What is a FT cover driver?

PT Car Washer

Fixed for you. bi-annual is twice a year.

I can't imagine having to bid or default to a terrible route for life.
It is not for life. Only until another route comes up for bid and you have the seniority to win it. Not much difference between a good route and a bad route anyway.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
In feeders they bid routes every year but us package dogs keep our routes until we give them up. I have had my route for almost 20 years.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I'm a low seniority FT driver. With my center being small, I'll text whoever is doing staffing the night before. If I'm not on, I'll just come in to preload and local sort to get my 8 (at FT driver pay). Our preload is not fully staffed. They've actually been relying on us low rung drivers to load, because we can't seem to hang on to new preloaders.

BrownTexas

The new Southern Region Agreement is supposed to eliminate some of the running a different route every day nonsense. In February ALL routes are supposed to be bid. No one knows exactly how many of the junk routes that are only in 3,4 days a week will be bid but I'm hoping to get me one of them. This 10 guys waiting on that one that shows up 30 seconds before start time to chose a route nonsense has gotten old for everyone involved.
The route had to be in for 30 consecutive days to be a bid route. Which means all the random put together routes will still be unassigned.

brownrod

Nope---doesn't matter. FT always trumps PT.

Are you sure?

yep. it's not NMA. that's a regional thing. we get laid off with no work unless they need people on the pt shifts. And lay off goes day by day. you know 1 hour before your start time if you are working that day.

BrownTexas

Full time driver with no bid route.
In my center you bid routes for life or abandon or bid onto a new route.

We have about 50 routes. At least 15 drivers without bid routes. And at least 10 routes per day that have no bid driver because they are split routes, junk routes, shuttles, etc...

5 years seniority to get a route that no one wants that absolutely sucks.
10-15 years seniority to get an OK route.
20-30 years seniority to get a nice rural route bid.

I know over 30 routes. Some guys get stuck on the same few routes because they suck so bad at learning new routes that we aren't allowed to use seniority to bump them (work as directed).
If they don't allow you to bump, file a seniority grievance. It is an unpaid grievance unless he works longer than you that day then you get paid the difference. The reason it isnt always a paid grievance is because no one files. So the union has no way to have proof that seniority is being violated so they can never get it into the contract as paid like 9.5s are.