what is the most effective way to get a job as a package handler

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

and what is the job title of the package helpers, the guys that ride alongside the drivers and help deliver packages. how can i become one of them, is it the same process. also i have another part time job, would it be possible to only work three days instead of all five as an assistant to a driver?

They are called driver helpers but are also known as jumpers. Generally you must be available 5 days a week, especially after Dec. 1st or thereabouts, but each center is different and they may be able (and willing) to accomodate your schedule. I do know that in my center they would not and, as a driver, I prefer having the same helper throughout Peak.

Ramned

and what is the job title of the package helpers, the guys that ride alongside the drivers and help deliver packages. how can i become one of them, is it the same process. also i have another part time job, would it be possible to only work three days instead of all five as an assistant to a driver?

If you want to stay awhile I would apply for package handler. During the holidays driver helpers are hired but usually it's temporary employment for the holidays only. Same goes for seasonal package handlers but if you apply now you'll be able to stay. Peak season starts around October I think but REAL peak season is November - early January.

one more kind of random question, im not to keen to the idea of posting my social security number online. would ups get mad if i used a different one or changed some numbers in there and just said i messed up?

klein

Für Meno :)
one more kind of random question, im not to keen to the idea of posting my social security number online. would ups get mad if i used a different one or changed some numbers in there and just said i messed up?

just use 99999999... it should be optional.
We have different laws here, even if you apply for a credit card here.
That social number is optional.
They can go by birthdate, birthplace instead.

P

pickup

It would only make more work for them at the very least for them to have to change it as it is in the computer. As an HR person, I would be very suspect of having a candidate mess up numbers of a number he should know very well. I would be thinking how is he going to mess up the addresses of the boxes he delivers?
Your correct social security number would still end in the ups computer system. Also, I believe that you even though you might think your application is complete,that if they decide to hire you, they will add more stuff to fill out(like tax withholding forms). To access your application, you will have to use your social security number and password.

Do it right the first time, bite the bullet and use your correct social security
number. Just my opinion