What is a FT cover driver?

Overpaid Union Thug

I'll have to work in the building doing what? loll

Depends on your building. Mine only has two shifts that are separated by 10 hours so it can be a pain in the ass. It's extremely rare for that to happen here anyway. Usually drivers are asked if they want a day off from top to bottom of the seniority list so the bottom third of the list is practically guaranteed to have a seat. Having said that....I've seen everyone in the top two thirds of the list refuse the day off and whoever is left standing with no route were given the option of running air in the morning in combination with something else in the afternoon (like PM air pickups or working the night shift) or taking a layoff or option day.

FilingBluesFL

I'm a FT "cover driver."

There's just some people on routes that I couldn't deal with seeing 5 days a week.

Like, if I had to see someone like UPSTATE every day, I'd shoot myself.

novadriver

Depends on your building. Mine only has two shifts that are separated by 10 hours so it can be a pain in the ass. It's extremely rare for that to happen here anyway. Usually drivers are asked if they want a day off from top to bottom of the seniority list so the bottom third of the list is practically guaranteed to have a seat. Having said that....I've seen everyone in the top two thirds of the list refuse the day off and whoever is left standing with no route were given the option of running air in the morning in combination with something else in the afternoon like PM air pickups or working the night shift.
I guess i'll just have to play it by ear, i figured this was to good to be true... id rather drive rather then load an unload, i hate sitting still, in a sense.

PT Car Washer

You mean loading and unloading trucks?
Trucks or trailers. Or you can have the day off. You can work 2 or 3 days a week and still have a decent check. Just don't go out and buy that new house or truck yet. I know drivers that could have their own route but choose to be a cover driver for the variety. You only go out blind the first day.

So i was riding along with my training sup and he says that ill be a ft cover driver after i qualify, but i have no idea wtf that means. I read other posts on here about CD's but still dont really understand.

Someone enlighten me? Does this mean I won't be working unless someone is sick?
Utility driver/swing driver. If you're full time you're full time.