What is a FT cover driver?

UPSGUY72

Guaranteed 8 but might have to work in the building to get it. My first couple of weeks as a full-time driver I worked in the building three days to get my 8.

I'm my area you are guaranteed 8 hrs as a FT driver driver rate not 8 working back inside the building. In order for you to work 8 hr inside you would have to get laid off as a FT driver then you would get 8 hrs most likely 4 on the preload and 4 on the local sort at the rate you would have been at if you never went FT.

No, not guaranteed, will be the first to be laid off.

You are guaranteed 8 hrs a day at driver pay. IF they lay you off you have option of working back inside at what ever you inside rate would have been if you never went Ft or take the lay off and collect or both work at a reduced rate and collect.

Also they can't pick and choose when they want to lay you off meaning they can have a emergency one day layoff but it can't be Monday then again on Wednesday.

In most building the only time they lay off driver is after the first of the year when volome sometimes fall off drastically and they can't get enough driver to take days....

novadriver

I'm my area you are guaranteed 8 hrs as a FT driver driver rate not 8 working back inside the building. In order for you to work 8 hr inside you would have to get laid off as a FT driver then you would get 8 hrs most likely 4 on the preload and 4 on the local sort at the rate you would have been at if you never went FT.

You are guaranteed 8 hrs a day at driver pay. IF they lay you off you have option of working back inside at what ever you inside rate would have been if you never went Ft or take the lay off and collect or both work at a reduced rate and collect.

Also they can't pick and choose when they want to lay you off meaning they can have a emergency one day layoff but it can't be Monday then again on Wednesday.

In most building the only time they lay off driver is after the first of the year when volome sometimes fall off drastically and they can't get enough driver to take days....

I never worked inside the building, ima off the street hire. I just hope i make the 30 days so i can join the union.

Overpaid Union Thug

In the Southern Region was have to be laid off more than seven consecutive days inside before we lose our driver pay and are switched to the inside rate. I'd hate to be an off the street hire and that happen. They'd be making $10 or $11/hr. I actually pulled my last inside pay rate out of some cobwebs in an abandoned section of my brain and figured out what I'd be making inside now were I to be laid off more than seven days or if I had stayed part-time. $21.22/hr. :)

UPSGUY72

In the Southern Region was have to be laid off more than seven consecutive days inside before we lose our driver pay and are switched to the inside rate. I'd hate to be an off the street hire and that happen. They'd be making $10 or $11/hr. I actually pulled my last inside pay rate out of some cobwebs in an abandoned section of my brain and figured out what I'd be making inside now were I to be laid off more than seven days or if I had stayed part-time. $21.22/hr. :)

In Mass if they lay you off you don't have to take a job making less than what you made before you got laid off. So technically you could just take the lay off and collect and I now some driver that have. However, you also can make up to 1/3 of what you collecting before it effects the amount your collecting so when I got laid off I worked one 4 hour shift a day and collected...

FilingBluesFL

Just don't forget...

The easiest way to make up for being laid off and working in the building, is seeing

ALLLLLLL THOSE SUPERVISORS WORKING!

I'M GONNA NEED A GRIEVANCE FORM OVER HERE!!!!!!

Easily makes up for what you're not making ;) ;) ;)

brownrod

Like Dave said, you are guaranteed your 8 hours. Depending where you work at you won't get your own route for a couple of years.

Full time driver with no bid route.
In my center you bid routes for life or abandon or bid onto a new route.

We have about 50 routes. At least 15 drivers without bid routes. And at least 10 routes per day that have no bid driver because they are split routes, junk routes, shuttles, etc...

5 years seniority to get a route that no one wants that absolutely sucks.
10-15 years seniority to get an OK route.
20-30 years seniority to get a nice rural route bid.

I know over 30 routes. Some guys get stuck on the same few routes because they suck so bad at learning new routes that we aren't allowed to use seniority to bump them (work as directed).

We have about 50 routes. At least 15 drivers without bid routes. And at least 10 routes per day that have no bid driver because they are split routes, junk routes, shuttles, etc...

I know over 30 routes. Some guys get stuck on the same few routes because they suck so bad at learning new routes that we aren't allowed to use seniority to bump them (work as directed).
That is a really good description of a cover drivers life.

brownrod

No, not guaranteed, will be the first to be laid off.

WA driver here too. lay off goes by seniority. some of our lowest senior driver's have bid routes that the 5-10 year cover drivers won't bid. So we have bid drivers who will be laid off before high seniority full time cover drivers.

UPSGUY72

In my area of 3 building and 4 centers. All feeder, FT preload, FT Driver and 22.3 jobs go out to bid every two years. If you biding into a FT driver position you can bid a specific route or a cover position... You can bid into any center center if you have enough seniority to win the bid... Also when a Position opens it goes in one center in between the biennial bid it gets posted in every center so anyone can bid on it.

brownrod

All of your sorts are fully staffed everyday? That never happens in my building.

I have no idea. We have two part time shifts. preload has a lot of people and the evening sort doesn't have many people at all. It's been a long time since I've been laid off. Back then I never worked any part time shifts. I was just laid off. Would know 1 hour before start time if they had work that day.

In my area of 3 building and 4 centers. All feeder, FT preload, FT Driver and 22.3 jobs go out to bid every two years. If you biding into a FT driver position you can bid a specific route or a cover position... You can bid into any center center if you have enough seniority to win the bid... Also when a Position opens it goes in one center in between the biennial bid it gets posted in every center so anyone can bid on it.
Sounds like a nightmare having to retrain everyone every two years. I can see the advantage of changing jobs every two years if you do not like your job or management.

BrownArmy

I'm in MA also, this is the same in my area.

The bids used to be annual where I am, which sounds like a nightmare. At some point it was changed to bi-annual.

Bidding for life seems like it would come with it's own set of problems...

UPSGUY72

Sounds like a nightmare having to retrain everyone every two years. I can see the advantage of changing jobs every two years if you do not like your job or management.

Not really 99 percent of the top seniority drivers bid there same routes and those drivers that bid different routes and have been driving for a while don't need more than a day or two to learn a new routes sometime they don't need any training if they have done the route before as a cover driver. The only people that need a lot of training are the new drivers.

UPSGUY72

I'm in MA also, this is the same in my area.

The bids used to be annual where I am, which sounds like a nightmare. At some point it was changed to bi-ennual.

Bidding for life seems like it would come with it's own set of problems...

Fixed for you. bi-annual is twice a year.

I can't imagine having to bid or default to a terrible route for life.