What is considered harassment by supervisors?

What'dyabringmetoday???

This is why there are such great relations between unions & management & vice versa.

Everybody, on both sides, knows that the person can't perform and should not even be employed, but damn all that, I'm union, I'll fight to keep the job I am unqualified to do. Why? Because I can.

It is exactly the same as people sueing ladder companies when they fall off a ladder, or sue McDonalds when they get burnt spilling coffe on thier crotch. They want something for nothing, and take no personal responsibility. I am OWED this. Bull. You fall off a ladder or spill your coffee on your privates, just admit you are clumsey or stupid & move on.

If you clearly cannot do a job, get a job that you can do, elsewhere. I personally would be embarassed to file a grievance for this.

Punt.
When I grow up, I want to be like you.:smart:

ups_vette

and the company can't change your pay to reflect the work you do, so what does it matter?

Mike, Mike, Mike, tisk, tisk tisk! How little ye know of UPS and the 30% of all drivers who work under the Bonus System. Try telling a driver who makes an hour a day of bonus that "the company can't change your pay to reflect the work you do."

drewed

Shankman
Thank God that the above statement is only one management persons deluded fantasy and not the reality.

The company's interpretation of what constitutes a "fair days work" is, at best, an educated guess and at worst a deliberate, cynical attempt to intimidate its employees into taking unsafe shotcuts and working off of the clock in a desperate attempt to meet an impossible "standard."

I shudder to think of what life at UPS would be like if the idiots from I.E. who do our so-called "time studies" were actually allowed to define what constitutes a "fair day."

how does UPS number? you guys make it sound like UPS pulls random numbers out of their arsse an tells you to make them....no UPS makes number based on someone somehwere could do those numbers on a consistent basis

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The Employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise any employee in the performance of his or her duties.

while posted in black and white, it is very open to interpretation as to what is or is not harassment etc.

in the posters case, yes, the sup spent time supervising. that is what they get paid to do. not only this clown, but the others as well. now, if i am supervising a group, how can this clown claim harassment, and the others not? simple. the sup was doing his job, and instead of trying to become better, i go running and sobbing a story about how they are harassing me? sorry. dont buy into it. and cant believe you are.

and the steward on site, someone with actual knowledge of what is going on, instead of the victimized one sided report given here, he says there is no basis for a grievance, but yet you claim there is?

you pullin my leg!

like i said, this job is not for everyone

d

Mike Hawk

Mike, Mike, Mike, tisk, tisk tisk! How little ye know of UPS and the 30% of all drivers who work under the Bonus System. Try telling a driver who makes an hour a day of bonus that "the company can't change your pay to reflect the work you do."
I was referring to changing pay in a negative way to reflect less work being done.
I wonder how many drivers on bonus systems actually make bonus because they did more than a fair days work, and how many just have a good time study?

sx2700

Banned
they really should point this out during the interview, not only can it be a taxing job, ups also has its own sub culture that its hard for an outsider to see and hard for a new person to get use too

It was pointed out in my interview. The guy flat out told me...."The job sucks, it is hard physical work, the hours suck, the pay sucks, it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter, etc.......Now, do you want the job?" And stupid me said yes.

drewed

Shankman
I was referring to changing pay in a negative way to reflect less work being done.
I wonder how many drivers on bonus systems actually make bonus because they did more than a fair days work, and how many just have a good time study?

theres still the question of a fair days work?
is it the maximum of ones abilities?
or is it just good enough to keep my job?

id be more than happy to pay them a fairs day work if they did the maximum of their abilities (or close to) and can i pay them more if they do maximum?

can i pay them less if they just want to skid by? just do enough to keep their job?

no i cant, so the answer to the question is maybe not quite maximum but a hell of a lot closer to maximum then skidding by.

in my exp hurrying leads to less injury, bc you become complacent if things are just jugging along. if your hurrying you have to be aware, you have to keep your eyese moving to keep track of whats going on. i

drewed

Shankman
It was pointed out in my interview. The guy flat out told me...."The job sucks, it is hard physical work, the hours suck, the pay sucks, it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter, etc.......Now, do you want the job?" And stupid me said yes.

and did you get a job description, saying what the standard of work is?

sx2700

Banned
and did you get a job description, saying what the standard of work is?

The standard of work is a common sense issue. It is obvious to everybody who the slackers are and I'll never understand why the union is so adamant about defending them.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
But I have a feeling you already know this. You probably just wanted to argue. You know as well as I, UPS decides productivity, no one else. OTHERS can FIGHT it, but it is what it is.

UPS is free to place whatever expectations it wishes upon me. If those expectations are realistic, I will live up to them. If they aren't realistic...then I wont.

I have done routes where bonus could be made while working safely and taking a lunch. I have also done routes with allowances that were so absurd that anything better than two hours overallowed was physically impossible.

I have shown up in the morning and been confronted by a supervisor holding a termination letter in his hand who told me that he would have my job if I failed to run a "scratch" day.

I didn't run a "scratch day"....and I'm still here.:happy-very:

I work in the real world. Sometimes my management chooses to join me there. Other times, they dont. I get paid the same either way. It is what it is.

dillweed

theres still the question of a fair days work?
is it the maximum of ones abilities?
or is it just good enough to keep my job?

id be more than happy to pay them a fairs day work if they did the maximum of their abilities (or close to) and can i pay them more if they do maximum?

can i pay them less if they just want to skid by? just do enough to keep their job?

no i cant, so the answer to the question is maybe not quite maximum but a hell of a lot closer to maximum then skidding by.

in my exp hurrying leads to less injury, bc you become complacent if things are just jugging along. if your hurrying you have to be aware, you have to keep your eyese moving to keep track of whats going on. i

Oh dear, drewed, they have really sucked the soul out of you, haven't they? You will never be able to make the call on what is the max of another person's ability. No matter how far up the ladder you crawl or how many people you take down on the way, you will never be qualified to make the call on that.
Hurrying leads to less injury? :whiteflag:

What'dyabringmetoday???

Many try, few succeed
If you are such an advanced worker and so well versed on all the ways of UPS, and the world for that matter, why are you employed at a part-time position?? Surely your skills could be put to much better use than the movement of boxes and such. Of course, nobody really knows if you work at UPS or if you have fabricated all of your stories after reading about UPS on the internet. Keep up the good work.

hyena

Well I can see most of you side with my supervisor. I can't really be mad at any of you, I know of some people in my building that flat out refuse to work and not get punished.
I deffinitly do not side with your supervisor he has no right to try and belittle you! He does think that he has all the power in the world and that he can get away with treating you this way!The way I see it is most people in management were picked on as kids and when they get to be a manager they hide behind this position. File the article 37 I bet you it changes things.It might be a battle, he will still try little things and everytime he does call him out on it and file!
I've already admitted that I'm slow at the job and was moved two times, but whatever they want me to do I do, and I'm certainly not going slower just to spite them, I don't have time for that.
As long as you know you are doing your best and you are trying then thats all that matters. Thats how I interpret a fair days pay for a fair days work. Give it your best plain and simple. If they dont like it to bad your doing what you can!
I've only been on the job 4 months, I haven't started anything with anyone, and I don't see why it is that I deserve to be screamed at just because I'm not performing to their standards, especially since I wasn't brought in as a PAS in the first place.
You do not deserve to be screamed at your trying your best!
But I think I see what you guys are saying, which is not to cry to the union just yet. I'll stop by his office tonight when I get in and try to explain my view.
Do not ever say its crying when you go to the Union! People in my building say the same thing this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. The Union is here to protect you. Management wants you to think that its crying and whining when you go to the Union so they can walk on you! Do not believe this that is why the Union is there to protect the workers from the unfair practices that management trys to get away with ! Go to your steward tell him what is wrong if he dont fix it go to your local president. Do not let this sup get away with it because he will continue to do it to others!

drewed

Shankman
Oh dear, drewed, they have really sucked the soul out of you, haven't they? You will never be able to make the call on what is the max of another person's ability. No matter how far up the ladder you crawl or how many people you take down on the way, you will never be qualified to make the call on that.
Hurrying leads to less injury? :whiteflag:

Id never ask someone to do max 100% of the time, there are times where max is needed. Yea i know i cant determine what someones max is but there should be a progression of ones abilities, they get faster less misloads type thing. They should at somepoint plateau on their abilities and that should be their standard of work. in this guys case you really cant argue the standard of work because he hasnt had enough time in any of his positions to determine one.

On a side question to the OP, have you thought about doing responder?
its really methods driven but its a little more relaxed, yea there are hectic times (mutiple leakers) but most of the time its just paperwork.

New Englander

I can say from honestly seeing it.......

The ones the supervisors ride for being slow are the same ones the union members joke about for being slow.

M

mthbstr

There's been allot of activity on this thread. Did we satisfy Aerosion's concern?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
The standard of work is a common sense issue. It is obvious to everybody who the slackers are and I'll never understand why the union is so adamant about defending them.

How DARE you make sense like this? Common sense? Show me where in the little NMA book sit has that word, ANYWHERE. We don't need common sense, we must STAND TOGETHER and FIGHT to save this under-performing whining slackers job because...uh, because we......um...... well just because!!

Guess what? There are jerk managers. There are jerk employees. And, big suprise, there are jerk managers and jerk employees who work at other places than UPS! Amazing!

Life sucks - get a ******helmet

Last edited by a moderator: