls on each side... normally 150 stops and 300 pkgs. UPS Guy, caught up to me and told me to slow down, I was making him look bad. In retrospect, the UPS Supervisor should have come to my truck and hired me. I'm tattoo free, and look like a businessman.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yeah,
Ground guy told me he worked 16 days straight 150-180 stops a day. He's a young dude..he says he can't get out from under the endless volume.

That's similar to what I experienced in my current terminal... I'm part of that 7 days/week group since I'm in a Ford transit rental vehicle; under 10,000 lb limit... so we can work past that 70 hours DOT limit.

My specific position is to help create/sort/preload bulk routes of oversized iC freight as part of the clean up crew of the 2nd AM dispatch. About 5 to 6 bulk routes of a 20 route belt line.

Then, I get to choose my own route to clean up. 70~120 stops daily on the average.

After creating and preload my own cargo I'll be at my first stop by 1400~ 1600.
Home by 2000 ~2200 but it's not back breaking work for me.

Basically, a BC or AO... but not with the official title

Last edited: