What is a FT cover driver?

novadriver

So i was riding along with my training sup and he says that ill be a ft cover driver after i qualify, but i have no idea wtf that means. I read other posts on here about CD's but still dont really understand.

Someone enlighten me? Does this mean I won't be working unless someone is sick?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Sounds like what we call a swing driver. A FT guarantee driver that covers any route as needed. A non bid FT driver that doesn't have enough senority/chooses not to have a a route.

novadriver

I was hoping to get my own route but i guess they probably already have the routes spoken for. I'll just enjoy my training route for now i guess, then take it from there.

CHALLY9TX

Like Dave said, you are guaranteed your 8 hours. Depending where you work at you won't get your own route for a couple of years.

Sent using BrownCafe App

novadriver

Like Dave said, you are guaranteed your 8 hours. Depending where you work at you won't get your own route for a couple of years.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Thats kind of scary but as long as they understand ive never run the route and do not know the addresses, and they are paying me i wont complain lol

CHALLY9TX

Thats kind of scary but as long as they understand ive never run the route and do not know the addresses, and they are paying me i wont complain lol

Depends on how your center runs things. My center babies the new guys too much. My advice is to learn as many routes as possible that way you get a feel for different areas (industrial/commercial/rural/city/resi). Don't be afraid to ask the other drivers for advice on how to run the routes you're on. Work safely. You will have bad days but keep your head up. I was a horrible driver my first year and then something just clicked and I was able to run any route they threw at me even in other centers.

Sent using BrownCafe App

novadriver

Depends on how your center runs things. My center babies the new guys too much. My advice is to learn as many routes as possible that way you get a feel for different areas (industrial/commercial/rural/city/resi). Don't be afraid to ask the other drivers for advice on how to run the routes you're on. Work safely. You will have bad days but keep your head up. I was a horrible driver my first year and then something just clicked and I was able to run any route they threw at me even in other centers.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Thanks

Brown stains

I laugh when our FT bid cover driver throws a fit when they send him out blind.

Resident know-it-all.
Lol ...it sucks being a cover driver never know what your doing until 10 minutes before start time and 80% of the time it's on the blind... Just you and a map..then you get the light of death on your Diad ..need you to go help joe blow or do a air/ground meet
I always respond I am in new area and have now clue where I am or where I am going ..WOUNT make air car myself sorry can't help

UPSGUY72

So i'll probably be on different routes all the time?

Not every day some weeks you could run the same route everyday other weeks you could run 5 different routes. Some of those routes might be splits 99 percent house call days..... FT time cover isn't that bad at least you know that your not going to have a crappy route everyday and your'll learn which routes are good or not so good. So you won't be bidding a route on the blind... Also as a FT cover they expect a little less out of you as you not on the routes you cover everyday.... But than again I know 20 + of those 53 routes and can scratch everyone...

In the center I'm in of 53 + routes on a given day this last bid 3 of the worst routes went to brand new drivers by default... There are FT cover drivers with 10 plus years that aren't bidding a crappy route just to have one...

Overpaid Union Thug

The new Southern Region Agreement is supposed to eliminate some of the running a different route every day nonsense. In February ALL routes are supposed to be bid. No one knows exactly how many of the junk routes that are only in 3,4 days a week will be bid but I'm hoping to get me one of them. This 10 guys waiting on that one that shows up 30 seconds before start time to chose a route nonsense has gotten old for everyone involved.