What have you seen people lose their jobs for? How to avoid being fired.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Years ago we had a peak driver who could not handle peak... he was always behind... then to "catch up" he would dump his last 40 stops or so into the woods and then come in... He was doing this for about 2 weeks when a customer saw him doing this and called our center... there were about a week's worth of route in the woods.[/QUOTE said:
Do you work at my center? I thought we were the only ones with the DR/the woods option!! LOL!!!

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
They wanted a fake lunch outta you is what it really is. They wanted you to put a half hour lunch in during the time you were running nda's. "GET THE BIG PICTURE". Tell them U pushed me out to run AIR when I was supposed to take lunch. Push on them the stroy u r saying to us and then ask him if a grievence from u might change his thoughts on that write up cause u were only working as directed. If they want our LUNCH at mid shift as I'm sure most of us would like then they need to give out the ability to do that but our dispatch doesn't allow it. Screw them. We know the reality of this place. Lunch at end of day is COMPLETE CRAP but they stick it to us with to many commercial stops that run in to pick up schedule and next then u know the lunch is at end of day.

Lunch @ end of day is not a lunch. It is a half hour no pay imprisonment, and a set up to skip/fake lunch to go home.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Especially since this actually would have made his On-Area MPH go up (in most cases). I use to get a big laugh at all the crazy things drivers use to do trying to increase their allowances.

I used to get a big laugh at all the crazy things that management did to try and increase the number of drivers that they could screw out of a lunch.

They tried it with me last week. My route got eliminated and they put me on a bulk industrial route with a pup trailer. They also eliminated the route next to that one, and simply crammed 40 business+10 NDA stops into my pup trailer over the top of the two bulk stops that were normally loaded in it. Some genius who had apparently taken one too many hits off of the crack pipe had deluded himself into thinking that I could (or would) miraculously deliver 11 hours worth of business stops and complete a 2 hour pickup route by 4:30. I got the NDA off, but the businesses sat in the trailer all day until they sent 3 other drivers over there to try and get them delivered after 5:00 at night. About half of them came back as missed. Bummer. But the important thing was that (a) we cut out enough routes to look good on the report and (b) I took my full lunch and breaks that day. And...the 20 missed stops that got rolled over into the next days dispatch meant that we could "justify" putting an additional route on the street. I guess its all part of the plan.:happy-very:

Backlasher

That's what they want. We all have to hear about "THE NUMBERS". I have some #'s for the lunch fakers.

Fulltimer gets what$29 hrly? and the half hour usually goes into overtime so that's $29x1.5=$43.5hrly.

Wanna see how much a driver looses inpay in a 25 yr career skipping/faking a lunch, Not including wage increases or interest if put into any number of savings account setups throughout remainder of said career.

$43.5 @ half hour=$21.7

$21.7x5 days=$108

$108x48 weeks=$5184 (52 week-4weeks vaca.)

$5184x25yr. career=$129,000

Take into account future raises, COLA, Savings account or other investment.

These numbers don't include the fake 2@ 10 minute breaks a driver might fake.

What would u do with $129,000+ maybe retire earlier, kids collage. By a vacation home in Florida?
To them who fake lunch for better NUMBERS or to go home early. You are rejecting $129,000+ dollars away and causing and enabling another route cut.

Why isn't what happened in Cali not national. Why don't all diads at all centers shut down and lock out for a real half hour lunch between 4th and 6th hour. Why does this half to be constantly a dispute. Every other 8= hour job out there is getting a mid shift lunch with few exceptions. No end of day dummy lunch. Routes with a mid shift lunch are getting fewer. The ones that have them will be gone when those drivers retire and management flips that route around before the next bid takes hold. They'll have a cover guy blow the route up to justify their NUMBERS.

How do ya like the numbers now?
The Dummy LUNCH, write that name down in stone for upsers.

This post is intended for the Dummy lunchers out there. Yea, do it to hit scratch and qualify but don't ever do it again knuckleheads. You screw the rest of us with a Fake sporh that they want us to perform.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I used to get a big laugh at all the crazy things that management did to try and increase the number of drivers that they could screw out of a lunch.

They tried it with me last week. My route got eliminated and they put me on a bulk industrial route with a pup trailer. They also eliminated the route next to that one, and simply crammed 40 business+10 NDA stops into my pup trailer over the top of the two bulk stops that were normally loaded in it. Some genius who had apparently taken one too many hits off of the crack pipe had deluded himself into thinking that I could (or would) miraculously deliver 11 hours worth of business stops and complete a 2 hour pickup route by 4:30. I got the NDA off, but the businesses sat in the trailer all day until they sent 3 other drivers over there to try and get them delivered after 5:00 at night. About half of them came back as missed. Bummer. But the important thing was that (a) we cut out enough routes to look good on the report and (b) I took my full lunch and breaks that day. And...the 20 missed stops that got rolled over into the next days dispatch meant that we could "justify" putting an additional route on the street. I guess its all part of the plan.:happy-very:

I guess it is all part of a bigger plan.

And by the way, I also use to get a laugh at how much shoe polish drivers and management would put on their shoes.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Lunch @ end of day is not a lunch. It is a half hour no pay imprisonment, and a set up to skip/fake lunch to go home.

It takes a special kind of determination and courage to pull the truck over at noon for a full and uninterrupted lunch break when you know that to do so means that you will be bringing business stops back as missed.

Its not something I enjoy doing, but unfortunately its a boundary that must be drawn sometimes. If you knuckle under...even once...then you might as well be loaning a heroin addict $50 and expecting to get it back. You wont get it back, and the next day they will be hitting you up again.

My building has been in operation for 25 years. In that time they have run over 6,500 complete preload and dispatch operations for the areas that we service. The bottom line is that there arent any secrets left. Management has all of the information and data that they need to make the correct dispatch decisions for the work. They simply lack the wisdom or the willingess to make those decisions. So unfortunately, it often falls to us to be the messenger of the bad news that whatever half-assed plan they came up with to cut routes is going to fail. I dont enjoy being that messenger, but I do it anyway for my own good as well as the long term good of the customers and the company. Its called "tough love" and its just as tough on me as it is on them.

Last edited:

Backlasher

Happy Fathers day everyone. I'm gonna shake this dummy Lunch outta my mind cause it burns me up and go hang with my kids. UPS got enough of my time last week and I need this time with them.

P.S. SCREW THE DUMMY LUNCH

Backlasher

It takes a special kind of determination and courage to pull the truck over at noon for a full and uninterrupted lunch break when you know that to do so means that you will be bringing business stops back as missed.

Its not something I enjoy doing, but unfortunately its a boundary that we must draw sometimes. If you knuckle under...even once...then you might as well be loaning a heroin addict $50 and expecting to get it back. You wont get it back, and the next day they will be hitting you up again.

My building has been in operation for 25 years. In that time they have run over 6,500 complete preload and dispatch operations for the areas that we service. The bottom line is that there arent any secrets left. Management has all of the information and data that they need to make the correct dispatch decisions for the work. They simply lack the wisdom or the willingess to make those decisions. So unfortunately, it often falls to us to be the messenger of the bad news that whatever half-assed plan they came up with to cut routes is going to fail. I dont enjoy being that messenger, but I do it anyway for my own good as well as the long term good of the customers and the company. Its called "tough love" and its just as tough on me as it is on them.

It's a burden that I dispise so much and a bad trap to clock out to go home to family. I hate it.

It's hard to argue against it when routes get screwed by previous drivers taken fake lunch and breaks causing a numbers trend on said route that no one can seem to bet.

iamhuge

Banned
We had a feeder driver fired for having an affair with a preachers wife. He would skip his meal break and meet her at a gravel pit on his way back to the center. If you believed his stories he had many affairs while at UPS. ------- P.S. he is still married to the same women he always was and she worships the ground he walks on. ----go figure. Last I heard he was still cheating on her.
Does a preachers wife make it worse?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I always get a big kick out of a newly promoted manager who is gun hoe and thinks he is going to change the world.
WIthout going into too much detail, we have a newly promoted one who is trying to change the world. He is older though (mid 50s) so it will probably be short lived.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
WIthout going into too much detail, we have a newly promoted one who is trying to change the world. He is older though (mid 50s) so it will probably be short lived.
Or he will be, 50s is not a good age to try to change the world. Not at UPS anyway, he will blow a valve.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Or he will be, 50s is not a good age to try to change the world. Not at UPS anyway, he will blow a valve.
Not to be morbid but I was thinking this too. :angry: He is not one of those high-strung types so maybe he will make it.

I thought they had to be out by 55?
right on...lol

I guess they figured they weren't losing him yet but he is almost at the finish line, so go out with a bang? :( Or as Griff says "pump and dump" lol